Conversation Starter: Do you live with deficiencies?

Daryl Zero

Re: Conversation Starter: Do you live with deficiencies?
« Reply #20 on: 15 Apr 2024, 12:28 am »
I have a slightly different take on this. I was trying to sell an item without much luck but got a trade for a DAC which was much higher priced than the one I have. It then spurred me to try to buy a decent streamer whereas previously I was using my PC as the streamer through a DAC which sounded pretty good to me.

I found first that having many components that you have to turn on or go to an app for diminished my desire to listen to and my enjoyment of music. It started to feel like a chore. I then continued to play with the streamer and DAC which others rave about and AB tested it with my original set up and I could barely hear any noticeable difference. I tried this several times thinking I had to be missing something.

So whether my system is not resolving enough to hear the differences (which I don't think is the case having gone to PAF and hearing different systems there) or my hearing isn't capable of picking up the differences, I realized that I was happy with what I had and sold off the two units. I took a hit on recouping price but learned (hopefully a lesson) about staying put, warts and all.

Zuman

Re: Conversation Starter: Do you live with deficiencies?
« Reply #21 on: 15 Apr 2024, 03:32 am »
I wrote some comments in another Circle recently about my experience with the incredible Schiit Loki Max equalizer. I find that it makes a great difference in compensating for not only my room's deficiencies, but also the frequency losses my 72-year old ears have given up. Because I often listen with others, I also have settings that are compromises between my hearing and that of others, and I can also bypass the EQ entirely without any sacrifice of quality. It was an excellent investment of $1500.