What is happening?

borism

What is happening?
« on: 1 Jul 2013, 03:53 pm »
Duke,
It has ben so quiet in your circle. What is happening?
Boris

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
Re: What is happening?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2013, 08:04 am »
Hi borism,

I've actually been working with some pretty sharp minds on three major projects within the world of home world. 

One of these projects involves an ingenious variation on the bipolar theme.  The inventor has done a great deal of experimenting and discovery, and I am now working on a dedicated prototype system that will incorporate radiation patterns and other characteristics optimized for this application.  I'm actually right in the middle of crossover design now.

One of these projects involves a new type of loudspeaker enclosure.  It draws from disciplines not traditionally associated with loudspeaker design, and much of what's going on inside (and outside - that is, out in the room) is frankly over my head.  The inventors have licensed me to bring their technology into the home audio world.  I have built several prototypes so far, moving my way up the learning curve. 

The third joint project is... probably too early to say much about it, except that it involves a specific amplifier/loudspeaker match-up. 

In solo projects, I'll soon be posting pics of a new monopole speaker and a new bipolar speaker.   

I continue to do a fair amount of work in the bass guitar cab and studio monitor world.  A recording studio with main monitors that I designed was honored in Mix Magazine's "Class of 2013" feature article in the June issue.   In addition, I have done some crossover design work for other manufacturers on the prosound side. 

I will be exhibiting at RMAF this year, though I do not yet know which speakers will be there.  But I think I can say with a fair amount of confidence that they will be something very few people have seen before.

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2013, 03:16 pm »
Duke,

Good luck with whatever you build. I admire your willingness to explore and push the envelope to produce great sounding speakers that are affordable.

borism

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2013, 08:31 pm »
Duke,

I am also looking forward to reading about and at some point hearing (maybe at RMAF) some of these new creations.

Best,
Boris

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2013, 06:58 am »
Duke,

Good luck with whatever you build. I admire your willingness to explore and push the envelope to produce great sounding speakers that are affordable.

Duke,

I am also looking forward to reading about and at some point hearing (maybe at RMAF) some of these new creations.

Best,
Boris

Thank you both very much.  There's a certain amount of ego I have to overcome to work on someone else's invention, but on the other hand if I can make a few contributions along the way that is also very satisfying.   

I will be showing at RMAF this year, looks like it'll be Room 431.  We will probably be a lot closer to October before I'll be able to say for sure what I'll be showing.

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2013, 02:09 pm »
Major kudos to Duke for always being willing to think outside the BOX, both literally and figuratively.  :thumb:

Best Regards,
~Greg

bluemike

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2013, 03:18 pm »
Duke I wish you were closer so I could hear some of your speakers
here north of the border I haven't come across anybody that owns some of your speakers
if you're ever in Toronto showing some of your work please let us know

Some interesting designs you have comiing up I gather  :thumb:

CometCKO

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jul 2013, 07:16 pm »
Hey Duke, nice to hear that you're still actively exploring things.  Love that about you, and your willingness to share the learning from your explorations.

Eagerly waiting to hear more...