What are your favorite Klipsch speakers?

BaronKyle

• The more I see, the less I know for sure.
What are your favorite Klipsch speakers?
« on: 13 Aug 2015, 06:35 am »
I'm thinking more vintage, heritage models, but you can list some newer models if you like them.

(Chorus, forte, quartet, heresy, KG series, etc)

Also, has anyone heard the Klipschorn or La Scala before?  How would you describe these models?

Cheers!
Kyle

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: What are your favorite Klipsch speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2015, 12:06 pm »
I prefer only the two way models.
Which the RF83 have the most astonishing Basss.
I have listen Forte 2 which also have a nice bass
and great on clarinet solos according Audio(Germany).

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2015, 12:08 pm »
Hey Kyle,
Two local guys have k-horns so maybe they'll chime in soon.  Until they do, seems like people like the Chorus and Forte' pretty well in the "not quite so heritage" line of Klipsch.  Some love for the CF line,too.   

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2015, 12:24 pm »
I have owned La Scala's since the early 80's. I have replaced the crossovers and the tweeter with Bob Crites designs. They are really hard to beat in terms of dynamics and ease to drive them. I kept them and moved to MGIIIa's and now on to PMC's.

The La Scala's are great for relatively loud rock and can blow you away. I originally drove them with the original son of Ampzilla 90 watt amp with an Advent model 300 that I used as a preamp. I grew a bit tired of the mid range which can honk at you now and then and the bass (lower base) is not there. There are many tips on upgrading them you can find at the Klipsch forum such as flush tweeters vs insets, braces for the base cabinet etc.
All in all I enjoyed them very much but they lack crispness and detail.

I currently have them stored in a spare room and have promised them to my son when he gets out of grad school.
I have a close friend that has had the KHorns for about the same time. I really loved the sound of them. Seemed to be more crisp and better bottom end, biggest issue is you need the room and corners to put them in.

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2015, 11:52 pm »
Growing up, my brother and I bought Cornwalls, LaScalas and K-Horns. Had a great times with them but as for the sound, I loved them then but my ears have evolved since then and I couldn't really tell you if I'd still like them.

My brother said that room treatments (deadening the sound) is essential for them. (I haven't visited my brother's home in a long time.) Also, I've read dampening the metal midrange horn improves things immensely.

So simply memory-wise, I love the Klipschorns!

Mr Peabody

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2015, 04:01 am »
I really liked a set of Forte I owned,nicely balanced and better bottom end than the Heritage models I've heard.  I had a set of Heresy III that were decent but seemed the midrange was some pronounced and as some stated the bottom octave was missing and a quick roll off made it obvious on familiar music.  Despite the faults I wish I had the room to keep a set of Klipsch something around to play with.  I biamped the Heresy using a Parasound amp on the horns, this amp has gain controls that allowed me to set the horns to the woofers balance I preferred, then they sounded great, and punched like a prize fighter.

The newer Reference line is good although I prefer the Reference series prior, the one where the RF63 had the three 6 inch drivers.  These newer Reference are nicely balanced, better extended with smoother response.

I heard Paladiums, one tower and one bookshelf model.  The sound is pretty good but for the money there is serious competition.

I'd make room somehow if anyone wants to donate me a set of Chorus II or Cornwalls.  See, I'm not greety in my request :)

I don't mean to go off topic but if you want to hear some nice horn speakers for the home the JBL Array series is excellent.  However, they aren't designed for flea watt amps.  I tried a set of 1400's in my system at one point, I couldn't do them justice with Conrad Johnson 100 watt monoblocks.  The horns they use, in even the entry series are really smooth.