BDP-2 Digital Player

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1440 on: 26 Apr 2016, 10:29 am »
James - Still trying to figure out the "pop" between DSD tracks that have been extracted from an SACD iso ripped from SACD via Playstation...  I get no "pop" sound on the start up of the first track.  However, if I add only one track to the Now Playing list, there is a "pop" (fairly loud to very loud) once the track ends.  If I add more than one DSD track to the Now Playing list, there is a "pop" at the end of each track, before the next track begins.  If this issue has some similarity to the pop/click on SACD playback on HDMI that the firmware upgrade resolved for the most part, it there a chance Bryston would take a look at this phenomena.  I see the phenomena is well-documented on various audio blogs and posts, but most trace it back to the playback hardware now, not the file itself.  I'd be glad to send along a couple short tracks that I hear the "pop" sound when played back.

We are looking at it but so far we have not been able to repeat the problem.  I have about 1000 DSD files ripped from the Sony and I do not have the issue - not sure what is going on there in your setup? I assume you have the latest firmware loaded on the BDA3 DAC? If you want to send me a few files I will have a look and I will send you back a few of my files to test.

We did solve the DSD pop when using the OPPO for Pause, Stop and Next but I have not heard about adding DSD files to a playlist being an issue - what player are you using - a BDP-2?

james
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2016, 11:54 am by James Tanner »

davidtgoh

« Reply #1441 on: 26 Apr 2016, 02:56 pm »
James,
Yes, I have a BDP-2 (Juli - Firmware S2.24 2016-02-08) connected via USB to BDA-3 (u2016.03d).

Files stored on Internal HD on BDP-2 or on USB connected Seagate drive - pop occurs no matter where file is stored.

SACD iso extracted using either TraX Audio SACD Extractor or Sonore ISO2DSD with either MacMini or MacBook Pro (El Cap 10.11.4).  Pop occurs on dsf files created by either program.  I have wondered whether the pop is a Mac based issue in how it creates the extracted ISO file - but that's just a guess.

Sites that report the pop between DSD tracks (with various suggested fixes) include:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/dsd-playback-gives-loud-click-between-tracks/1620
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91838.0 BEGINNING Reply #8
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96962.0

I'll email you to see if I can DropBox or Box you a couple short DSD files.

(I also still get a pop sometimes when the Oppo 95 loads a SACD disc or finishes a disc, connected via HDMI to the BDA-3, but that's a topic for another day).

Thank you for all the support - its what for me makes Bryston the best.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1442 on: 26 Apr 2016, 03:20 pm »
James,
Yes, I have a BDP-2 (Juli - Firmware S2.24 2016-02-08) connected via USB to BDA-3 (u2016.03d).

Files stored on Internal HD on BDP-2 or on USB connected Seagate drive - pop occurs no matter where file is stored.

SACD iso extracted using either TraX Audio SACD Extractor or Sonore ISO2DSD with either MacMini or MacBook Pro (El Cap 10.11.4).  Pop occurs on dsf files created by either program.  I have wondered whether the pop is a Mac based issue in how it creates the extracted ISO file - but that's just a guess.

Sites that report the pop between DSD tracks (with various suggested fixes) include:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/dsd-playback-gives-loud-click-between-tracks/1620
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91838.0 BEGINNING Reply #8
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96962.0

I'll email you to see if I can DropBox or Box you a couple short DSD files.

(I also still get a pop sometimes when the Oppo 95 loads a SACD disc or finishes a disc, connected via HDMI to the BDA-3, but that's a topic for another day).

Thank you for all the support - its what for me makes Bryston the best.

Send me a  thumbdrive with the files and I will send you a few of mine on the way back.  The DSD files I have were downloads and done on a Windows system so maybe that explains it.

james

Yitshak

« Reply #1443 on: 27 Apr 2016, 08:32 am »
After all considerations taken,BDP-2 win the next Bryston step up!
Just ordered 2 units in silver with Bryston Cables AES/ABU.

The option to split music for difererent categories relatively small batch of files
On flash/SSD drives And the capability to play them from the machine
direct control buttons (with no computer involve in the chain If I choose to do so)...like a CD was very persuasive for me.

The importance is that I get to choose when I want to play computer head
or keep things strait simple Redbook like.
So I have both world available.

Now we wait
Cheers

Itshak

Samurai7595

« Reply #1444 on: 28 Apr 2016, 12:24 pm »
After all considerations taken,BDP-2 win the next Bryston step up!
Just ordered 2 units in silver with Bryston Cables AES/ABU.

The option to split music for difererent categories relatively small batch of files
On flash/SSD drives And the capability to play them from the machine
direct control buttons (with no computer involve in the chain If I choose to do so)...like a CD was very persuasive for me.

The importance is that I get to choose when I want to play computer head
or keep things strait simple Redbook like.
So I have both world available.

Now we wait
Cheers

Itshak

Hi Itshak, I'm trying to understand why you would need two units.  Would it be for two separate systems?

Yitshak

« Reply #1445 on: 28 Apr 2016, 06:14 pm »
Hi Itshak, I'm trying to understand why you would need two units.  Would it be for two separate systems?

Yes Samurai

I have two Bryston systems BDA2 and 3

Itshak

Yitshak

« Reply #1446 on: 28 Apr 2016, 06:37 pm »
So far so good.

Spent the last 24 hours preparing
2 new hard drives for the BDP-2's my small library (around 15 K of files )rearrange methodically all
Tag to small (Gener/Artist) batches for ease of control and quick navigation.

classical/symphonies/concertos/chambers
Jazz/big bands/small ensembles/singers
Prog Metal/Prog Rock /Heavy Metal/Rock
Modern Flamenco instrumental all cut to categories as much as need.

Now wi fi router ready CAT6 cables tomorrow will be in place,
For the NAS and IPads remotes,and the optional MPD or manic..
I'm still closing gaps on this...But I'll catch up until the units will arrived.

Both Computers will stay in stations connected via the USB to the DACs
For the near future.
But in large from tomorrow I'll be ready for the coming
BDP's up to a point of simple plug and play.

Itshak

tdb4rdd

« Reply #1447 on: 3 May 2016, 03:03 pm »
After the last update of new albums/songs, BDP-2 now has duplicate songs, incorrect Genre database, etc. Can someone help me with instructions on how to re-build the music database in BDP-2? I tried various options like "Clear Cache' in Settings-Music Player Daemon and "Reset DB" in Media player settings. Thanks in advance.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1448 on: 3 May 2016, 03:11 pm »
After the last update of new albums/songs, BDP-2 now has duplicate songs, incorrect Genre database, etc. Can someone help me with instructions on how to re-build the music database in BDP-2? I tried various options like "Clear Cache' in Settings-Music Player Daemon and "Reset DB" in Media player settings. Thanks in advance.

What are you using to browse your music?  If your using something like mPad it will have its own database that will need to be rebuilt.  Otherwise if your using Media Player the only other option i can think of to check is "Bryston DB: Merge similar genre" and to check if your drive has trash or recycling folder.

Cheers,
Chris

tdb4rdd

« Reply #1449 on: 3 May 2016, 04:02 pm »
Hello Chris - I am using Safari Web browser. I am using an external USB-based hard drive. What I need to do to enable trash drive? thanks for your help.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1450 on: 3 May 2016, 06:23 pm »
Hello Chris - I am using Safari Web browser. I am using an external USB-based hard drive. What I need to do to enable trash drive? thanks for your help.

It sounds like you may have had the usb drive attached to a computer and attempted to remove a number of files, but had forgotten to empty your trash bin.

wilsonij

• BDP1>SP3>7B3s> Vandersteen Quatros
« Reply #1451 on: 3 May 2016, 08:31 pm »
It sounds like you may have had the usb drive attached to a computer and attempted to remove a number of files, but had forgotten to empty your trash bin.

That's exactly what had happened to me...

...for ages I could *not* work out why some files were duplicated on my BDP-1 and it was only by luck that I found a "hidden" recycling folder on the USB drive which contained things that had supposedly been deleted months ago !

Ian

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1452 on: 3 May 2016, 11:43 pm »
That's exactly what had happened to me...

...for ages I could *not* work out why some files were duplicated on my BDP-1 and it was only by luck that I found a "hidden" recycling folder on the USB drive which contained things that had supposedly been deleted months ago !

Ian

Everything is fine now?

tdb4rdd

« Reply #1453 on: 4 May 2016, 11:53 am »
thanks Chris and all - After cleaning up the trash folder, it worked perfectly in a very short time. Is it possible to manage the trash folder at firmware level that once database is built, the trash folder is deleted automatically?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1454 on: 4 May 2016, 02:36 pm »
I've never wanted to add anything that actively removes or ignores files without customers consent

tdb4rdd

« Reply #1455 on: 4 May 2016, 04:17 pm »
makes sense...but how do we improve the user friendliness or make system more intuitive to operate considering user manual instructions are not detail enough?

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1456 on: 5 May 2016, 04:13 am »
User "advanced" option with a popup window to confirm when you enable it.

alinto

« Reply #1457 on: 9 May 2016, 04:21 am »
How long does it normally take to receive the bdp-2? I hope it does not take as long as it took me to get the bha-1 a few years ago.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1458 on: 9 May 2016, 09:37 am »
How long does it normally take to receive the bdp-2? I hope it does not take as long as it took me to get the bha-1 a few years ago.

Hi alinto

I would say about 10 days depending on where you live.

James

Yitshak

« Reply #1459 on: 17 May 2016, 06:20 pm »
any Bryston gear I get turn out a winner and hit above expectations,
Like no other company for me.

BDP2's playing a charm better as the minute pass,
It's a bit smoother on the ears and better detailed
And volume can turn higher clock wile maintaining Thea easy going feel.

Will see in coming days how it will settle in both my setups.

Don't know why I was worried from the operating learning curve at all,
Very easy to connect and run like CD in basic mode by playing from the tumb drives.

But I already toying with the MPAD app and no issues.

Thanks Bryston I'm very happy with my setups like never before
and even more as the time pass.

Cheers

Itshak