Project TT help

sleepkyng

Project TT help
« on: 8 Mar 2004, 08:19 am »
i recently got a project 6.1 TT, and it is clear that i dont know what i'm doing.

the copper connector on one of the headshell leads (the white one) is missing and i can't find a replacement for just that copper part.

but now i'm thinking that this TT is going to be a lot more work than i want.

what i want is something that sounds great, and can be set up or taken down with ease, (i live in a dorm at college) and will be really hassle free.

maybe like an old thorens? i dunno, any suggestions would be great

here's my current rig
project 6.1-> mcm phono stage-> antique sound lab wave line preamp-> antique sound lab wave 8's->wharfedale diamond 7.2s

thanks in advanced!

Tonto Yoder

Project TT help
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2004, 12:14 pm »
Jerry Raskin has cartridge clips---
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACCT106601/sc.2/category.431/it.A/id.721/.f

They're $6/ four but you'll have to pay shipping.

I can't tell from the pic if you solder the clips on or just crimp them with some needlenose pliers????  Regarding your problem, many TT's could have similar problems with the cartridge clips--might be easier if there was a detachable headshell since you can see what you're doing easier (by taking headshell off and flipping it over) and could just go ahead and change the whole white cartridge lead?? The Thorens I had DID have a detachable headshell.
Hope this helps.

Agrippa

Project TT help
« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2004, 03:06 pm »
Crimping will do, just make sure your hands are steady!  On my old 6.9 I had one bare lead connected to the pin on the cartridge for a while, which worked just fine.  

The 6.1 sounds great, although the 6.9 was much improved, but for true freedom from hassle you want a massive deck, with no suspension.  A suspended deck will always have to be adjusted after being moved and also checked now and again when stationary (if you care about getting the best from it).  Sadly, in general good non-suspended decks also cost more...  Give me a price range and I'll give you suggestions if you're interested.

If a non-suspended deck is out of the question, the 6.1 is as hassle-free as they come.

Agrippa

sleepkyng

Project TT help
« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2004, 05:41 pm »
well, if i sold the Project, i'd use that money to get a new TT, probably wouldn't want to spend anymore money

say, do you know a good online guide to general TT setup?

thanks!

Agrippa

Project TT help
« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2004, 06:20 pm »

sleepkyng

Project TT help
« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2004, 07:49 pm »
wow thanks!

so, i guess if the project doesn't work out, do you know what would be good in the $300 range?

i think i'll stick with this, but maybe i should get something smaller, and more practical for my dorm room? :)

Agrippa

Project TT help
« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2004, 10:17 pm »
Hmmmm, don't really see what's so inconvenient about the 6.1?  Screw down the suspension, make sure the arm is secure and you can move it all you want.  When you get to where you're going, just loosen the suspension screws again, make sure the deck is level, un-fasten the arm and off you go.  Nothing in the TT world gets much less complicated than that.

For $300 you won't get anything as good as the 6.1 new and s/h prices I can't really help you with, seeing as I live in Norway....   :mrgreen:   However, you can pick up the Music Hall MMF-2.1 for $280 or the Project 1.2 for $319, both with arm and cartridge and both here: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACCT106601/sc.2/category.46/.f  Not sure who sells Rega over there, but the P2/P3 must surely be in the same price range.  Either of these four will be marginally less bothersome than the 6.1, but neither is quite as good (although we're not talking a huge difference).  No particular difference in performance between them, so just get the cheaper one.

Hope this is of some use...

Agrippa

sleepkyng

Project TT help
« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2004, 05:09 pm »
so the Project is king of this price range (or is it worth more than 300 street price?)

anyways, i'm gonna stick with it! might as well yah??

thanks!

say, do you know where i can get a good protractor or a free one :P

Agrippa

Project TT help
« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2004, 08:54 pm »
Well, it's not available new anymore, so I couldn't say anything about the street price.  Would have thought it was more a $500+ TT in it's day though.

Here's a few free protractors for you.  Wouldn't bother buying one if I were you - I've got a $4000 set-up and have never seen the need for anything but these.  As long as you have access to a half-decent printer, that is.

http://www.nakedresource.com/library_tonearms.shtml

Enjoy your 6.1 mate; properly cared for (which means very little care indeed) it'll serve you well for many years or until you catch a virulent form of upgraditis...   :wink:

Agrippa

hifitommy

get the clips and solder
« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2004, 09:25 pm »