DAC 60 with Sonic Craft mods

arthurs

« Reply #20 on: 18 Mar 2006, 06:24 am »
LOVE the DAC60 with the mods....I think you nailed it chad, my transport is a CEC TL51X, reported to be almost jitter free, and I guess this experiment would reinforce that...

studley

« Reply #21 on: 18 Mar 2006, 10:57 am »
Quote from: Charles Calkins
Loftprojection:
 I compared the SB3 to my APLhifi sacd 1000 fully modded with Crystal DAC's and built in volume control. Top of the line back then. This was done by Alex(Genius)Pecheyev in mid 2004. When I compared them I couldn't tell hardly any difference in playback. If anything I thought the SB3 had a teeny bit better high end. I can't hook the DAC up to the SACD 1000 because Alex says it won't work as a transport. Something about DSD and ABC's and XYZ's. A lot of mumbo jumbo tech stuff I don't underst ...

Charles
Is your SB3 stock or modded?

I can't decide whether to go the SB3 + DAC 60 route or wait for the USB input version of the DAC 60, for which there is no ETA (any news Danny?).

nickspicks

« Reply #22 on: 18 Mar 2006, 12:23 pm »
I to just got a DAC60 from DIYbiz and am amazed how good it sounds right out of the box w/o any break in time.  even still, it SMOKED the stock analog output of my Toshiba SD9200.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #23 on: 18 Mar 2006, 03:06 pm »
studley:

My SB3 is stock. I'm using a wireless router system and it works great.

Cheers
                        Charlie

Charles Calkins

« Reply #24 on: 18 Mar 2006, 04:31 pm »
chadh:

Is there some easy way to test a systen for too much jitter?

Cheers
                 Charlie

chadh

« Reply #25 on: 19 Mar 2006, 04:27 am »
Is there some way to test a system for too much jitter?  Hmmm...I guess you could get your hands on a DIP and see if it made an improvement in your system.  If not, then I guess your system doesn't have much jitter!

Sorry - I'm just not very savvy on these issues.  However, if I were you, using the digital out from an SB3, I wouldn't bother with a DIP (or any other anti-jitter device).  As there is no mechanical movement in the SB3, it seems like the single largest source of jitter from your transport is already eliminated.  Furthermore, if you do a little googling, I bet you can find analysis of the SB2/3 and the amount of jitter it produces.  I'm pretty sure I've read references to this, and the jitter level is pretty small.

[Just for completeness - antijitter devices don't necessarily lower jitter anyway.   Due to their electronic nature, they can actually be a source of jitter.  If I recall correctly, the DIP measured pretty well on the additional jitter dimension (relative to severeal other affordable anti-jitter devices).  But if jitter is almost non-existant from your transport, something like a DIP still seems more likley to be detrimental than beneficial.]

I have a DIP 24/96 that needs to go back to Monarchy for repairs.  Once it's fixed, I could always send it your way for a quick test.  It's destined for audiogon once it's operational anyway.  Let me know if you're interested.

Chad

nickspicks

« Reply #26 on: 19 Mar 2006, 12:38 pm »
as cool as the DIP boxes are, if you REALLY want to see if you have jitter problems, get your hands on an Apogee BIG BEN.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #27 on: 19 Mar 2006, 01:36 pm »
Geeeezzzeeee!!!!!
 I heard about this site through a good buddy of mine a couple of years ago. I had no idea there was so much audio gear out there. Monarchy DIP,Apogee Big Ben. Didn't know they exsisted. Computer audio! What a shock!!! If this keeps up with all the trick gadgets out there a live concert might be heard in our home audio system.

Cheers
                            Charlie

nickspicks

« Reply #28 on: 19 Mar 2006, 01:59 pm »
I do that every day.

for example, if you dont mind wasting a CD and know how to handle a .FLAC file download and burn this track.
I recorded it last month.  on my system, the room is re-created just about perfectly.
got BASS ?
hope so!
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=26679.msg236992#236992

spacedghost

« Reply #29 on: 21 Mar 2006, 06:36 pm »
Boy this thread sure has been quite.... :o  

Everyone must be spending more time listening..... :D

Shaun

Charles Calkins

« Reply #30 on: 21 Mar 2006, 06:45 pm »
Shaun:
  Yes I do spend a lot of time listening to My SB3 set up. When are you getting yours?

Cheers
                                Charlie

spacedghost

« Reply #31 on: 21 Mar 2006, 06:51 pm »
Sooooon.......  

Out for Mods as we speak....:)

Shaun

Charles Calkins

« Reply #32 on: 21 Mar 2006, 06:58 pm »
After having my DAC-60 with Sonic Craft mods for a week now I seriously doubt if I'll have the SB3 modded. It just can't get better than now. Of course I have been known to be wrong.

Cheers
                                Charlie

spacedghost

« Reply #33 on: 21 Mar 2006, 06:59 pm »
Funny I said the same thing after having my current setup for a week or two....  Now 4 months later here I am..

Shaun

Charles Calkins

« Reply #34 on: 21 Mar 2006, 07:05 pm »
You've got a DAC-60 with Sonic Craft mods?
 Now you're getting the SB3 modded?
 If you are I can hardly wait to hear the results!!

Cheers
               Charlie

spacedghost

« Reply #35 on: 21 Mar 2006, 07:09 pm »
Quote from: Charles Calkins
You've got a DAC-60 with Sonic Craft mods?
 Now you're getting the SB3 modded?
 If you are I can hardly wait to hear the results!!

Cheers
               Charlie

No sorry there must be a bit of confusion...  I am getting the DAC60 Mod, I do not have an SB3.  I am using an Onix CD player that will become my transport.

Shaun

Charles Calkins

« Reply #36 on: 21 Mar 2006, 07:12 pm »
Darn!!! I thought you would have the ultimate SB3 system.

Cheers
                                   Charlie

spacedghost

« Reply #37 on: 21 Mar 2006, 07:24 pm »
Hmmm maybe....  

If I pack enough CD's in the living room, the wife might start screaming.  Then I come in with the perfect solution to clean the area up and consoliate..hmmmmm

You might be onto something..

Shaun

Wayne1

« Reply #38 on: 21 Mar 2006, 07:35 pm »
I recently heard from a gentleman who lives just west of Denver in the foothills. He should be getting a Sonicraft modded DAC 60 in a week or two. He has said he is willing to come down to the flatlands with his DAC to take a listen to the SB.

If the timing works out, we may be able to compare stock SB3 to modded SB2 digital out to DAC60. We can also compare various power supplies and how the DAC60 and SB compares to a highly modded SB2 analog output.

If there is anyone interested in listening to this comparison, drop me a line and I will let you know where and when this will happen, as soon as I know.

mgalusha

« Reply #39 on: 21 Mar 2006, 07:44 pm »
Quote from: Wayne1
If there is anyone interested in listening to this comparison, drop me a line and I will let you know where and when this will happen, as soon as I know.

You know I'm interested. Always want to meet new folks and hear new systems. :-)