Dynaudio BM5 Mk III

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Dynaudio BM5 Mk III
« on: 22 Aug 2016, 12:46 am »
Limited interest in these parts for active speakers, but used almost exclusively in the recording, mixing, and mastering studios of the world.  Studio monitors have a reputation of being dry, fatiguing, un-involving, and highly analytical in near-field settings which in part can be true as they are used to nitpick and they are working tools, not designed for enjoyment (emotional connection) and use in-room.

Note that I differentiate between powered and active.  Powered speakers have a design similar to what is associated with passive (typical home audio) speakers in that the crossover comes downstream of the power amplification.  A large percentage of powered speakers (like Audioengine) put both channels of amplification in the same cabinet.  Advantages of powered speakers include cost/space savings and the designer (who should know best) has selected the amp to go with the speaker.

Active speakers place the crossover between the source and the amplification.  They also use one amp per driver.  These further advantages over powered design are not subtle.  The crossover, now low powered can be much more sophisticated even incorporate DSP.  The amps can be fine tuned to the simpler load of a single driver and without the power robbing crossover “in the way” can be smaller.

I encourage you to read up on the additional advantages.  About 16 years ago I auditioned Paradigm Studio 20 v.2 ($800/pair 2-way stand-mounts) versus Paradigm Active 20’s ($1600/pair, using the same drivers/cabinet).  It was an epiphany, not even close.  The actives were way more dynamic, provided flat frequency response (a revelation in itself), and the deep/full bass was gob-smacking.  So since then I’ve been intrigued by the concept and have been a single driver fan.

I picked up the Dyn’s when Amazon dropped the price to $425/each (typical street price $600/each).  They have a rated output of 118 dB/w/m with F3 = 42 Hz.  Not bad for a 17 pound 12.5” x 7.5” x 11” speaker with 7” woofer and 1.1” tweeter (hand built in Denmark) both driven by 50-watt class D amps.  XLR and single ended inputs.  Standard tone adjustments plus subwoofer roll-off but only a 3 step input level adjustment.  Recommended for listening distances of 1 – 3 meters.

Associated equipment:
-   13ft x 21ft x 8ft room, 6ft equilateral near-field setup, 6 GIK 244 panels
-   MacBook Air via 3-meter Straight Wire USB cable
-   DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core DAC/preamp/DSP with Channel Island Audio power supply
-   $9/each Monoprice 15ft XLR cables, stock C7 power cords, cheap stands

Listening impressions:
-   I regularly listen near-field, so no adjustment needed in that regard
-   Quite enjoyable (clear, sweet, pleasant, rich, full, solid, powerful, full range/large sound)
-   Very accurate, especially mids/highs with musical finesse/cohesive/refined presentation
-   Dynamic as expected, bass is well behaved (tight)
-   Works with all genres of music
-   Break in took only a few hours (I’m at 90 hours now)
-   Turned down the treble by 1 dB to accommodate some material
-   Good imaging, however soundstage thins out as they are spread out to 10ft apart (OK at 8ft)
-   Bass is good up to about 95 dB, then becomes one note and X-max is reached (sub recommended)

Conclusions:
-   Extreme value at this price (remember no power amps needed)
-   A joy to be able to assemble such a simple system (I’m a purist/KISS guy)
-       Did not try the $100/pair Iso-Acoustic stands that were included as they were used in-room on stands
-   Best for small spaces, keep at least 10” from back wall
-   Needs subwoofer help to reach the highest spls and lowest frequencies
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2016, 11:56 am by JLM »

dcfis

Re: Dynaudio BM5 Mk III
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2016, 01:58 am »
Great review! I am headed that way myself as I am building a house and am renting for about a year. My only listening room is a small converted office and I dont have the need, want to drag out the separates. I just have to see how this can work out as there seems to be many benefits you mention. I have had an itch ever since nht mad those amazing xds systems a decade or so ago. I am starting with a aurillac streamer to APS Klasik monitors (awaiting the release of the HiFi version they are about to release as it has grills, soft start and veneers. Since they are so highly thought of and they have a more traditional HiFi speaker look. Flat and full range into the 30s- yummy.

RoadTripper

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2016, 05:31 am »
Given that I don't have any of this: DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core DAC/preamp/DSP with Channel Island Audio power supply  as you are using, would I control the volume of these via my laptop?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2016, 11:34 am »
JLM,

Thanks for heads up and the subjective review JLM. Hopefully this speaker set will be reviewed with some objective data from of the usual online mags in the future.

Best,
Anand.

JLM

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2016, 11:42 am »
defis,

For a temporary solution I'd frankly save some money and look at the $300/pair JBL LSR305.  Briefly compared the two yesterday afternoon and they're definitely in the same league.  Yes I was looking at the APS Coax (sealed, enclosed electronics) and Neuman KH120 (totally professional build/sound) but they were twice the money versus the sale I caught.

Seminarian,

Most don't recommend using the computer's digital volume control (unless you have 32 bit software like JRiver) due to how they work (shaving peaks rather than generally compressing signal).  Yesterday we tried to audition a Dragonfly DAC (models run $100-200) that stick into the side of your computer like a memory stick and another guy brought his $30 XLR/RCA convertor box that also had volume controls.  So "cheap and cheerful" solutions exist.

maty,

Thanks for the link and additional information.  Yes, mine came with the $100/pair Iso-Acoustic stands but has I'm listening in room I put them on stands so the Iso-Acoustics haven't left their boxes yet.  But my very long term plans are to use these on my rather large desk.

Anand,

Thanks for the kind words.  Sound-on-Sound has favorably reviewed the BM5 Mk II and Compact Mk III.  Frankly except for the sale I happened upon I don't see the BM Mk III particularly outstanding among quality active monitors.  I hope the audiophile world some day wakes up to the advantages of active design.

mr_bill

« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2016, 01:06 pm »
JLM
These are great reviews- thanks for doing!
Have you listened to any of the more expensive JBL powered or active speakers?
I am very intrigued by active speakers and considering a pair.

maty

« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2016, 02:25 pm »
With 5.7" woofer:

[Review] Dynaudio BM Compact mkIII

-> http://en.audiofanzine.com/active-monitor/dynaudio/bm-compact-mkiii/editorial/reviews/danish-sound.html

Frequency graph -> http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/870676.png

You know, I do not like tweeter with cheap? class D amp to listen very good recordings.

bummrush

« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2016, 03:13 pm »
That really does seem a very fair price,especially when you know the quality behind the speakers.

JLM

« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2016, 04:55 pm »
mr bill,

I've heard the British AVI ADM 9's a few years back.  They are 2-way stand-mounts with built in preamp/DAC.  They were fresh out of the box, dealer said break in not required but I wasn't impressed (for $2500/pair).  They've been updating almost constantly for the past 4 years.  Check out Audiostream.com for reviews of desktop active monitors.  My BM5 Mk III is the professional big brother of their top rated $2000/pair Excite X14A.

The only other active speakers I've heard are cheap ones at Guitar Center.  The upper JBL's I'm aware of are designed to be used with Crown power amps (both owned by Harmon).  You do have to be aware that the intended purpose of studio monitors is as working tools, not entertainment, so little tolerance is given to colorations or imbalances that many audiophiles strive for. 

And with active speakers your system can get very simple with little to shield your manhood insecurities.   :wink:

maty,

I'm aware of your distaste for class D amps, but I encourage you to keep an open mind.  The active speaker camp (like most "speaker guys") really down play the amplifiers.  And not all class D amps are the same.

bummrush,

Yep, especially those JBL 305's. 

dcfis

« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2016, 09:11 pm »
Some of the best amps today are class d do those with the view of class d of yesterday better get used to it. I do know a guy selling dyn bm5 mkii for 600 a pair. I might pick those up. Also if you live in a big city there are music rental places you can rent studio monitors. Here I can rent neumann for $90/ month all the Adams, presonus, krk down to the jbls for 26/month. So be sure to look those places up

JLM

« Reply #11 on: 22 Aug 2016, 09:47 pm »
dcfis,

You lucky dog.  Renting would be a great way to audition.  My Toyota dealer rents by the day, week, or month.

RoadTripper

« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2016, 07:32 pm »
Hey JLM,

Do you like/use the stands they come with?

JLM

« Reply #13 on: 26 Aug 2016, 10:31 am »
Hey JLM,

Do you like/use the stands they come with?

Sorry, currently have no use for the Iso-Acoustic stands so I still haven't even opened the box they came in.  All listening ad been in-room on floor stands. 

In fact after bringing them home from our audio meeting the Dyn's haven't left their boxes either as i prefer my "babies" (Brines Acoustics M18-F200 that use the "mighty" Fostex F200A 8 inch AlNiCo driver rated 30-20,000 Hz mounted in floor-standing transmission lines with Late Ceiling Splash tweeters).  But you've inspired me to pull them out again.

Part of the reason for buying them was to have replacements ready should by babies or the accompanying mono-blocks should crap out and to gain flexibility to use desktop or in-room with a swarm of subwoofers (see Audio Kinesis child circle).  And based on what I've heard, would have no qualms giving up the AlNiCo warmth for the added mid/treble accuracy of the Dynaudio's with subs.

RoadTripper

« Reply #14 on: 26 Aug 2016, 01:43 pm »
Well, JLM, I bought a pair based on your recommendation.

JLM

« Reply #15 on: 26 Aug 2016, 03:08 pm »
Well, JLM, I bought a pair based on your recommendation.

Wow, someone actually listens to me?  The responsibility of it all is overwhelming.   :green:

Hope you enjoy them.  Got mine hooked back up again.  An AC buddy tells me Dynaudios take a long time to finally break in.  Don't know exactly what that means, but my Fostex F200A AlNiCo drivers reportedly took 500 hours (that's what others say, but how could you really know after that long)?

RoadTripper

« Reply #16 on: 26 Aug 2016, 03:56 pm »
Oh, I listen to you all right. I was in Grand Rapids this May and thought about trekking my way to your place for a visit. Couldn't fit it in though. As for the Dynaudios I plan on hooking them into my living room rig for a comparo. Otherwise, though, they'll be a desktop recording studio solution.

JLM

« Reply #17 on: 27 Aug 2016, 10:50 am »
Wow, had no idea we were that close to meeting. 

Anyway, just read an interview with David Janzen who discussed the advantages of active design (they sell both):

1.)  Confidence that optimal amplification is used
2.)  Elimination of speaker cable that can alter the sound
3.)  Drivers aren't part of the crossover circuit
4.)  Lack of parasitic reactances and resistances in the crossover
5.)  Higher spls and best transient response without driver damage
6.)  Crossover can include EQ/DSP to tweak cabinet edge, floor bounce, limit extreme frequencies in drivers.
7.)  Multiple settings are possible to account for room placement, personal preferences, etc.
8.)  Direct connection of each amp to each driver (so the amp can better react to the simpler load).
9.)  Input voltage can be adjusted to give the ideal S/N ratio.
10.)  No wasted energy.
11.)  No reduction in damping factors.
12.)  No degradation of dynamics.
13.)  No undue phase shifting.
14.)  Higher crossover slopes possible to keep drivers in their "comfort" zone.
15.)  Flatter frequency response.
16.)  Deeper/fuller bass.
17.)  Cost savings (fewer cabinets, XLR vs. speaker cable).
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2016, 09:15 pm by JLM »