Like so-cool,,,,, Mag-Lev tt

2bigears

Like so-cool,,,,, Mag-Lev tt
« on: 18 Aug 2022, 03:18 am »
 :D hello AC gals and gents.  Does anyone have the know of the $ 3500.00 Mag-Lev TT. It has such great features and is totally interesting. Just discovered this tonight looking around on the screen.  :D

toocool4

Re: Like so-cool,,,,, Mag-Lev tt
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2022, 08:12 am »
I saw and heard it at Munich High End show back in 2019, it looks interesting but it’s not ready for prime time yet.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2022, 11:42 am »
There's at least one thread here about it. It was largely a failure. Hundreds of Kickstarter backers lost their pledges when the company reorganized several times. The reliability seems to be very low, and parts/service problematic. You can read through the comments from the last few years of development here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/245727224/mag-lev-audio-the-first-levitating-turntable/comments

2bigears

« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2022, 07:09 pm »
 :D thanks for the info. A little far off yet by the sounds. But there is a dude saying we will live on Mars soon ,,,,haha. What an idiot.

levvel

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2023, 07:24 pm »
Cool, but it really needs a magnetic levitation tangential tracking arm.

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2023, 01:58 pm »
My early Mapleknoll turntable has an air bearing for the massive platter and an air bearing linear tracking arm. The arm has a magnetic counter balance system with a big knob on the deck that lets you adjust the tracking force while the disk plays - the one thing that I thought was really cool. Emminent technology took the air bearing arm idea and developed it to a very high state, but I don't think it had the magnetic counter balance capability. My Mapleknoll has been in storage ever since the original air pump died and I haven't been able to find a worthy replacement, so I'm done with vinyl. Worth considering is that a magnet system has to be very accurately mapped & adjusted for a constant field strength over the service length needed - not trivial!

ketchup

« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2023, 03:06 pm »
Check out the La Platine if you're into magnetic levitation:
http://www.jcverdier.com/ADSL/PLATINE_VERDIERphotos.html