"All Battery" modded TEAC is here

doggie

« Reply #20 on: 25 Apr 2005, 12:33 pm »
Quote from: Dmason
Maybe I can help.

Left "ON," the Tripath chip is only switching away, not amplifying anything, and as such draws very little power. It ~could be left on. The 12 hour thing is about a playing cycle, not ON cycle.

I am glad to hear this. I am running a modded SI with a Scott Nixon DacKit, both using SLA's. I find that the SI sounds only fair for the first 10 minutes, sounds good after 20 minutes, and wonderful after about 30 minutes. I am pushing AKG K-1000 headphones, not speakers.

My listening habits and free time only allow me two hours max per session and most often just an hour so warmup is a factor for me. I think that I will do some battery run-down tests to see how long it takes my fully charged battery to drop below 12 volts while running without music. Anyone have an idea how much current a DAC would draw with no music signal on the input?

If someone wanted to really make this amp perfect they could build a tweaked charging circuit that would feed 12v to the amp while charging the battery and then let you switch back to battery power just for listening. Best of both worlds...

Paul

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #21 on: 25 Apr 2005, 12:48 pm »
Quote from: nodiak
I hear you about no warm up needed, but that isn't the only reason for my habits. Much of my work is done from my shop which is at my residence. So I'm here often and play music alot during the day. But most days I'll go to a store, lunch, clients, etc. a couple or more times a day. I'm just not going to think about turning the music or system off when I leave, and back on when I return. And I'm not going to set up a different lesser system for the day, I like quality sound all day long, just like at night  ...

Hi Don,

I am in the process of updating my webpage, which will soon have a "Clari-T Customization" section.  This will show upgrade options such as Black Gates for the power supply pins, stepped attenuators, fancier RCAs and Binding Posts, custom "dual-mono" units in slightly larger enclosures, and a larger battery is definitely an option.  This will require the larger 6 x 8 x 3" enclosure, but I can put a larger battery in there that will allow you to play as long as you need between charges.  How long?  Over 24 hours is not a problem with a 5Ah battery  :P

I've been getting emails regarding the custom Reali-T amp that I built for Dmason.  Custom units like this CAN BE DONE!

Dmason

« Reply #22 on: 25 Apr 2005, 01:15 pm »
Don

I agree with Paul Bui; It is simply a matter of battery size. Bigga juice mean betta hours. Problem solved. Now we all understand.

AND, it will get through the tedious break in time far faster with your run times. I would suggest the ClariT with a separate enclosure for a bigger, -or more batteries, and you sir, are good to go! After awhile, what will change, IMO, is that you wont be able to work without it playing, doing its thing.

As you are used to the 2-3 watts of the Zen, the ClariT will seem like a muscle amp to you. It would be worth considering keeping both amps, as sonically, in their respective camps, they are about as good as it gets. (IMHO)

nodiak

« Reply #23 on: 25 Apr 2005, 02:57 pm »
Right on right on right on! Now we're butterin the biscuits! Thanks Vinnie! Now I can move on into checking out your amps. Cool.
    Dmason, sounds like this is what you've done too. How is the Reali-T working out? Well, actually it's probably posted in the forum. I'll run around some more and get caught up.
    Thanks folks.
    Don

Dmason

« Reply #24 on: 25 Apr 2005, 03:54 pm »
Don

With the RealiT really starting to show itself, my interest in audio stuff is currently about nil. This set up is as good as it will ever need to get in my ears. It shows zero sign of digital anything, on good recordings. Excellent recordings are truly jaw-dropping wonders, especially direct to disk Big Stuff, played on open baffle speakers. In the dark, the walls disappear, leaving me in the hall. Quite an illusion. As all the components are starting to work their way in, it gets better and better and .... :mrgreen:

miklorsmith

Another Way
« Reply #25 on: 25 Apr 2005, 04:15 pm »
I'm running a Modwright tubed CDP, Modwright tubed pre, Clari-T, Druids at 101 per.

Your recipe differs, monsieur, but methinks your soup tastes a lot like mine!  No boxes, no digital, no nasty crossovers, no going back.

I've got monoblocks on the way!

MarcD in NYC

Extra batteries are even better...
« Reply #26 on: 25 Apr 2005, 07:18 pm »
I can now vouch for the extra batteries.  I had my Clari-T/Longevi-T combo playing all weekend long.  I fired up my amp on Saturday afternoon and it played on till the wee hours of the night without a problem.  I didn't have to worry about running out of juice for at least 18 hours.  I put in my favorite "break-in" CD, and just let the Clari-T run.  I wasn't even in the same room most the time.  This is going to make running the Clari-T through its break-in, a breeze.

I have been running them with my Omega Grande 8's (I am saving the Super 3's until they are more broken-in), and WOW!  Holy Smoke, this little Clari-T really packs a punch.  I can't believe how much power and volume I am getting out of this amp.  It sounds great with only 16 hours on the unit, but I will save my impressions on the sound until I have gotten to know the set-up a little better.  Can't wait to try this out with a back-loaded-horn... hopefully very soon.

Dmason

« Reply #27 on: 25 Apr 2005, 07:28 pm »
Wait til you DO hear it with your hopefully-very-soon FE166esr horns. Very special stuff. I only wish they would fit in my place. Horns and open baffles put the ClariT into perspective.

Zero

« Reply #28 on: 25 Apr 2005, 07:29 pm »
DMason,

I am curious, what speakers do you use with the clari-t

GuyL

Re: Battery Modded Teac
« Reply #29 on: 26 Apr 2005, 12:35 pm »
Quote from: nodiak
GuyL, I have a Decware Zen C set amp and love it for it's tone and "atmosphere". But it lacks the power I need, unfortunately. Do you have any experience with tube amps to compare the modded Teac to ? I can tell it will have plenty of power, and I like the longer playback before recharging.
    Do you consider it to have good "tone", that is instruments sound like themselves. A little warmth in the midrange wouldn't hurt.
    Unfortunately I couldn't find any $99 ones anywhere, $198 was the best price, could still be worth it.
    Don

Don,

I've heard the Zen amp in my system and although it sounded nice, it failed to impress me. It was clear but the extention in the bass was very poor ( I was driving a 101 db, Altec 604's with it) and the soundstage wasn't that deep (more like 2 dimentional).

I've owned and still own many tube amps and  think that the TEAC is  much better than the Zen amp which sounded like a low power solid state amp to me.

Dmason

« Reply #30 on: 26 Apr 2005, 01:02 pm »
Sean,

Just about any good driver, the higher sensitivity, the more detail and dynamics, works a treat with Vinnie's amps. T amp control and battery power work to great effect. I had NO IDEA there was so much detail on Redbook CD, as when the system becomes as simplified as my own, using good speakers.

Just in the last day or so, now the unit is going on two weeks old, it is really, and I mean REALLY starting to come together. If any of you are thinking about the idea of combining source with amp, shorten signal paths, and removing 8 solder joints, 8 fittings, 2 interconnects, and 6 feet of wiring, among other things, DOES make a difference, a big one, I suggest. The Reclock circuit apparently shifts alot of the jitter beyond the audible BW, whatever dude, when mixed with the Tripath sound = absolute liquid sound. On some albums last night, it sounded very like a good vinyl rig being played through a very good tube rig. This effect came and went, but you get the picture. One begets the other... Excellent, destination level combo. Highly recommended.