Spatial Audio - New X Class Product Announcement

Kozi

Re: Spatial Audio - New X Class Product Announcement
« Reply #140 on: 26 Jul 2019, 08:21 pm »
Awesome Clayton,  can't wait for my pair to arrive.

guf

« Reply #141 on: 3 Aug 2019, 06:07 pm »
Those are really beautiful, you are definitely at the top of your game design wise :wink:!

I don't know if I missed it, but what are the in room specs for the passive/analog portion of this speaker?  Can I use my 2 watt Decware Zen Triode amp with them (room size about 25' x 25' with 10' foot ceiling)?

Thanks!
yeah also wondering... did i miss the specs somewhere?

Spatial Audio

« Reply #142 on: 3 Aug 2019, 06:22 pm »
Here are the X3 Specs:

Type: 3 way Dynamic Dipolar - Passive mid/treble section
Drivers: One Heil AMT Mid/ Treble, One 12 inch Paper Cone Midrange -Neo Motor
            One 15 inch Powered Bass - Neo Motor 9mm Xmax
            Hypex Fusion N-Core 250 W bass amplifier with DSP
Frequency Range: 25Hz - 20kHz
Sensitivity: 97dB
Impedance: 8 Ω Nominal
Dimensions: 47T x 18W x 3D baffle
Weight: 85 lbs net each, 95 lbs shipping each
US$ 7500 pr

Clayton

davek

« Reply #143 on: 5 Aug 2019, 09:13 pm »
Hi Clayton, thanks for the the x3 specs, can you list the specs for the x5?
I do think they were listed at the beginning of the launch but I can't find any info. TIA..

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #144 on: 6 Aug 2019, 12:56 am »
Last week I sent Clayton an email asking for the X3 specs. I wanted to see if they will fit on the isolation stands I have when they finally get here.  He sent complete specs for both X3 and X5.  This is what he sent for the X5:

Type: 3 way Dynamic Dipolar - Passive mid/treble section
Drivers: One Heil AMT Mid/ Treble, One 12 inch Paper Cone Midrange -Neo Motor
            One 12 inch Powered Subwoofer driver
            Hypex Fusion N-Core 250 W bass amplifier with DSP
Frequency Range: 25Hz - 20kHz
Sensitivity: 97dB
Impedance: 8 Ω Nominal
Dimensions: 42T x 16W x 3D baffle
Weight: 75 lbs net each
US$ 5950 pr

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #145 on: 6 Aug 2019, 04:20 am »
Hey Clayton - I am very interested in the new X series as a replacement for my M3TMs, but need to sell another pair of speakers first.  A question on X3 vs X5.  I use a pair of GR Research dual 12" servo subs and they definitely add a little to the M3TMs.  I am thinking the X3s might do as well as the X5s in bass reproduction when I also use these subs.  In your opinion, would I gain anything by using the X5s over the X3s as long as I use the subs?

kingdeezie

« Reply #146 on: 6 Aug 2019, 07:54 pm »
Never mind. Misread the post above. My apologies.

guf

« Reply #147 on: 13 Aug 2019, 12:31 am »
Did we ever figure out or does anyone have experience being able to use low powered amp to only drive the top end section? I’m thinking a 45 tube. Like 1.5 watts. 

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #148 on: 13 Aug 2019, 01:13 am »
I sent Clayton a message saying that after my X3s get here I would like to try a tube amp, and was thinking of the Whammerdyne DGA-1, which I heard at the manufacturer's house, as well as the DAA3.  These are 4 watt 2A3 amps.  Clayton recommended them.  So I know 4 watts is enough. 

guf

« Reply #149 on: 13 Aug 2019, 01:30 am »
I sent Clayton a message saying that after my X3s get here I would like to try a tube amp, and was thinking of the Whammerdyne DGA-1, which I heard at the manufacturer's house, as well as the DAA3.  These are 4 watt 2A3 amps.  Clayton recommended them.  So I know 4 watts is enough.
thanks! great news

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #150 on: 13 Aug 2019, 02:51 am »
I'm very interested in the X5 but I wonder how these would work in my room? My speakers are about 8' apart and I sit about 10' away. There is a wall on the left side (as I face my speakers) of the room, but the right side is completely open to about 800-1000 sq ft. My couch is up against the back wall, but it's actually about a half wall open to a staircase going down, then a full back wall 5-6' further back. I think my space used to be a formal, but small, dining room or living room. The big issue is that one speaker is in a corner and the other is open on the side. I also can only pull the speakers out about 2', measured from front baffle to the wall. I'm using Salk Song3's now and they image and sound great, but I always wish I had a bigger room with equal distance from walls around each speaker.

I'd also love to see the different finish options side-by-side. I think I've seen the natural and honey on line, but not the walnut or black. If the black shows some of the grain it may look pretty cool, and I usually hate black speakers.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #151 on: 13 Aug 2019, 03:20 am »
I'm very interested in the X5 but I wonder how these would work in my room? My speakers are about 8' apart and I sit about 10' away. There is a wall on the left side (as I face my speakers) of the room, but the right side is completely open to about 800-1000 sq ft. My couch is up against the back wall, but it's actually about a half wall open to a staircase going down, then a full back wall 5-6' further back. I think my space used to be a formal, but small, dining room or living room. The big issue is that one speaker is in a corner and the other is open on the side. I also can only pull the speakers out about 2', measured from front baffle to the wall. I'm using Salk Song3's now and they image and sound great, but I always wish I had a bigger room with equal distance from walls around each speaker.

I'd also love to see the different finish options side-by-side. I think I've seen the natural and honey on line, but not the walnut or black. If the black shows some of the grain it may look pretty cool, and I usually hate black speakers.

This is exactly the type of room that OB speakers do well in, especially compared to box speakers.

yakbob

« Reply #152 on: 13 Aug 2019, 11:35 am »
abd1, I have a similar floor layout as you. One of my M3s is about 3' from a room corner and the other fires out the back to an open room. I wouldn't be too concerned with the asymmetry, but, if you can pull them out further into the room (3') for critical listening it would be better from a bass cancelling perspective. The X5s should be easy enough to slide around if you're willing to forgo floors spikes. If the X5 is anything like the M3, you may need a decent amount of toe in. This could also help with your floor plan.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #153 on: 13 Aug 2019, 03:52 pm »
abd1, I have a similar floor layout as you. One of my M3s is about 3' from a room corner and the other fires out the back to an open room. I wouldn't be too concerned with the asymmetry, but, if you can pull them out further into the room (3') for critical listening it would be better from a bass cancelling perspective. The X5s should be easy enough to slide around if you're willing to forgo floors spikes. If the X5 is anything like the M3, you may need a decent amount of toe in. This could also help with your floor plan.

Thanks for the input. I found that putting the speaker near the wall as close to the wall as I can and then toeing in a bit is best. I'm not scientific about it but I feel like by placing the speaker close to the wall the reflection point is close so there is less of a delay in the reflected sound. I saw a video of Klaus from Odyssey do this at some audio shows with his speakers and he was blown away with the results. I do hope to one day have a bigger, better listening space, but my space is pretty good overall. I'm glad to hear that the Spatials should work fine in this space. Now I have to work on my wife accepting the open rear.

reillyzing

« Reply #154 on: 13 Aug 2019, 08:28 pm »
I share a wall with a neighbor. Will these significantly reduce the amount of bass that travels over to their side, compared to box speakers?

yakbob

« Reply #155 on: 13 Aug 2019, 10:40 pm »
I share a wall with a neighbor. Will these significantly reduce the amount of bass that travels over to their side, compared to box speakers?

I wonder if something like the m4 paired with a subwoofer placed closer to your listening position would help with that?

HanaEyes

« Reply #156 on: 14 Aug 2019, 08:50 am »

It most likely will, as OB bass doesn't linger and pressurise the room like boxed bass. I am using the m4tm with a single rel t7 sub, in a dedicated room, and now I can still 'feel' the bass in other parts of the house when I leave the room while the music is still playing. Granted, it may be the lower freqs traveling further as with the help of a sub, but if I were to crank the m4tm up by themselves without a sub, when I leave the room there's hardly any music leak, despite the increased DBs.

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #157 on: 14 Aug 2019, 11:19 am »

I can tell you that my M3TM do not shake the walls even remotely close to the way my previous full range tower speakers did.  Really never notice wall shaking even after powerful orchestral bass wallups that really punch.  At first one misses the walls and the couch shaking.  However then you realize you are getting the same bass power without the smearing caused by shaking walls and furniture of a box speaker.  I still have 3 kids in the house and my wife so that really helps.

sumoking

« Reply #158 on: 21 Aug 2019, 03:59 am »
Received my Spatial Audio X-3 speakers.
Created an unboxing and set up video.
They sound great out of the box!

Hope you enjoy!

https://youtu.be/spiojZBk2kY

Review coming soon!

Shakeydeal

« Reply #159 on: 21 Aug 2019, 10:45 am »
Thanks for the video. Looking forward to the next one.

Shakey