BDP-3 and Network Share

BeeJay

BDP-3 and Network Share
« on: 10 Dec 2023, 06:30 pm »
Forgive me if this has previously been asked and answered but, am I able to create a share of my music between my PC and my BDP, i.e., non-NAS?
(I'm not yet able to search the Forum quite yet)
Alternatively, is there a way to update my attached USB drive with new music, without having to remove the drive and update on my PC then re-attach to the BDP-3.

Thanks,
Barry

Jozsef

Re: BDP-3 and Network Share
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2023, 05:57 am »
The ease of doing this would depend on the level of security your operating system has. Back in the days of Windows XP, I would see the other device in the file browser and clicking on it, would be asked for that system's password and I could then enter it and transfer or modify files. That was apparently not a sufficiently secure way of doing things and now it's a little more complicated. You should be able to get information on file transfers through a local network on your OS from the internet.

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2023, 01:58 am »
If you have turned it on, you should be able to access the hard drive connected to the back of the BDP-3 as a Samba network share, from your computer. It should be exported with read/write permission so you can copy files directly onto it from your computer. (See Adding Music to Library in the BDP-3 manual.) You have to manually trigger reindexing if you change files on the exported share from your computer.

On more recent versions of Windows, you must have a non-empty password for the network share, otherwise it won't work.

The BDP-3 can also mount a Samba share from your PC/Mac, going in the other direction.

BeeJay

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2023, 06:58 pm »
Thanks so much for the responses.  I was hoping for a more simple solution (as in Sonos or Bluesound shares of music files {sorry James and company}).  Sold my Node 2i to acquire my BDP-3, with no regrets.  Unfortunately, my music file collection is meagre, mostly old, poor quality CD's and I don't plan to buy any more or invest in HiRes downloads.  It's streaming for me and, since Bryston seems to have abandoned Tidal, I'll work through the 100 Million or so Qobuz offerings which should be more than sufficient for me in the time I have left.

Thanks again,
Barry

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2023, 11:28 pm »
I was hoping for a more simple solution (as in Sonos or Bluesound shares of music files {sorry James and company}).

When you wrote "create share of my music...non-NAS" I assumed that meant a network share without using an actual NAS. I believe Jozsef also interpreted your question that way. But now I think that isn't what you meant?

The Node can act as a BluOS sender to other BluOS receivers, and Sonos works a similar way. The BDP-* is more like a Sonos or BluOS receiver-only (network audio renderer) and not a sender/server/hub. I think what you're looking for isn't commonly referred to as creating a share, and also not really either as a music server (because that usually means a just making files available, and you still need something else to do a Sonos / BluOS-hub / AirPlay-like control user interface system).

Other than Sonos and BluOS, there is Denon HEOS, Auralic Lightning, and Roon. Maybe a few others. JRiver may also sort of do what I think you're looking for, but it's not really the same.

The differentiation is Sonos, BluOS, HEOS, and Roon are more like music (or media) *software* ecosystems, and have much less to do with a specific piece of hardware. You have to buy a bunch of hardware designed for that specific ecosystem, and the hardware all has to talk that same ecosystem's language. Most of the time that does mean buying hardware from the same brand as the software, but Roon is a software-only brand and BluOS is supported by multiple brands.

I think that is what you may have been asking for in your first post.

BeeJay

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2023, 09:58 pm »
When you wrote "create share of my music...non-NAS" I assumed that meant a network share without using an actual NAS. I believe Jozsef also interpreted your question that way. But now I think that isn't what you meant?

The Node can act as a BluOS sender to other BluOS receivers, and Sonos works a similar way. The BDP-* is more like a Sonos or BluOS receiver-only (network audio renderer) and not a sender/server/hub. I think what you're looking for isn't commonly referred to as creating a share, and also not really either as a music server (because that usually means a just making files available, and you still need something else to do a Sonos / BluOS-hub / AirPlay-like control user interface system).

Other than Sonos and BluOS, there is Denon HEOS, Auralic Lightning, and Roon. Maybe a few others. JRiver may also sort of do what I think you're looking for, but it's not really the same.

The differentiation is Sonos, BluOS, HEOS, and Roon are more like music (or media) *software* ecosystems, and have much less to do with a specific piece of hardware. You have to buy a bunch of hardware designed for that specific ecosystem, and the hardware all has to talk that same ecosystem's language. Most of the time that does mean buying hardware from the same brand as the software, but Roon is a software-only brand and BluOS is supported by multiple brands.

I think that is what you may have been asking for in your first post.

Thank you so much, Wesley (if I may be so bold), I really appreciate your interest in my post and great responses.
I would argue that both BluOS (via Node) and Sonos (via Port) provide a direct link to music streams and other sources directly into my BDP and other digital 'receivers' in exactly the same way as my BDP does, with visual differences based on the software used by each. I no longer have a Node 2i  but can confirm that it and the Sonos Port both found my Music file share from my PC immediately upon setup.  The Port is still streaming my PC files on demand.

While I can see signs of the BDP locating my shared PC Music files, I have been unsuccessful in linking these.

I have attached files from my Sonos vis screenshots FYI.

Thanks again,
Barry

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2023, 05:00 am »
I would argue that both BluOS (via Node) and Sonos (via Port) provide a direct link to music streams and other sources directly into my BDP and other digital 'receivers' in exactly the same way as my BDP does, with visual differences based on the software used by each. I no longer have a Node 2i  but can confirm that it and the Sonos Port both found my Music file share from my PC immediately upon setup.  The Port is still streaming my PC files on demand.

While I can see signs of the BDP locating my shared PC Music files, I have been unsuccessful in linking these.

Ah, okay. So I think I still misunderstood what you're looking for, but hopefully better understand now.

To start, you have your Windows computer's Music folder shared and advertised over your home network.

During setup of the Bluesound Node and the Sonos Port, it found your computer's Music folder and let you "select" it. After which point in time you could always just use the BluOS or Sonos software to play the music out of the Node or Port, respectively.

You are wondering how to get something similarly simple with the BDP-3 to first find, and then play music from, the same Windows shared Music folder? You'll need to go through a few manual steps to get it working the same way. Also, it will probably work better if you have explicitly shared your Music folder using Advanced Sharing, so it shows up as a separate Samba export from your Windows computer.

1. With the BDP-3 turned on, use a web browser to go to http://my.bryston.com/ and select the BDP-3 from the list. It should show up as long as your computer is on the same network as the BDP-3.

2. From the dashboard, select NAS Setup on the bottom.
  2a. Click Add Share
  2b. From the Devices popup menu, select your Windows computer. It should automatically choose Microsoft Windows Network and fill in the device name and IP address.
  2c. Type in the Windows account username/password and share name (e.g. "Music" if you used Advanced Sharing to add your Music folder as an explicit separate Windows Samba export named "Music").
  2d. Click on "Next".

3. The Music share should now show up under the NAS Setup, in the list.

4. Make sure the Playback Method is set to MPD.

5. Go to the Media Player.

6. Click on the Update link in the upper-left corner. Hopefully the Music folder will now show up all the way on the right, and you can select stuff to play.

Some more information can be found in the Manic Moose manual, under NAS Setup.

BeeJay

« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2023, 07:52 pm »
Thank you so much, Wes.  I was able to set up the share but I'm afraid it was somewhat unusable in that Album art was missing and the connection would be lost on log out of MM.  I feel I would be better off trying Jozsef's suggestion and try and link the attached WD Passport drive to my PC.  That will be a major undertaking on my part, I fear.
I really appreciate your interest and knowledge on my posts, both of you.
Cheers,
Barry

BeeJay

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2024, 04:11 am »
Again, thanks so much friends for your interest and insight.
I think I will leave my meagre CD collection on the USB attached media and move on.
I think, however, that BDP and MM might have a great resource in 'Save' when listening to streamed media and I'm experimenting with this.  I wonder, though, where the saved media is actually being stored. Some enlightenment would be most welcomed.
Cheers, and Happy New Year.
Barry