Need a surround solution for SongTowers...

bryede

Need a surround solution for SongTowers...
« on: 9 Feb 2010, 02:58 am »
I own a pair of SongTowers and a SongCenter, but my room won't easily accommodate the fairly deep, rear-ported SongSurrounds. I would need either a smaller footprint, a front-ported speaker or sealed surround to make best use of my placement options.

Any ideas?

floresjc

Re: Need a surround solution for SongTowers...
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2010, 03:06 am »
Would the new Song Birds work for you? They seem pretty small footprint. I guess it would be hard to know unless we knew how much space you have to work with. I've had my rear Song Towers up darn near against the wall, and for rear duty it doesn't seem to matter much. The base gives a few inches of standoff at least.

bryede

« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2010, 03:16 am »
Well, I'm kinda forced to put the surrounds atop existing furniture on one side, and I'll have to put a shelf in a similar position on the other side. That's my main problem with rear ports. Tower speakers back behind the couch may run into WAF problems. :)

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2010, 03:47 am »
I believe Jim has either created top or front ported SongSurrounds before; saw a pic of a pair somewhere on this forum.  I'd go with those. 

bryede

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2010, 02:04 pm »
What would be really cool would be to hang them from the ceiling behind the couch, but it would be a tough sell and it might involve drilling holes in a Salk finish  :o :o :o :o :o :cry: :cry:

vintagebob

bryede

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2010, 06:52 pm »
I think I have come up with a solution that will allow me to use unmodified SongSurrounds (MT version).

On a side note, is anyone else troubled by the name "SongSurround"? If these speakers are essentially CAOW1's (or SongTowers without the TL) then it seems a shame to pitch them primarily as rear speakers for a home-theater set-up.

I would imagine at $900 they'd fare pretty well in any mini-monitor lineup.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2010, 02:55 am by bryede »