Suggestions for mountain biking camera

Carlman

Suggestions for mountain biking camera
« on: 21 Oct 2009, 05:16 pm »
I do a lot of off road mountain biking.  I carry a small pack and can generally stow a small camera.. Like a Canon SD point and shoot or whatnot.  What happens is the cameras get smeared with sweat.. and get condensation inside the lens from being in a damp/hot environment.  The image quality suffers due to those areas.. and because they're 'just ok' image quality out of the box.

I'd like the impossible, the quality of a digital SLR the size of a pocket camera that can take a little abuse and weather. 

So far the best I've seen is a Sigma DP2.  But they claim the focus is slow.. not good for mtb'ing.  Other camera types keep getting bigger to the point I might as well carry the SLR... which I just can't risk riding with, unless it's just to do a photo shoot... 

My budget is in the 200-1000 range.  The less the better.. but the ONLY thing I've found that's perfect on paper is the Olympus 'Tough'.  It shoots mediocre photos and costs about $400.  I don't mind paying but I want the image quality to be very good in that price range.  I also want it to be easy to use. 

I've looked around and now I'm thinking I should probably wait (yet another) year or so before looking for this camera.  It seems there are some minor break-throughs here and there with digital cameras but they seem like they've been in the same rut as cell phones for the past 5 years... cheezy shiny plastic boxes with crappy lenses taking mediocre images...

The Sigma DP2 is the first digital camera I've seen that produces film-like quality in a small size.  If anyone has used one and could catch high speed events with it, let me know!

-C

nathanm

Re: Suggestions for mountain biking camera
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2009, 07:22 pm »
Cameras which only take pictures of mountain bikes are pretty rare and pricey, but it's an emerging market so I'm sure prices will drop over time.  Until then you could possibly get an underwater housing\protective case thingy.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=5237&N=4294551231+4294951022+4294953116&Ns=p_PRICE_2%7C0

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: Suggestions for mountain biking camera
« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2009, 06:52 am »

A few years back my friend had found a video helmet-cam solution for dirt bike riding if you are interested in that