BDP-2 Digital Player

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1520 on: 12 Jul 2016, 10:16 am »
Hi Folks,

Sneak peak - new review on the Bryston BDP-2 Player and BDA-3 DAC combo coming soon:

"The Bryston BDP-2 digital file and network player used in tandem with the BDA-3 DAC is the best digital front end I have had in my system. 

The versatility, build, ease of setup, and sound quality are unrivalled in my experience at least."

Andre Marc

Pundamilia

« Reply #1521 on: 14 Jul 2016, 01:04 am »
Just got my brand new BDP-2 installed (upgrade from a BDP1). I HAD everything working except the network connection. I am still having problems with the network connection (which never did work, but I have been having router issues the last few days - No 2.4 GHz radio transmission, although I have a hard-wired ethernet connection directly to a gigabit switch which shows the BDP-2 connection as being intermittent).

So I am trying to use the BDP-2 from the front panel until I can get the network sorted out. The BDP-2 is virtually deaf, dumb and blind (as the old blues song goes) without a network connection. I press the right arrow to navigate down the directory tree on an external hard drive plugged into a rear USB port. When I get to the song title (which shows the full path on the screen, e.g. /media/disk/directory_name/.../Artist/"I can't read the rest". When I press the right arrow one more time, the screen shows the right arrow with the square underneath it, but nothing is playing. I tried using a USB flash drive plugged into the front, but get the same result. Shouldn't the song start playing? Even if I hit the play button, "Loading" flashes in the display and then I just get the right arrow and square on the display with nothing else and no sound.

When I did have it working, I could not get it to move forward to the next song. The Next button just gives me a fast forward within the current song and the right arrow key didn't seem to do anything.

Without a network connection, I can't even upgrade the firmware (currently S2.20 2015-11-20 (is this really the firmware version that is currently shipping?)

Any suggestions for better navigation through the front panel until I resolve the network issues?

Thanks.

Pundamilia

« Reply #1522 on: 14 Jul 2016, 12:39 pm »
UPDATE: Got the BDP-2 connected to the Internet (switch may be faulty) and upgraded to the latest firmware. Everything seems to be working as expected. Makes all the difference!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1523 on: 14 Jul 2016, 12:44 pm »
UPDATE: Got the BDP-2 connected to the Internet (switch may be faulty) and upgraded to the latest firmware. Everything seems to be working as expected. Makes all the difference!

Great news - Enjoy :thumb:

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com

dallyd31

« Reply #1525 on: 17 Jul 2016, 11:28 pm »
after a a fair amount of confusion, finally got the BDP 2 set up to ,my NAS.  Certainly not near as user friendly as my Simaudio Moon, but it does sound better, no question

This may be a dumb , question, but does Manic Moose have issues with rocognising certain albums or artists ?  Songs and albums that are properly labeled and categorized (under the proper artist) with my Moon, are missing on the BDP. There seems to be a ton of songs and albums just labeled as "various" artists it seems. If I search for them they are there, but they are not labelled.  Pearl Jam's CD" Ten" for example is a full album listed under the artist "pearl jam" with the Moon, but I have to do a search with the BDP as its not labeled as any artist

And secondly, is there any simple way to access internet radio other than B radio  ? A couple of my go to stations don't seem to be available on B radio.....at least I can't find them. (And there is no search function)

The other issue is that every time I turn the BDP on, and go into the Bryston app, I need to go into "NAS setup" and click the radio button beside my NAS drive and also click on my network under "network interfaces". Almost like it won't save the setting when I exit each time
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2016, 02:34 am by dallyd31 »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1526 on: 18 Jul 2016, 03:20 am »
after a a fair amount of confusion, finally got the BDP 2 set up to ,my NAS.  Certainly not near as user friendly as my Simaudio Moon, but it does sound better, no question

This may be a dumb , question, but does Manic Moose have issues with rocognising certain albums or artists ?  Songs and albums that are properly labeled and categorized (under the proper artist) with my Moon, are missing on the BDP. There seems to be a ton of songs and albums just labeled as "various" artists it seems. If I search for them they are there, but they are not labelled.  Pearl Jam's CD" Ten" for example is a full album listed under the artist "pearl jam" with the Moon, but I have to do a search with the BDP as its not labeled as any artist

And secondly, is there any simple way to access internet radio other than B radio  ? A couple of my go to stations don't seem to be available on B radio.....at least I can't find them. (And there is no search function)

The other issue is that every time I turn the BDP on, and go into the Bryston app, I need to go into "NAS setup" and click the radio button beside my NAS drive and also click on my network under "network interfaces". Almost like it won't save the setting when I exit each time

It sounds like your not allowing the BDP to finish scanning your library, you have update mpd at startup turned or your using the Dlna client.

dallyd31

« Reply #1527 on: 18 Jul 2016, 04:17 am »
It sounds like your not allowing the BDP to finish scanning your library, you have update mpd at startup turned or your using the Dlna client.

So, should DNLA client be checked ?

Any idea why every time I turn the unit on I have to select the NAS and the network ?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1528 on: 18 Jul 2016, 02:54 pm »
So, should DNLA client be checked ?
NO
Any idea why every time I turn the unit on I have to select the NAS and the network ?
It sounds like your not allowing the BDP to finish scanning your library or you have update mpd at startup turned

dallyd31

« Reply #1529 on: 18 Jul 2016, 05:29 pm »
NOIt sounds like your not allowing the BDP to finish scanning your library or you have update mpd at startup turned

Thanks

Seems to be working better now.

As far as internet radio, if the station is not available in shoutcast, is it available on b radio ?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1530 on: 18 Jul 2016, 11:56 pm »
Thanks

Seems to be working better now.

As far as internet radio, if the station is not available in shoutcast, is it available on b radio ?

The two are identical, there is a box for adding your own stations to play, the link must be to a icecast server or a playlist containing icecast/shoutcast servers.

dallyd31

« Reply #1531 on: 19 Jul 2016, 12:31 am »
Great, thanks

Many of the ones I listen to aren't on shoutcast.  Several are actual on-air radio stations that also broadcast over the web that I could stream on my previous player (Moon)

I guess I'll have to find some new favs

Is there a way to do a search of the stations on b radio ?

vonnie123

« Reply #1532 on: 20 Jul 2016, 07:22 am »
Are the USB A ports on the reverse of the BDP-2 and BDP-1 bi-directional.  (e.g., can they be used to output USB signal to a DAC.

Marius

« Reply #1533 on: 20 Jul 2016, 07:58 am »
Known wanted (and often requested) feature for the BDP

Workarounds i use:

- edit a m3u file with the internet stream and add it to the playlists on the BDP
- put the BDP i Shairplay mode and use TuneIn to stream to it, or any other app that is able to use airplay.

- new: try to add it to the new internet radio interface if you use Roon. Should be able to copy-paste the TuneIn streams.

There are other ways of course depending on the Apps you use.

Cheers,
Marius

Great, thanks

Many of the ones I listen to aren't on shoutcast.  Several are actual on-air radio stations that also broadcast over the web that I could stream on my previous player (Moon)

I guess I'll have to find some new favs

Is there a way to do a search of the stations on b radio ?

dallyd31

« Reply #1534 on: 20 Jul 2016, 11:57 pm »
Known wanted (and often requested) feature for the BDP

Workarounds i use:

- edit a m3u file with the internet stream and add it to the playlists on the BDP
- put the BDP i Shairplay mode and use TuneIn to stream to it, or any other app that is able to use airplay.

- new: try to add it to the new internet radio interface if you use Roon. Should be able to copy-paste the TuneIn streams.

There are other ways of course depending on the Apps you use.

Cheers,
Marius

So, if I have the tunein app on my iPad and enable shareplay on manic moose, I can stream tunein though the BDP2 ?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1535 on: 21 Jul 2016, 12:50 am »
So, if I have the tunein app on my iPad and enable shareplay on manic moose, I can stream tunein though the BDP2 ?

Should work, just keep in mind it isn't a legit AirPlay protocol.

dallyd31

« Reply #1536 on: 21 Jul 2016, 01:34 am »

Whaddaya know. It works !

Now, will this also work with android ?

Marius

« Reply #1537 on: 21 Jul 2016, 08:39 am »

Sure, do it all the time, been doing for a long time, works on the BDP1 too ;)

Cool to stream the Bayreuth Festival in the auditorium: http://www.operacast.com/bayreuth_2016.htm#July
Enjoy!

Marius

« Reply #1538 on: 21 Jul 2016, 08:51 am »
HI Chris,

My experience so far with Shairplay is that the only thing frustrating perfect operation were competing services on the BDP. I expect that since you've changed into services being mutually excluding, problems in that corner will be gone.

I've played very long radio streams (Bayreuth festival live opera streaming) through shairplay without any issues whatsoever.
 :thumb:
Cheers,
Marius

dallyd31

« Reply #1539 on: 21 Jul 2016, 03:54 pm »
HI Chris,

My experience so far with Shairplay is that the only thing frustrating perfect operation were competing services on the BDP. I expect that since you've changed into services being mutually excluding, problems in that corner will be gone.

I've played very long radio streams (Bayreuth festival live opera streaming) through shairplay without any issues whatsoever.
 :thumb:
Cheers,
Marius

Seems that when I enable shareplay it will "uncheck" the MPD, and I need to keep going back to check the appropriate box in services if I am streaming digital files from my NAS, and vice versa.  Is this correct that both cannot be enabled at the same time ?