tonearm setup tricks?

beat

tonearm setup tricks?
« on: 21 Apr 2004, 07:15 pm »
Hey all,
I got the thorens and was going to try and set it up this weekend with the stax tonearm. The guy I got it from said it would take all weekend...Is this true? I haven't done this procedure before so I just wanted to be equipped in case I run into trouble. I have a predrilled armboard (and a lame instruction book) so is it really supposed to be such a big deal? I am sure adjustments will take time but is that the biggest time consuming part? Does anyone have generic tips for me?
thanks, beat

Tonto Yoder

tonearm setup tricks?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2004, 09:31 pm »
There are several articles dealing with set-up on the Audio Asylum FAQ page.  Do you already have some sort of alignment protractor???
It shouldn't tske all weekend !!!

beat

tonearm setup tricks?
« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2004, 12:56 am »
yeah,
thanks tonto, I didn't think it should be a 10 hour affair. Since the arm is new in original packing and so forth I have the prescribed material for setup. I just thought maybe there was some other thing that maybe missing or whatnot. I'll look over at aa for some material on setup basics.

Thanks again

Tonto Yoder

tonearm setup tricks?
« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2004, 01:36 am »
I also like most of the info on Lloyd Walker's site--
http://www.walkeraudio.com/fine_tuning_your_turntable.htm

It's accurately described as "fine tuning,"  assuming you've already got the cartridge and arm correctly installed .  A few of the suggestions are a bit finicky (like adjusting VTA for thick and thin LP's):  I'm unsure if normal vinylphiles are quite that picky!!!

One key trick to setting up a TT:

DO NOT DRINK ESPRESSO BEFORE OR DURING SET-UP.
especially Java Mocha-nut double Kona!!