Grover U8 Interconnects

DSK

Re: Grover U8 Interconnects
« Reply #20 on: 4 Dec 2006, 01:25 am »
...i can see where both of you are coming from.  when i took the grovers out and put the electra's in , i thought the electras sounded much cleaner but a bit dull.  after further comparison however,  I realized that the grovers seem to have smilie face frequency response with a boost in the highs and lows (like rock settings on equalizers).  this does give an exciting sound and the boost in the highs can make the sound appear to be more transparent.   i can see why people would like these cables their systems....(I've been using grovers for about a year now).  But when I put the electras in place, it made the grovers sound unrefined and artificial in comparison.  all of the detail is there with the electras, but is presented in a more natural and refined fashion.

also i noticed something wierd while comparing the two cables.  at the same volume setting the grovers are louder than the electras.  i need to raise the volume a click or two to get the same loudness with the electras in place.  did you guys notice this?

Was this 'measured' or 'perceived'? The over-emphasis of certain freq ranges that you mentioned may be making the Grovers seem louder. Several times I have installed a higher quality component (ie. more open and balanced freq response) and thought it sounded not so loud, until I tried to talk to the person next to me and realised how loud it was. Similarly, I have remotely turned up the volume to where it sounded like the same volume as the previous component, then realised that the volume setting was now much higher but there was less distortion or artifacts to cause it to sound louder.

If both sets of cables are RCA, it would seem unlikely that there would be an audible insertion loss difference.

Phil

Re: Grover U8 Interconnects
« Reply #21 on: 27 Dec 2006, 01:27 am »
I respectfully disagree with the fellow who said that Grover’s S interconnect boosts the HF and LF (although the balance wasn’t quite right out of the box).   To my ears and tastes, and in my system, there is a significant improvement over Grover’s previous U series.  The S cable is more refined in the HF (I don’t hear any boost at all).  It does go lower in the LF, but I don’t believe it does so in an artificial way.

The micro-dynamic details are much more present in the S cable.  What makes the S cable, well S-pecial, in my opinion, is how the increased transparency and resolution emerges in a natural, organic and relaxed presentation.     

So, I’m disagreeing because there must be folks out there who will hear it the way I do (that is, have similar tastes) and it would be a shame to miss such a great cable that is so reasonably priced.

And for those of you who have the really expensive stuff, it would be great if you would compare the S cable to what you use and report back.

Don’t forget Grover offers a money-back guarantee, so trying this wonderful cable will only cost you if you keep it.    Burn-in is about 20 – 25 hours. 

Happy Listening,

Phil