Isolation Solution for Nottingham Interspace

DARTH AUDIO

« on: 30 Dec 2003, 08:22 pm »
Looking for suggestions/advise on Isolation for a Nottingham Interspace Turntable  :roll:  I'm looking for solutions other that points and a slab of Maple. FYI.. The Nottingham has to be started by spinning the platter. So NO tennis balls :lol: Has anyone used HAL's Big Tenderfeet?

Thanks for the help & Happy New Year :beer:

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2003, 08:42 pm »
I have the tenderfeet under a MMF-5. The MMF-5 is a far cry from your Nottingham but they seem to work quite well. At the Midwest Audio Fest last May there were problems getting the Teres to sound good in the Bolder Cables/Teres Audio room and we put a set of Tenderfeet under the Teres base. It made a very significant improvement. Chris Brady of Teres said he had never had good luck with any squishy isolation feet previously but in this case they did the trick.

I don't know if HAL has a trial policy but I definitely like mine. :)

mike g

nature boy

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2003, 09:47 pm »
Darth,

Isolating your TT from other equipment is a good rule of thumb. Many vinyl enthusiasts use a wall mounted shelf if they have bouncy hardwood floors that result in stylus mistracking.

Me, I have a dedicated listening room in a basement with wall to walll carpet and a concrete subfloor.  I have my Interspace on a $9.95 IKEA Lack end table per a cheap tweak suggestion from Ken Lyon, of Greater Ranges, who manufactures the Neuance anti-resonance shelf.  Drilled small holes in the bottoms of each leg, inserted some screw in spikes with some epoxy, leveled carefully and instant turntable stand.  It does a very good job of isolating the turntable from vibration and air moved around the room by my speakers.

I am planning to pick up a Neuance "Bad Boy" shelf after I chip away at some of my holiday bills.

NB

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2003, 06:06 pm »
I, myself, am trying the maple approach, but I had thought of trying the Chris Brady approach of DIY sandboxes.  Give that any thought? Seems like a good idea.  Check out his website, not the teres one, but his, I think it is something like www.tubeheaven.com/diy where he shows how he built his stands.  Look like a good approach.  I may try that still.

mcrespo71

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2004, 01:56 am »
I've heard that Neuance shelves are supposed to be head and shoulders above the other methods- cones, sandboxes, vibrapods, and maple for many of the top turntables.  I'm actually picking one up and may be relegating my sandbox to the amps.  We'll see.

Michael

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2004, 02:18 am »
Quote from: JoshK
.... the Chris Brady approach of DIY sandboxes.  Give that any thought? Seems like a good idea.  Check out his website, not the teres one, but his, I think it is something like www.tubeheaven.com/diy where he shows how he built his stands.  Look like a good approach.  I may try that still.

http://teresaudio.com/haven/
seems to be the link.  The Torlyte stuff of Russ Andrews is another of the lightweight, but rigid school of thought (Ken Lyons/Ikea):
http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1®ion=UK¤cy=GBP&pf_id=4060&customer_id=PAA0994026904829CUXWOKKZUJUEMDEJ
Russ has several downloads available that are interesting.

orthobiz

Best site I've seen!
« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2004, 03:48 am »
I don't know who that Chris is, but he is absolutely, totally into audio! What a great site... thanks!

biz

Agrippa

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2004, 03:25 pm »
Suggesting any solution without knowing anything about the environment is really quite pointless Darth.  Wood or concrete floor?  Wood or concrete walls?  Middle of the city or out in the country?  Ground floor or 30th floor penthouse?  No solution works for all environments and all decks, so pile on the info if you're still after advice.

In general though, suspended decks benefit from lighter, stiff, suspended/decoupled bases, while massive decks (like the Interspace) benefit most from massive bases or wall mounting (depending on wall and floor construction).

Agrippa