New turntable decision - any opinions?

JoshK

« Reply #40 on: 25 Feb 2004, 03:10 am »
Quote from: Psychicanimal
You still have NO idea what I'm talking about.

Do you?  :roll:

mcrespo71

« Reply #41 on: 25 Feb 2004, 04:03 am »
Doug's Oracle is not the Oracle *you* measured. His is about as good as it's going to get on a belt drive w/o external flywheel in the under $5K category: Origin Live DC kit, big Hewlett Packard lab grade external power supply (load sensing). It's no coincidence the 1200's platter and the Oracle's have a very similar shape (can someone answer this question? Nathan, perhaps?). And, BTW, I have heard Doug's Oracle.

Yeah, I understand, Doug seems to have a fully tricked out Oracle and I'm sure it sounds great.  However, I heard the newest MK V one which was over 3K new if I'm not mistaken- why should it's speed fluctuate- even with the turbo power supply?  

I don't think I even want to "know" what you are talking about, as your tone is pedantic, aloof, and you have little interest in sharing, but are quick to bludgeon your intractable opinions (er, I mean laws) onto others.  I really don't doubt that your technics is a fine sounding piece, but that's besides the point at this juncture.

Michael

nathanm

They're both ROUND?
« Reply #42 on: 25 Feb 2004, 05:42 am »
Quote from: Psychicanimal
It's no coincidence the 1200's platter and the Oracle's have a very similar shape (can someone answer this question? Nathan, perhaps?)

Who me?  Oh I'm sorry, you must have me confused with someone who gives a shit.

cmscott6

« Reply #43 on: 14 Mar 2004, 12:20 am »
Uh, actually, Nathan you're right about not listening to others.  I should have learned that the first time I took a home-brew amp to an audiophile gathering.  The day after I posted this I took the plunge and bought the MMF-5.  I'm thrilled (except for the absolutely crappy manual that came with it).  

I hadn't realized that this thread was continuing...  I've been listening to a lot of music, most of which I bought for $.50.  I'm sure in the future I'll worry about the minutiae and begin to dissect the sound of the MMF-5 (and buy a Teres - best I've ever heard).  But now I'm trying to catch up with the pile of vinyl on the floor.  This tricked-out Hagerman Cornet pre-amp sounds great too!  

So, who's built a home-brew vacuum record cleaner?  :wink:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #44 on: 14 Mar 2004, 01:50 am »
Quote from: cmscott6
Uh, actually, Nathan you're right about not listening to others. I should have learned that the first time I took a home-brew amp to an audiophile gathering. The day after I posted this I took the plunge and bought the MMF-5. I'm thrilled (except for the absolutely crappy manual that came with it).

I hadn't realized that this thread was continuing... I've been listening to a lot of music, most of which I bought for $.50. I'm sure in the future I'll worry about the minutiae and begin to dissect the sound of the MMF-5 (and buy a Teres - best I've ever heard). But now I'm trying to catch up with the pile of vinyl on the floor. This tricked-out Hagerman Cornet pre-amp sounds great too!

So, who's built a home-brew vacuum record cleaner?

i'm sure most anyone used to cd sound would be thrilled upon hearing a winyl set-up lile yours!   :wink:   but, ya *will* be amazed, not by minutiae, but by quantum leaps in sonic improvements, when ya upgrade.

re: the home-brew record vac, i haven't tried this, as i have always been satisfied yust hand-washing my records w/mild dish-soap & warm water, & drying w/a soft lint-free cloth, but a few folk have said ya can get good results by using a vpi replacement wand hooked up to a wet-vac wacuum cleaner...

doug s.