4.5" driver update

Louis O

4.5" driver update
« on: 16 May 2012, 10:17 pm »
Hi all,

The new 4.5" drivers are finalized. They are better than alnico version.

The production is on and are being built now. The improvements are huge.

I will have all the info and pictures up by the weekend.

Lots of big news too including OB drivers and some DIY drivers too.

Thanks,
Louis

almonduck

Re: 4.5" driver update
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2012, 11:57 pm »
Louis,
Great news.  Looking forward to hearing more details soon.  Will the new 4.5 drivers be using the same Super 5 and Super 5xrs cabinets?

Louis O

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2012, 09:58 pm »
Hi almonduck,

Many thanks and they will fit. I'm also expanding the line. Working on the finished examples right now.

I will have a refit kit available for existing speakers.

Thanks,
Louis

SuperXRSSeattle

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2012, 07:46 pm »
 :o

Hi Louis, will they fit in my Super 3 XRS? If so, are they more linear -
not that they might be, but versus the stock ones from years back, what is the sonic signature like? I'm thinking I might like to try! What is the break in period?

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2012, 09:44 pm »
Hi SuperXRSSeattle,

They sure do. I will have the fit kit which includes the drivers and the ports.

They are way more linear and have deeper bass and the mid-bass is a lot fuller. These are faster and more sensitive too. Best part the break in reduced by 75%.

Thanks,
Louis

SuperXRSSeattle

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2012, 10:30 pm »
WOW
that sounds great, Louis. Very exciting.

Louis O

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2012, 09:42 pm »
Hi SuperXRSSeattle,

Thanks and these are a game changer. Huge difference and I will have quite of few speakers using them including the Super 3 XRS. I'm actually going back to the super 3 series name for all the speakers using this driver.

I have a special version low Q driver set up for DIY too. They have a dual magnet system with primary Ferrite and secondary Neodymium. I called it Neo-charged.

I hope to have the pictures up tomorrow.

Thanks,
Louis

Louis O

« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2012, 05:57 pm »

ZLS

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2012, 11:24 pm »
    Louis,

Several questions:

1. How complicated is it going to be to change out the port; any special tools involved? 

2. How does this affect, if at all, the Hoyt-Bedford Speakers? 

3. and, oh yeah, I almost forgot, what is the cost going to be? 

Thank You

nature boy

« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2012, 01:59 am »
Louis, congratulations on your new 4.5" driver.  Now if you can build a powered desktop speaker around this driver... then the world may be your oyster. 

Let me tell you why based on my unscientific survey - a few of my sons friends over to listen to their iPod music last week.  I converted their compressed mp3 files into Apple Lossless and then hooked up their iPods to my dedicated two channel system for a listening session.  They listened is awe, but all politely chirped up "we can't afford a system like that".  Then I hooked it up to my bedroom system, a used Sophia Baby integrated and pair of modified ART (Applied Research Technology) two-way monitors (less than $400 total).  All I kept hearing was "Holy Crap, I didn't know music could sound so good".

This convinced me uncompressed music played on an iPod, a pair of high quality ear buds or a quality powered monitor (4.5" driver is perfect) could be the ticket to giving the current generation a ticket on the audiophile bus.  Well, a qualified maybe who knows what drives teenage consumerism these days.  Oh, make sure they are available in iPod Nano matching colors.

NB 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2012, 03:40 am »
Wow, good news on the new drivers!

My question is how do they compare to the 6" driver?

I think I preferred the 6" bookshelfs to my Super 3 XRS... hard to tell listening in different setups, but I have been waiting for the 4.5 alnico instead of buying a 6" speaker and selling my 4.5s (for a few years now I think  :wink:).

Also, do you have pricing and availability?

SuperXRSSeattle

« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2012, 11:26 pm »
a powered desktop could be bodacious!

On the porting question - or rather the cabinet design. Louis, I have the circa 2006 or so Super 3's. I think you may have changed the box since then? Anyway, the new drivers and port...ok to go on the older boxes?

The 4.5 lives!

Also loving my my Hoyt-Bedford Type 2

What cheap & cheerful stereo amp for the new 4.5 Driver?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2012, 03:08 am »

What cheap & cheerful stereo amp for the new 4.5 Driver?

I'm still very happy with my Simple SE, currently building a matching Aikido 6SN7 preamp...

http://www.tubelab.com/Simple_SE.htm

Louis O

« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2012, 08:45 pm »

Hi all some more info:

The new Driver will be called Omega RS5 and still made in the U.S.A.

It's been a long while that I started to work on a new 4.5" driver. It all started with the alnico and a redo of the magnet system. Taking the existing driver and converting it to alnico would have ended up costing tons of money and lots of new tooling. What ended up happening was pretty much a redo of the existing driver.

Cost wise this was a better way to go especially now. I rethought the driver and changed all the soft components and the voice coil assembly. Also I have incorporated the dual magnet system with Ferrite and Neodymium.

The end result which took a very long time was way beyond my expectations. What I was looking to do is get the balance as linear as possible without any loss to speed, transparency and top end. The biggest hurdle was getting the deep bass extended and increase the mid-bass. All was accomplished and even raised the sensitivity as a bonus. 

What's new:

Redesigned and reformulated cone. I call it Omegacone and it's an all fiber cone. It's designed for full range operation. The cone is ultra light weight for speed, accuracy and detail.

Redesigned the surround. It's now an inverted and still treated fabric. It attaches to the underside of the cone and is very clean. The surround and spider has more give and moves easier. The break in is now reduced to 100 hours max.

The voice coil is 3/4" as before with a new former.

The dustcap is a treated paper/felt assembly.

The frame/basket is the same so retrofitting is easy.

Sensitivity is close to 95dB.

The Super 3 series will keep some models and I will introduce a new model. The bipole will be back and redesigned too.

Well it did take a while, but they are in production right now. I will update with the progress.

Thanks again,
Louis
« Last Edit: 23 May 2012, 10:01 pm by Louis O »

Louis O

« Reply #14 on: 23 May 2012, 09:24 pm »
Hi ZLS,

The port is easy to change out and you will need a hot melt glue gun to install.
Also I will be happy to do the refits here at the shop.

Not at all. They are different and very balanced. The sensitivity is higher and they are very dynamic. The 4.5's are very fast, transparent and the imaging and soundstaging is incredible.

Still working on the cost for the refits. I will have a special price for the kit as I would like to get the old drivers back to recycle.

I will also work on the price for the DIY version.

Hi nature boy,

Many thanks and you’re right about that. I have been working on this as well.
The project I worked on with Symbol made me think about desktop audio. I do have all the right components and even a great 2.1 amp that sounds awesome. The RS5 driver will be perfect with this application.

Great news about your survey and I agree with you 100 percent. You’re spot on with your observations and I agree. I have been working on a 3 piece system as well as the Super 3i  type of speaker as a great desktop piece.

Rob at Audio Boutique is also looking forward to this system.

Hi DaveC113,

Thanks and 3 XRS’s will be transformed. The Super 6 driver is the best balanced and the most linear though.

The new driver just adds that extra depth the old driver didn’t have and the speed is electrostatic like. It’s been a long time and just didn’t want to give up after hearing about the cost of the alnico. It was a lot.

Still working on the prices and I will update on the availability as we go.

Your amp is  beautiful and I’m sure it’s sounds great as it looks.

Hi SuperXRSSeattle,

It sure would. I’ll be working on this one now. I will make a 3 piece with the smaller woofer I worked on. The 2.1 amp has a dedicated sub channel and bass control. The new RS5 is very versatile and can work in small cabinets.

No worry at all and you can keep the 3 XRS and use the refit kit. It will work perfectly.

It does and sorry it took this long.

Awesome news and the Hoyt’s are going very well. A new review of the Type 1.5 is coming out soon.

Best part the RS5 drivers are not fussy at all with amplifiers. I used at least 10 amps with them including solid state.

chadh

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jul 2012, 07:17 pm »

Wow.  I haven't been here in AGES.  But this is the best (audio-related) news I've heard in years. 

I've been happily using my Super 3 XRS speakers with the original ferrite drivers for a long time now (actively crossing over to a swarm of Audiokenesis subs).  I kept putting off the upgrade to the hemp drivers partly because of the long break-in, and partly because I kept hoping a new, improved AlNiCo driver was coming out. 

Well, they may not be AlNiCo, but the new drivers sound exciting.  And with my little 5w Music Reference amp, a little increase in sensitivity will be appreciated too.

Chad

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #16 on: 18 Jul 2012, 01:59 am »
BUMP!

How's are the new drivers going Louis?  :P

Louis O

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jul 2012, 09:24 pm »
Hi DaveC113,

Thanks and they are almost ready.

I will be getting a mini order in first and looks like the beginning of August.

Thanks,
Louis

bigjppop

« Reply #18 on: 22 Jul 2012, 05:40 am »
Do you have a rough price yet?

barbes

« Reply #19 on: 3 Aug 2012, 02:28 pm »
Very interested in this for (I hope) home install as well.