Just given a Technics 1200 MkII TT

BikeWNC

« on: 22 Mar 2004, 02:00 am »
My friend just gave me this TT tonight.  It's in decent shape, but needs a little cleanup.  What should I know about this model and are there any good, easy and cheap improvements that can be made to it?  Probably needs a new cartridge, it has an old Stanton on it now.  Which one works best?  Thanks.

Andy

TheChairGuy

« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2004, 04:14 am »
Oh Andy/Tsunami, it shouldn't be long now before PsychicAnimal provides the guidance you need on the 1200....

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2004, 04:19 am »
:lol: I wondered who was gonna say it first!

BikeWNC

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2004, 04:34 am »
I guess I could have just sent him a PM and saved everybody the trouble.  :lol:   But since I have zero invested in this table I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks to hear what it could do.  This evening I replaced the old Stanton 680 with a Grado Gold and it made a big improvement.  It has a much more solid low end than my Marantz 6300.

Andy

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2004, 09:31 am »
Andy, Here's some info for you. I'm sure PA can fill you in on all the details and mods. Good Luck!  :) http://www.kabusa.com/index_tt.htm

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2004, 02:45 pm »
Andy,

I'll fill in until the cavalry arrives, but I  know P-animal will send you to http://www.KABusa.com to get all the info you need in getting the 1200 sounding like an uber-table.

If I wasn't so pleased with my digital playback now, I'd probably go the route you are going and upgrade my Thorens with a 1200-based front end and all the goodies.

I can vouch for the effectiveness of damping troughs in general.  Some 17 years ago I was a Rep for a firm that were the first representatives in the US for Max Townsend's original Rock turntable. It was fantastic, but really sang with the damping trough in action damping the Helius Silver arm and Modded Grado cartridge.  It was the best CD playback I ever had in my home, but alas I was all of 24 when I left the firm and I didn't have the $800 or so to buy the demo model.  Dumbass me spent too much on beer and a new car back then  :o  

I could do upgrade now, however,  if your friend has any other 1200's he'd like to dish off........ :D

BikeWNC

« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2004, 03:21 pm »
I was up pretty late last night after a very long weekend (at my whitewater paddling club's slalom races) trying to setup the 1200 with the Grado.  I suppose 1:30 am is NOT the best time to be messing with that.  I finished the job this morning and I am pleased with the results.  I went to the KABusa website and looked over the upgrades.  Not too bad a deal when the TT is free.   8)   Though I'm afraid my friend may want the TT back when he hears it.  

Andy

Juan R

« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2004, 03:29 pm »
Check with turntablefactory.com, they have all the info about this model, and also they do repair them. I have a 1301 that I going to send for repair and upgrade.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2004, 02:42 am »
Quote from: Tsunami
My friend just gave me this TT tonight.  It's in decent shape, but needs a little cleanup.  What should I know about this model and are there any good, easy and cheap improvements that can be made to it?  Probably needs a new cartridge, it has an old Stanton on it now.  Which one works best?  Thanks.

First, clean all the contacts and buy the original oil.  The instructions say that oiling is every 2000 hrs but that is bullshit.  There is oil a the bottom of the bearing, but the unit sounds significantly better when it's filled to the top at all times.

Second, replacing the stock feet for the Sorbothane hemispheres works well on reducing lateral vibrations, a 1200's weakness.  I have my deck under Goldmund cones, then a Moca wood board supported by the Sorbothane.  Works even better that way.

Third, I would replace the stock power cords by one of VenHaus shielded, cryo'ed power cable and cryo'ed plug .  Cheap tweak and will definitely improve the sound.  If plugged to a power filter/cryo'ed outlet even better.  The speed sensing/correction mechanism does not like to navigate through noise--who does? :?  

The Stanton could be a winner--they need 75KOhm loading, though.  What model is it?

Quote from: TheChairGuy
I'll fill in until the cavalry arrives, but I know P-animal will send you to www.KABusa.com to get all the info you need in getting the 1200 sounding like an uber-table.

You guys are doing just fine... 8)

I have found other tweaks besides the basic KAB mods but that comes in due time.  The important part is to hear how stunning improvements in instantaneous power delivery are.  The speed sensing/correction mechanism responds in a very positive way.  Transients become faster and decays more linear.  Soundstage and musical information expand in a very natural way: from within the space between the speakers and towards the rear wall.

That's what fuels the desire to go on and on and on. :bounce:

Quote from: TheChairGuy
  I can vouch for the effectiveness of damping troughs in general. Some 17 years ago I was a Rep for a firm that were the first representatives in the US for Max Townsend's original Rock turntable. It was fantastic, but really sang with the damping trough in action damping the Helius Silver arm and Modded Grado cartridge.

Here's an excellent review by Zaikesman on the KAB fluid damper. Zaikesman uses his modded 1200 w/ a Benz Glider, a Camelot battery phono stage and a Mark Levinson linestage.  Alex Yakovlev uses his modded 1200 alongside a modded CEC transport/ DTS digital rig!  If the mods are done right and the TT's inherent weaknesses addressed properly the result is an outstanding high end deck that will last for decades.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?raccs&1033259530&read&3&4&

BikeWNC

« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2004, 11:39 pm »
First, clean all the contacts and buy the original oil. The instructions say that oiling is every 2000 hrs but that is bullshit. There is oil a the bottom of the bearing, but the unit sounds significantly better when it's filled to the top at all times.

Second, replacing the stock feet for the Sorbothane hemispheres works well on reducing lateral vibrations, a 1200's weakness. I have my deck under Goldmund cones, then a Moca wood board supported by the Sorbothane. Works even better that way.

Third, I would replace the stock power cords by one of VenHaus shielded, cryo'ed power cable and cryo'ed plug . Cheap tweak and will definitely improve the sound. If plugged to a power filter/cryo'ed outlet even better. The speed sensing/correction mechanism does not like to navigate through noise--who does?  

The Stanton could be a winner--they need 75KOhm loading, though. What model is it?

I tried to call KAB but could not get through.  Kind of like AC today.  Anyway, I will get the oil, manual and arm dampener.  Is your power supply upgrade external or did you send the TT in to be modified internally?  What are the advantages of the internal PS upgrade?  As for the PC, I haven't turned the TT over but I thought it had a captured cord.  Did you replace the captured cord with another of better quality?  Lastly, Did you have your TT tonearn rewired and RCAs installed to replace the stock phono outs?  Who did that work?  PM me if you would rather.  Thanks.

Oh, the Stanton cartridge I have is a 681EEE, but it needs a new stylus.  The Stanton that came with the TT is a 680? as it has a D6800EL stylus which is also in need of replacement.  It is a DJ cartidge as you probably know, but this table came from the original owner and he never used it that way.  

Andy

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 23 Mar 2004, 11:50 pm »
In all seriousness, this is the one time you might actually want to listen to PA.  I am sure it is a good route to go, especially if you got the table for free.  Why not?!

BikeWNC

« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2004, 12:20 am »
That's what I was thinking Josh.  The 1200 is already way better than my Marantz 6300 and it is so easy to setup and fiddle with.  With a little money put into it it might be all I need.

Andy

Psychicanimal

« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2004, 09:45 pm »
I tried to call KAB but could not get through. Kind of like AC today. Anyway, I will get the oil, manual and arm dampener. Is your power supply upgrade external or did you send the TT in to be modified internally? What are the advantages of the internal PS upgrade? As for the PC, I haven't turned the TT over but I thought it had a captured cord. Did you replace the captured cord with another of better quality? Lastly, Did you have your TT tonearn rewired and RCAs installed to replace the stock phono outs? Who did that work? PM me if you would rather. Thanks.

I have the KAB external power supply.  Back in October I drove to NJ to visit my little sister and I took the TT along, since she lives 45 mins away from Kevin.  BTW, he's got an awesome DIY horn based system with a 7 foot wide bass horn--hi sofa has seat belts! :lol:

If you can solder the easiest step is to change the RCA jacks.  If you have finesse you can change the whole phono cable.  It's tricky and it's better to talk to Kevin about the ins and outs.  I wrapped the IC with a tie wrap around the circuit board.

Oh, the Stanton cartridge I have is a 681EEE, but it needs a new stylus. The Stanton that came with the TT is a 680? as it has a D6800EL stylus which is also in need of replacement. It is a DJ cartidge as you probably know, but this table came from the original owner and he never used it that way.

Those Stanton cartidges tend to be real good trackers, with tight, solid bass and a very musical, coherent midrange.  They're not bright, so the impedance loading needs to be right on.  Robert Schult of Ridge Street Audio changed the resistors in my Monolithic Sound PS-1 and installed some killer NOS Holco's.  Kevin is an authorized Stanton dealer and will be able to help you choose an adequate replacement stylus.  Stylus shape makes a big difference as my modded Groovemaster is a DJ cartridge in which Kevin grafted a NOS Stereohedron stylus.  The performance is such that I'm getting the midrange of a $1,500 moving coil.

Andy, you haven't reallized it yet, but you are on your way to multi thousand dollar performance... :mrgreen:

BikeWNC

« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 2004, 10:11 pm »
Andy, you haven't reallized it yet, but you are on your way to multi thousand dollar performance...

Well, I'll reserve judgement till I have the upgrades in place.

I talked to Kevin today and he gave me the answers I wanted to hear.  The PS upgrade seems like an easy DIY job.  The tonearm dampener is also easy as are the footers.  I will talk to him again about the stylus vs. new cartridge after I complete these mods.  I haven't changed a RCA plug before but I am sure that somebody in the DIY forum will help.  Kevin mentioned several problems with replacing the cables to keep in mind should I want to do that but I think that will be down the road.  

Andy

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #14 on: 25 Mar 2004, 01:28 am »
Well, I'll reserve judgement till I have the upgrades in place.

What a reasonable thing to say!!! It's refreshing!! Enjoy your table and have fun tinkering around and squeezing out the best sonics.

michael w

« Reply #15 on: 25 Mar 2004, 12:29 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
In all seriousness, this is the one time you might actually want to listen to PA.  I am sure it is a good route to go, especially if you got the table for free.  Why not?!

Except for the bit about his deck being under Goldmund cones.

They usually work better when the deck is on top.

:lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #16 on: 3 Apr 2004, 06:29 am »
Andy , Anything new with your 1200 TT ? Have you done any upgrades ? :)

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #17 on: 3 Apr 2004, 12:17 pm »
I "spoke" with Andy via a mind-meld technique I learned in another life:
he's first upgrading his power supply --
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3807648228&category=42908

Of course, I'm still "talking" to him about tweaking with deer urine! :D

BikeWNC

« Reply #18 on: 3 Apr 2004, 01:57 pm »
Will cat piss do?  I can get lots of that!

I added the external ps and the tonearm dampener.  These two additions really improved the focus of the TT.  Images in the soundstage stepped out of the previous blurry background into their own space.  Especially notable are how background vocals are now each represented in space.  A very nice improvement!  Treble is much sharper not tizzy like before the mods.  

I've been wrestling with the setup of the Grado Gold cartridge in the past day.  It seems that I can't find a way to eliminate all the sibilance.  Changing to a different cartridge may be the olnly way.  I'll give it a few more chances before I look for something else.  

Overall, I think that the external ps and the tonearm dampener are very worthwhile and cost effective upgrades to the 1200.  Does it make it world class?  I haven't heard any top tier TTs lately but my guess is that these mods help the 1200 compete above its price level.  (which was free to me 8) )

Andy