BDP-2 Digital Player

Tympani

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1420 on: 18 Mar 2016, 03:24 pm »
Funny. I also have the MiniPro that you use. It is very solid, plus has great flexibility. It allowed me to compare the sound using eSATA (external), USB-bus powered, and USB wall wart powered, and then compare those external settings to an internal HD. Through that process, I concluded that the internal SATA sounded best, but as I noted above, I ended up with external USB-bus powered for the good sound plus convenience of file transfer. I did not like the MiniPro with wall wart.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #1421 on: 24 Mar 2016, 12:24 pm »
This has a regular 75 ohm rca coax out correct?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1422 on: 24 Mar 2016, 02:54 pm »
bnc, you'll need need an adapter to use a rca style cable

Dave Jameson

« Reply #1423 on: 24 Mar 2016, 03:40 pm »
Funny. I also have the MiniPro that you use. It is very solid, plus has great flexibility. It allowed me to compare the sound using eSATA (external), USB-bus powered, and USB wall wart powered, and then compare those external settings to an internal HD. Through that process, I concluded that the internal SATA sounded best, but as I noted above, I ended up with external USB-bus powered for the good sound plus convenience of file transfer. I did not like the MiniPro with wall wart.

Hi Tympani,

Is your BDP2 hooked up to your home network? If so, you can just copy files over network directly into a BDP2's internal SATA drive, without having to disconnect anything. Doesn't get much more convenient than that! :) Best sound and uber convenient.

On a side note, I'd be interested to know if anyone has compared streaming files from a NAS as opposed to an internal/external hard drive...but using high quality shielded Cat6 or Cat7 cables. Network connections seem to be the weakest link in a streaming environment but there are improvements being made all the time.

Cheers,
DJ

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1424 on: 24 Mar 2016, 04:13 pm »
I have my library (all CD rips) on my home server as well as on an internal SSD in my BDP-2. I personally cant hear a difference with any consistency. My network is all hard-wired with CAT6 cable and jacks. I get excellent throughput and no packet loss. The server is a typical PC with an SSD boot drive and 4 Western Digital Red HDDs (no mirroring or RAIDs). Backups are off-site via Cloudberry and Amazon Glacier, specifically set up to do all transfers at time when I'm not listening to music.

I have no idea if any of that affects audio quality.

Tympani

« Reply #1425 on: 25 Mar 2016, 02:09 pm »
Hi Tympani,

Is your BDP2 hooked up to your home network? If so, you can just copy files over network directly into a BDP2's internal SATA drive, without having to disconnect anything. Doesn't get much more convenient than that! :) Best sound and uber convenient.

On a side note, I'd be interested to know if anyone has compared streaming files from a NAS as opposed to an internal/external hard drive...but using high quality shielded Cat6 or Cat7 cables. Network connections seem to be the weakest link in a streaming environment but there are improvements being made all the time.

Cheers,
DJ

Dave, yes files can be copied over the network, but the transfer speed is very slow compared to plugging the SSD directly to my PC and transferring at USB 3.0 speed, taking full advantage of the SSD's superior write speed. Also easier to accomplish other functions like file renaming, folder organization, deleting, etc. For all these reasons, I have switched back to the external HD configuration. The BDP-2 remains connected to the network for control (using mPAD mostly for playing, and MAX for controlling my BOT-1 ripping functions)

Marius

« Reply #1426 on: 25 Mar 2016, 02:47 pm »
Hi DJ,

Copying: BDP1 over the network can be much slower than connecting the usb drives directly to your source Computer. Depending on the size and amount of the files (a lot of smaller files are copied much slower than a few bigger ones) it can be advantageous to disconnect from the BDP and hookup directly for copying. Per alum, i would say never mind the hassle and have patience for a few seconds more.

Playing/streaming form a NAS: No issues whatsoever, not sound difference either. I even tend to prefer the NAS setup, because of the limitless diskspace. Even more, a Nas doesn't suffer the USB limits the BDP's have per design. NAS can be setup in several shares on the BDP, creating virtual Disks in MM browser.

My setup is fully cabled cat6/7, and note, comprised of several switches, adding to the main router ports (which of course is a switch in itself), and an Apple Time Machine, acting as a switch and connected to my NAS. Still, playing/streaming beautifully.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Tympani,

Cheers,
DJ

ctrlm

« Reply #1427 on: 29 Mar 2016, 02:44 pm »
bnc, you'll need need an adapter to use a rca style cable

Hi

I haven't read through the whole thread. Being a BNC user.....I noticed that the BNC output connector in the photo of the rear on the Bryston site looks like 50 ohm (thicker dialectic than 75 ohm). Is that a conscious decision by Bryston?

Rod_S

« Reply #1428 on: 7 Apr 2016, 08:34 pm »
Anyone have issues with incorrect album art displaying when more than one artist has the same album title? If so how did you remedy it?

Krutsch

« Reply #1429 on: 7 Apr 2016, 08:37 pm »
Anyone have issues with incorrect album art displaying when more than one artist has the same album title? If so how did you remedy it?

Ah, yeah... If you look at the Manic Moose thread, it's reported in there. What I did: renamed my albums to prefix with the Artist name. For example, I had a collection of albums all called "Greatest Hits", which showed up in the Default view as a single album with NxM tracks.

So, I renamed "Greatest Hits" as "ZZ Top: Greatest Hits".

Another alternative is to use another app to manage the player, such as MPaD or Soundirok that doesn't have these issues.

Rod_S

« Reply #1430 on: 7 Apr 2016, 08:42 pm »
Thanks, that sucks that the Bryston app can't handle this situation properly. I'll have to rename I guess.
« Last Edit: 8 Apr 2016, 12:58 am by Rod_S »

davidtgoh

« Reply #1431 on: 11 Apr 2016, 04:27 pm »
I had no issues previously in accessing my BDP-2 hard drives (internal and attached) over CAT6 from my Mac Mini via Finder-Go-Connect to Server -102.168.0.18.  I don't believe I changed any settings, but it is now asking me to "Enter your name and password for the server "102.168.0.18", giving me the option to Connect as Guest or Registered User.  The Guest option will not let me through.  There is a Name and Password field for registered user.  Any idea what this permission is referring to?

I notice that in on MM - in settings, network interfaces - that I have not set a password.  Is this connected to the above?  I'm not having any trouble controlling the BDP-2 from the computer or iPad, etc.  I just can't directly access the various hard drives all of a sudden from the Mac Mini.

The CAT 5 is running into the main router (Cable Modem) from the Mac Mini, and the BDP-2 and BDA-3 are connect first to an 8 port switch that is connected to the main router.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1432 on: 11 Apr 2016, 05:09 pm »
I had no issues previously in accessing my BDP-2 hard drives (internal and attached) over CAT6 from my Mac Mini via Finder-Go-Connect to Server -102.168.0.18.  I don't believe I changed any settings, but it is now asking me to "Enter your name and password for the server "102.168.0.18", giving me the option to Connect as Guest or Registered User.  The Guest option will not let me through.  There is a Name and Password field for registered user.  Any idea what this permission is referring to?

I notice that in on MM - in settings, network interfaces - that I have not set a password.  Is this connected to the above?  I'm not having any trouble controlling the BDP-2 from the computer or iPad, etc.  I just can't directly access the various hard drives all of a sudden from the Mac Mini.

The CAT 5 is running into the main router (Cable Modem) from the Mac Mini, and the BDP-2 and BDA-3 are connect first to an 8 port switch that is connected to the main router.

Hi

User Name and Password are both...   bryston

davidtgoh

« Reply #1433 on: 11 Apr 2016, 05:31 pm »
Thanks James!

dallyd31

« Reply #1434 on: 26 Apr 2016, 12:06 am »
Ordered my new 4B3 (to replace my 4Bsst2) along with a BDP2.  The BDP will replace my current Sim Audio Moon Mind which is a nice player in its own right.  What it do have going for it, is utter simplicity to use.  Im hoping here is a nice improvement over the Moon.

From what I seem to be reading, there is no difference in sound quality having my flat files stored on a NAS drive and hard wired to the BDP via a CAT 6 cable. I hope this is he case ?   Initially I was assuming it would be better to have a hard drive attached via usb but if a NAS drive is no different, it saves me the hassle of reconfiguring and reloading my files

Also, sorry if this has been asked ad nauseum, but is there an Internet radio function on the BDP2 similar to the VTuner that is on my Sim Audio Moon ?   Is great to be able to stream an Internet radio station some days and just listen when I'm doing work or out on the deck

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1435 on: 26 Apr 2016, 12:24 am »
Ordered my new 4B3 (to replace my 4Bsst2) along with a BDA2.  The BDA will replace my current Sim Audio Moon Mind which is a nice player in its own right.  What it do have going for it, is utter simplicity to use.  Im hoping here is a nice improvement over the Moon.

From what I seem to be reading, there is no difference in sound quality having my flat files stored on a NAS drive and hard wired to the BDA via a CAT 6 cable. I hope this is he case ?   Initially I was assuming it would be better to have a hard drive attached via usb but if a NAS drive is no different, it saves me the hassle of reconfiguring and reloading my files

Also, sorry if this has been asked ad nauseum, but is there an Internet radio function on the BDA2 similar to the VTuner that is on my Sim Audio Moon ?   Is great to be able to stream an Internet radio station some days and just listen when I'm doing work or out on the deck

Hi

Chris can explain in greater detail but there is a Bryston Radio (all Shoutcast stations) available on the BDP-2 (I assume you meant BDP2 not BDA2?)  - I have stored about 10 favourite channels and use them like you suggest when I am relaxing or working in the soundroom.

james

dallyd31

« Reply #1436 on: 26 Apr 2016, 12:37 am »
Oops. Sorry, yes, I meant BDP2. 

I was actually looking at my BDA2 when I was writing and I guess it was in my head

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1437 on: 26 Apr 2016, 02:23 am »
Ordered my new 4B3 (to replace my 4Bsst2) along with a BDP2.  The BDP will replace my current Sim Audio Moon Mind which is a nice player in its own right.  What it do have going for it, is utter simplicity to use.  Im hoping here is a nice improvement over the Moon.

From what I seem to be reading, there is no difference in sound quality having my flat files stored on a NAS drive and hard wired to the BDP via a CAT 6 cable. I hope this is he case ?   Initially I was assuming it would be better to have a hard drive attached via usb but if a NAS drive is no different, it saves me the hassle of reconfiguring and reloading my files

Also, sorry if this has been asked ad nauseum, but is there an Internet radio function on the BDP2 similar to the VTuner that is on my Sim Audio Moon ?   Is great to be able to stream an Internet radio station some days and just listen when I'm doing work or out on the deck

The BDP interface gives you access to Shoutcast database by way of bRadio; also you can copy links to other radio station into bRadio and save them in a playlist.

davidtgoh

« Reply #1438 on: 26 Apr 2016, 03:16 am »
James - Still trying to figure out the "pop" between DSD tracks that have been extracted from an SACD iso ripped from SACD via Playstation...  I get no "pop" sound on the start up of the first track.  However, if I add only one track to the Now Playing list, there is a "pop" (fairly loud to very loud) once the track ends.  If I add more than one DSD track to the Now Playing list, there is a "pop" at the end of each track, before the next track begins.  If this issue has some similarity to the pop/click on SACD playback on HDMI that the firmware upgrade resolved for the most part, it there a chance Bryston would take a look at this phenomena.  I see the phenomena is well-documented on various audio blogs and posts, but most trace it back to the playback hardware now, not the file itself.  I'd be glad to send along a couple short tracks that I hear the "pop" sound when played back.

davidtgoh

« Reply #1439 on: 26 Apr 2016, 03:18 am »
Also, is there any chance the BPD-2 could be programmed to read SACD iso files (like J River)?