Newbie DAC and HiRez guidance

JGeorge027

Newbie DAC and HiRez guidance
« on: 8 Feb 2017, 09:06 pm »
Hi all...I asked this question in the starting block and was directed here.  First, here's my setup:

Pre:  Audio by Van Alstine Fet Valve CF
Amp:  McIntosh 2105
Source(s):  Oppo BDP-83, NuPrime WR-100
Speakers:  VMPS Ribbon Monitor 2

I would like some advice on getting into the DAC and/or Hi-Res game.  I'm primarily (80%) streaming Tidal or Spotify to the NuPrime WR-100 (over wireless) and then into the AVA Fet Valve (then to McIntosh 2105 and VMPS Ribbon Monitor 2's).  I also play (20%) some CD's from the Oppo analog into the Fet Valve CF.  I have started looking at downloading some higher quality music files but could use some advice on how to start and what/where/how the DAC would play into this rig.  Thinking of something inexpensive to start (relatively), such as the Oppo Sonica, NuPrime's, Schiit, etc. but totally open to suggestions. 

I guess it's a two part question...how do I make my current streaming/CD listening even better, and then is there something that will also serve for the longer run when I build up a collection on hard drive/USB/NAS.

For instance, can I just insert a DAC between the WR-100 and the Fet Valve CF (via Optical) and do the same thing with the Oppo (via Optical or Coax) and voila?

And for the files I download, in the very short term can I just download onto a USB drive and plug into the DAC?  And get into music server and NAS stuff later?

Sorry for the completely newbie and simple questions...Thanks in advance...

Jack

WC

Re: Newbie DAC and HiRez guidance
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2017, 10:38 pm »
Yes, you can insert a DAC between your Oppo and WR-100 and your preamp. Depending on the DAC you get that should be an upgrade.

There are many different ways to get started with HiRez. Almost all of them require a computer of some sort. Since you have a box in the WR-100 that you could use to play files through your system, I would just start with buying a hard drive and ripping your CDs to a lossless format. Try some different options with those files. There is no one way to do it. You need to store the files on a hard drive connected to a music server or on a NAS. The music server can be connected directly to the DAC or across the network through devices like the WR-100 or the microrendu.

JGeorge027

« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2017, 01:41 am »
Thanks, WC...very helpful.

I think I'll dip into the DAC side and no problem on the ripping, but am still trying to work through some confusion on the hard drive/music server/NAS piece and how to connect it all together.

I'll keep reading but in the meantime if there are any "for dummies" guides that you or the forum know of feel free to pass them along!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2017, 12:58 pm »
On the Apple circle there's a getting started with a Mac near the top of the thread listing.  It describes how to rip CD's to iTunes.

As far as DAC's the best collection of current reviews I'm aware of is at audiostream.com. 

Schiit is always a good choice for DAC's as nearly all of their offerings are upgradable, but they won't do DSD/DXD or MQA.

As fast as digital technology is changing buying used (yesterday's technology) is IMO starting out one step backwards.

JGeorge027

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2017, 09:53 pm »
Thank you...the getting started guide was very helpful!

liptrader

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2019, 11:15 am »
Hi Rez has come to iPHONEs. Has anybody tried it? How good is it compared to other devices? Thanks