BDP-2 Digital Player

Samurai7595

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1500 on: 22 Jun 2016, 01:20 pm »
I have my bdp-2 for a couple of weeks now with about 120 hours on it. Compared to the bdp-1 (which i had traded in) the bdp-2 sounds more dynamic ,with better details and tonality. The bdp-1 however sounds smoother and more liquid. The bdp-2 sounds more digital with a hotter top end. I am using the balance output on the bdp-2 and was using the rca output on the bdp-1. When i use the rca output on the bdp-2 , the top end is not as bright but i lose some of the dynamics and details. I am using an early kimber orchid for balance and a atlas mavros digital cable for the rca going into a meitner ma-1. I was wondering if further burn in of the bdp-2 would lead to a more natural top end or if I should try a different aes/ebu cable?

You should try USB from the BDP-2 to the Meitner.

vklyushnikov

« Reply #1501 on: 22 Jun 2016, 02:43 pm »
Hi All,

I experience a strange problem with my BDP-2 - Random error 05 messages with absolutely correct input voltage. My unit is European model with 230 v  voltage, but error 05 message shows 224 v! 224 is far away from 190 v or 254 v boundaries specified in manual. The error appears only once, I press power button  off and on again - and BDP-2 boots without any problems. Such behaviour is very annoying, how to get rid off it? Possibly some firmware error?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1502 on: 22 Jun 2016, 03:10 pm »
Hi All,

I experience a strange problem with my BDP-2 - Random error 05 messages with absolutely correct input voltage. My unit is European model with 230 v  voltage, but error 05 message shows 224 v! 224 is far away from 190 v or 254 v boundaries specified in manual. The error appears only once, I press power button  off and on again - and BDP-2 boots without any problems. Such behaviour is very annoying, how to get rid off it? Possibly some firmware error?

It only needs to exceed the threshold for a fraction of a second to cause the trip and a multi-meter won't pick up that type of spike

vklyushnikov

« Reply #1503 on: 22 Jun 2016, 03:46 pm »
It only needs to exceed the threshold for a fraction of a second to cause the trip and a multi-meter won't pick up that type of spike
Ok, but why it reports valid value? Logically it should report which value exceeded threshold, isn't it? But it reports valid 224 v.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1504 on: 22 Jun 2016, 06:51 pm »
Ok, but why it reports valid value? Logically it should report which value exceeded threshold, isn't it? But it reports valid 224 v.

you mean the value shown in the lower right hand corner of the display?  that's not the voltage, that's the 8bit analog value measured by the micro. 

Falldog

« Reply #1505 on: 22 Jun 2016, 07:12 pm »
Dallas Texas in Summer

My BDP-2 keeps tripping off with the 05 / 124 Error message which, i believe means an issue with the source power.

Since I cannot control the Power Grid, What products would you recommend that would allow the BDP-2 to have a constant power source?  Would the this power device need to have a battery?

NOTE:  In the past I had a PS Audio Power Plant Premier, but it failed out of warranty with annoying clicking sound.  My BDP-2 would still have issues with the 05 / 124 error even when plugged into the PS Audio Power Plant Premier.

Falldog

« Reply #1506 on: 23 Jun 2016, 03:34 pm »
Last night was an 04/124 Error code.  BDP-2 required reboot to allow web access.

What can I do?

Tympani

« Reply #1507 on: 23 Jun 2016, 05:11 pm »
Might I respectfully suggest that you work this out with Bryston Technical Support, and get back with us if the problem/solution are of general usefulness. So many of our posts concern individual trouble-shooting that end up related to local setups. I definitely feel your frustration when glitches happen. And granted, some of the ultimate solutions are educational to the community, but I have personally had much quicker results discussing privately with Chris or other team members first.

Rod_S

« Reply #1508 on: 23 Jun 2016, 10:56 pm »
Dallas Texas in Summer

My BDP-2 keeps tripping off with the 05 / 124 Error message which, i believe means an issue with the source power.

Since I cannot control the Power Grid, What products would you recommend that would allow the BDP-2 to have a constant power source?  Would the this power device need to have a battery?

NOTE:  In the past I had a PS Audio Power Plant Premier, but it failed out of warranty with annoying clicking sound.  My BDP-2 would still have issues with the 05 / 124 error even when plugged into the PS Audio Power Plant Premier.

A Bryston BIT AVR unit would keep your voltage more stable, that might help you in this situation.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #1509 on: 24 Jun 2016, 06:43 am »
Dallas Texas in Summer

I think you need something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA55W25B4769
This will solve the power irregularities for you.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1510 on: 25 Jun 2016, 12:14 pm »
I think you need something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA55W25B4769
This will solve the power irregularities for you.

These units are apparently really noisy.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #1511 on: 25 Jun 2016, 06:39 pm »
These units are apparently really noisy.
Ah... I did not know this, I live in a part of the world with very stable current. Maybe one black out per 2 years. Voltage hovers around 225 Volts, no matter what time of day. So I don't need it, and as such I have never heard one.
I know that a medical grade version of a UPS exists. Maybe that would work?

vonnie123

« Reply #1512 on: 25 Jun 2016, 06:52 pm »
Dallas Texas in Summer

APC H15, or if you can swing it, PSAudio P3, P5, or P10.  I also had a Power Plant Premier.  Bought it refurbished from music direct.  It failed out of the box (clicking) and I returned it, and replaced it with a P5.  Only issue was getting the display screen replaced under warranty - one pixel line went bad.   Has worked great for 3 plus years.

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
« Reply #1513 on: 26 Jun 2016, 01:21 pm »
I have my bdp-2 for a couple of weeks now with about 120 hours on it. Compared to the bdp-1 (which i had traded in) the bdp-2 sounds more dynamic ,with better details and tonality. The bdp-1 however sounds smoother and more liquid. The bdp-2 sounds more digital with a hotter top end. I am using the balance output on the bdp-2 and was using the rca output on the bdp-1. When i use the rca output on the bdp-2 , the top end is not as bright but i lose some of the dynamics and details. I am using an early kimber orchid for balance and a atlas mavros digital cable for the rca going into a meitner ma-1. I was wondering if further burn in of the bdp-2 would lead to a more natural top end or if I should try a different aes/ebu cable?

This is why I stayed with the bdp-1 and never went to the bdp-2.  I do a lot of headphone listening and this is even more pronounced with my cans on.  I did do some cable swapping to mitigate tonal issues before I got the bdp-1 and only crapped up the music.  I went back to the cables I liked the most and when the bdp-1 was put into the mix the clouds parted for me so to speak.  I'm not a fan of cable swapping for tone or mitigation of issues.  If it was me, I'd break it in full time for at least a month and if it did not please me, I'd replace it with what did.

alinto

« Reply #1514 on: 27 Jun 2016, 04:37 am »

This is why I stayed with the bdp-1 and never went to the bdp-2.  I do a lot of headphone listening and this is even more pronounced with my cans on.  I did do some cable swapping to mitigate tonal issues before I got the bdp-1 and only crapped up the music.  I went back to the cables I liked the most and when the bdp-1 was put into the mix the clouds parted for me so to speak.  I'm not a fan of cable swapping for tone or mitigation of issues.  If it was me, I'd break it in full time for at least a month and if it did not please me, I'd replace it with what did.

I am going to let it burn in some more. It is starting to sound less bright but i think it is the aes cable. When i had the bdp-1 i was using the same aes cable and found the top end more extend but more ragged. I used the rca connection because it performed the same as the aes connection without the bright top end. With the bdp-2 the aes connection overall sounds better than the rca connection.

Krutsch

« Reply #1515 on: 27 Jun 2016, 05:55 am »

+1 ... I experimented for some time with USB out from my BDP-1 into an external USB-S/PDIF converter (Bel Canto REFLink) and it sounded different (as the earlier poster said: dynamic), but I went back to AES out directly into my DAC for the smoothness, which is what keeps me a fan of the BDP-1.

dallyd31

« Reply #1516 on: 10 Jul 2016, 08:38 pm »
Forgive me if this has been addressed already or if this seems overly simplistic.  But I have a Simaudio Moon Mind streamer fed to a BDA2 DAC and am considering upgrading to the BDP 2 player.  The Mind is very simple and straightforward to use, and seeing as I am not a super techy guy, I just want to know if I can use it the same as my Mind. That, simply is:

Have all my music on a NAS drive, control my total music library from the NAS drive via a tablet and play and build playlists as required.  Stream internet radio.   New music is added to the NAS drive as I obtain it.

This is what I do on the Mind.  Easy, simple, straightforward and no messing around

I just want to keep it very simple.  Is keeping it this simple and straightforward with the the BDP 2 possible and the norm ?

Dave Jameson

« Reply #1517 on: 10 Jul 2016, 09:11 pm »
Forgive me if this has been addressed already or if this seems overly simplistic.  But I have a Simaudio Moon Mind streamer fed to a BDA2 DAC and am considering upgrading to the BDP 2 player.  The Mind is very simple and straightforward to use, and seeing as I am not a super techy guy, I just want to know if I can use it the same as my Mind. That, simply is:

Have all my music on a NAS drive, control my total music library from the NAS drive via a tablet and play and build playlists as required.  Stream internet radio.   New music is added to the NAS drive as I obtain it.

This is what I do on the Mind.  Easy, simple, straightforward and no messing around

I just want to keep it very simple.  Is keeping it this simple and straightforward with the the BDP 2 possible and the norm ?

The MiND app is a better overall interface and has superior Tidal and Internet Radio integration. Where the BDP2 is superior is in sound quality and, with an internal hard drive installed, it is less network intensive. The BDP2 is also Roon enabled (beautiful) and as of yet no mention of Roon compatibility has been announced from Simaudio Moon.

But, yes, you can use it just like your MiND: to read files from a network share as well as Tidal and Internet Radio. But you will have manually update the BDP2 in order for new network files to be available. No big deal. The MiND app also generally requires a refresh before new network files appear.

Try to arrange a demo of a BDP.

Cheers,
DJ

dallyd31

« Reply #1518 on: 10 Jul 2016, 09:48 pm »
The MiND app is a better overall interface and has superior Tidal and Internet Radio integration. Where the BDP2 is superior is in sound quality and, with an internal hard drive installed, it is less network intensive. The BDP2 is also Roon enabled (beautiful) and as of yet no mention of Roon compatibility has been announced from Simaudio Moon.

But, yes, you can use it just like your MiND: to read files from a network share as well as Tidal and Internet Radio. But you will have manually update the BDP2 in order for new network files to be available. No big deal. The MiND app also generally requires a refresh before new network files appear.

Try to arrange a demo of a BDP.

Cheers,
DJ

So, would you say that the BDP2 has better sound quality on flac files from the NAS vs the Mind ? (Not on an internal HD)

No network issues on the Mind to date,  and it is hard wired to the router with a CAT 6 cable, so no concerns with network anticipated for the BDP2

Dave Jameson

« Reply #1519 on: 11 Jul 2016, 01:46 am »
So, would you say that the BDP2 has better sound quality on flac files from the NAS vs the Mind ? (Not on an internal HD)

No network issues on the Mind to date,  and it is hard wired to the router with a CAT 6 cable, so no concerns with network anticipated for the BDP2

I did have the opportunity to test both a BDP2 and MiND through the same DAC playing the same files from a NAS and the BDP2 was superior...and not just a little bit either! But the Bryston is exactly "streaming" files in the same manor as the MiND. So is this difference in sound quality due to the file sharing protocol? Can't say.

Now, the MiND has had a few firmware updates since I did my test and perhaps there has been a performance boost. Hence why I think you should really get into contact with a Bryston dealer to orchestrate a demo...find out for yourself :)