Headphone Transparency

Mag

Headphone Transparency
« on: 20 Aug 2020, 02:38 pm »
Headphones can be ruthlessly transparent or revealing depending on which cans you purchase.

I rarely listen with my Headphones but you know I have 'em. When auditioning 'em the differences are subtle when comparing to other Models. So I listen very carefully having used headphones before, for clarity.

Little did I know when I finally got around to actually trying 'em out. That my cans are so revealing I can hear reverb in the recording. Which I never heard with my loudspeakers, which are neutral sounding but also transparent to recordings.

But I wouldn't trade my Cans for a lesser revealing headphones. I like knowing I have Cans that out perform my loudspeakers. :smoke:

dflee

Re: Headphone Transparency
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2020, 03:53 pm »
And those cans are?
I went through a number of cans until my Auteurs.
And yes they are more transparent but there are things speakers
do that cans just can not duplicate.

Don
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2020, 05:22 pm by dflee »

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2020, 04:05 pm »
I didn't want to promote what I bought but okay.
Beyerdynamic Custom Studio, paid approx. $450 CDN

dflee

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2020, 05:37 pm »
Tell us a little more about what your playing them through.
I've found that what's upstream can change the sound of the cans.

Don

Mag

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2020, 07:10 pm »
Tell us a little more about what your playing them through.
I've found that what's upstream can change the sound of the cans.

Don

Presently I'm using Leowa Blu ray Player on i7 computer Windows 10. I certainly can't re-review all my music to answer this post accurately. Output is usb- dvd quality to Bryston BDA-1 upscaled to 192k to Bryston SP2 dac- digital stereo upscaled another 96k. SP2 to Yamaha MG-10 mixer to headphones.

Most of my music recordings in regular rotation have been tweaked previously. So when I say I hear reverb in a recording, it maybe because I had the reverb knob slightly On on the mixer but never noticed with playback over Loudspeakers.

With Yamaha MG-10 mixer I can fine tune sound for headphones. But I don't really change settings much from Loudspeaker use except +2 instead of +3 on Bass tone setting.

These cans don't sound harsh at all to my ears and I've had harsh sounding cans in the past. And I was certainly listening for that when I demoed 'em. :smoke:

dflee

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2020, 07:30 pm »
That is an interesting set up.
Glad you like the cans. Listened to Byers a while
back and enjoyed them. I need to improve my source
equipment to the Mytek Liberty dac/amp.

Don

Freo-1

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2020, 12:59 am »
I enjoy my headphone setup.  Using a Sony X-1100ES as a source, going to a RME ADI-2 DAC, which allows for crossfeed and digital EQ which can be adjusted to one's specific headphones.  The headphone amp is a Mjolnir Audio Pure Bipolar,  which drives a pair of Focal Stellia headphones.    Competes with the absolute best speaker setup. 

dflee

« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2020, 01:45 am »
Hey Freo:
There is nothing in either of your systems I wouldn't love to have, does the headphone system compete with the slam of those floor standers? I do do agree with Mag in transparency but in a way it's like apples and oranges.