SP 1.7 for 2 channel only?

JLivermore

« on: 2 Dec 2003, 05:06 am »
Hello Bryston Circle,

I'm considering a surround processor to decode digital audio from my cable and also from my DVD player and potentially more surround sources.  I have a 2 channel system put together and given my room size and lack of space (Manhattan shoebox) I'm in the process of selling my surround reciever and speakers.  That leaves me w/o the ability to decode my HT digital signals.

I'm curious as to how the SP 1.7 works for decoding and downmixing surround signals -> 2 channel stereo?  Can anyone share their experiences using the SP 1.7 for downmixing into 2 channel?  What kind of 'control parameters' do you loose by downmixing?

One thing I just love about the SP 1.7 is no video switching.  I think that was a good move to keep that a separate entity.

thanks,
JL

jethro

« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2003, 01:16 pm »
jl,

I'm not sure what would happen when switching to stereo mode with a 5.1 source from a DVD (I'll try it this weekend or sooner), however, I think there are some DVD players that will attempt to simulate the effect of the center channel using just two front speakers. I think my Toshiba DVD does this (i'll try this as well). If this is correct, you might be better off with a BP-25DA ? I'll let you know about the DVD player and 5.1 to stereo.

JLivermore

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2003, 01:36 pm »
Jethro,

yes, my DVD player downmixes as well, that is how i have it configured.  what i would like to use the 1.7 for is donmixing cable programs broadcasted in surround like some HD channels Time Warner has - Discovery HD is amazing. :)

thanks,
jl

jethro

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2003, 04:36 pm »
jl,

I tried plain stereo mode on my SP-1.7 while watching a movie on digital cable (2.0 format) last night. I couldn't stand it for very long. You don't lose dialog, but it's not the same as having a center channel. Personally I would keep the center and fronts, and just lose the rears if you need to save on space. The TV's speakers produces a better sound than the SP-1.7's stereo mode when watching a movie.

JLivermore

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2003, 04:55 pm »
jethro,

yes, i've done that for the past 6 months.  i've had a Sony 7.1 reciever driving a set of Totem Dreamcatchers (front L/C/R/sub).  and to be honest, it doesn't sound nearly as good as my plain 2 channel system.  i have a pretty nice 2 channel system that is tube based (power amp/pre amp) so imaging is very good.  over the past 3 weeks, i've completely removed my surround gear from my system, and now i'm piping my DVD player and my cable box through my preamp.  i get far more 3d sound from my 2 channel than my 3.1 channel setup.  difficult to believe i'm sure, but my girlfried agrees.

i'm quite amazed as to the sound engineering that goes into current TV productions, i was watching a Discovery program the other night, it was produced in 2003, and the sound was very good.  little neaunces (sound affects) voices, background sounds, all had their place in 3d space.  the only thing i seem to be missing is sound from the rear.  based on my previous 5.1 systems i've had in the past, only spacial cues seem to come out of the rear (but this was 4 years ago - perhaps modern DVD soundtracks take more advantage of the rears).

i would still like to pursue a good surround sound processor.  my dream would be to have a surround sound processor with a tube stage output. :)