BDP-2 Digital Player

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1300 on: 6 Dec 2015, 08:18 pm »
Thanks Fernando

We are learning as we go and our thanks to the customers providing feedback.

james

me too, james.

I believe this is a general rule of good practice - whatever your profession is.

fernando.

Fernando

« Reply #1301 on: 6 Dec 2015, 08:59 pm »
Thanks Fernando

We are learning as we go and our thanks to the customers providing feedback.

james

hey ! - learning as going ... but maybe this solves nothing.

for the first time in my life with Firefox, I clicked the 'Debug Script' button, and something which seems understandable showed up.

I don't mean that I myself understand what to do from this onwards ...  :scratch:
I don't have a clue ...  :o

uploading a full-size screenshot, and a crop of the bottom window which showed after clicking Debug Script.

fernando.

Fernando

« Reply #1302 on: 8 Dec 2015, 06:29 am »

___ maybe, just *maybe*, my playlists are just too long ...  :duh: ___ the complete Frank Zappa or Miles Davis discography for example.

hi james, chris,

well, yes.
I guess it's related to playlist size ( length ) - unless you prove me I'm wrong.

my Frank Zappa playlist has 1608 songs _ :icon_twisted: .

I had set 'maximum playlist length' to 15000 songs, supposing this would allow playlists of ~2000 songs to play and avoid clogging neither the MPD nor the browser, or whatever _ :nono: .

cheers,

fernando.

Fernando

« Reply #1303 on: 8 Dec 2015, 07:13 am »

well, yes.
I guess it's related to playlist size ( length ) - unless you prove me I'm wrong.

... and no, I don't agree on what I've just read in Mozilla at Facebook !

https://www.facebook.com/Firefox/photos/np.1449521818307306.1291291885/10156293523505022/?type=3

«Do you think you all could fix the ridiculous amount of "stop script" errors that come up now with Firefox? Good grief. You are going to lose this long time use to Chrome if it doesn't stop soon.»

just because I'm *not* suffering a «ridiculous amount of "stop script" errors» ... anywhere in the web, but only when I'm saying.

believe me. seriously.

cheers,

fernando.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1304 on: 8 Dec 2015, 03:20 pm »
hi james, chris,

for a change, I'm asking why do I frequently get this warning in firefox 42.0.
music keeps on playing, but I must 'stop script' to get control over the BDP-2 again.

firmware upgraded to S2.20 2015-11-20 last friday december 4th.

what might I be doing wrong? ... or is this a BDP-2 normal behavior under certain circumstances I ignore?

thanks in advance.

fernando.

mmmmm ... think I'd better upload a crop of the warning prompt only ... it can hardly be read at a full screenshot size.

This message appears when the browser feels that javascript is taking to long to process some data.  In this case the playlist length is likely the culprit, you could try google chrome, its a bit more resilient.

Fernando

« Reply #1305 on: 8 Dec 2015, 04:21 pm »
This message appears when the browser feels that javascript is taking to long to process some data.  In this case the playlist length is likely the culprit, you could try google chrome, its a bit more resilient.

Thanks a lot for your explanation, Chris.

In fact, I have in mind that I had never installed Java in this w7 machine.

There is no Java control panel, nor any plug-in or add-on into this Firefox referring to Java (formerly, there was ... ).

But no doubt it's hidden somewhere, as the .js extension points out.

There are lots of .js scripts into Firefox folders ... I seem to remember, but had never related them to Java platform ! _  :oops:

Thank you, again.

Cheers,

fernando.

MoPac

« Reply #1306 on: 8 Dec 2015, 09:41 pm »
Fernando:
 I have the same issue with Chrome.  Don't exactly recall the exact message, but it asks me if I want to "Wait" or "Quit".  Of course I choose "Wait" and eventually MM responds.  Of course I have to keep clicking on "Wait" every time the warning pops up.  Wish I could figure out a way to eliminate that warning. 

The warning pops up when I try to use MM to save my Jazz playlist which is around 2,500 tracks long.  I add  new tracks using MPAD, but cannot save the new Jazz playlist using MPAD unless I rename it.  So MM is used to save the modified Jazz playlist.  I don't notice the hang up when I'm playing cause MPAD is being used for that purpose.  MM for me is only used to save a new or modified playlist.

By the way...That's a lotta' Zappa!

Rich

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1307 on: 8 Dec 2015, 10:18 pm »
Thanks a lot for your explanation, Chris.

In fact, I have in mind that I had never installed Java in this w7 machine.

There is no Java control panel, nor any plug-in or add-on into this Firefox referring to Java (formerly, there was ... ).

But no doubt it's hidden somewhere, as the .js extension points out.

There are lots of .js scripts into Firefox folders ... I seem to remember, but had never related them to Java platform ! _  :oops:

Thank you, again.

Cheers,

fernando.

Java and javascript are two separate things, one doesn't effect the other

Fernando

« Reply #1308 on: 8 Dec 2015, 10:38 pm »
Java and javascript are two separate things, one doesn't effect the other

yes indeed, I concluded the same.
I will study the difference as soon as I get my NAS operative.
this WDMyCloud seems to be cheating me ... it was o.k., today at 04 a.m. ...  :?
another thing to learn about.

cheers,

fernando.

Fernando

« Reply #1309 on: 8 Dec 2015, 11:03 pm »

By the way...That's a lotta' Zappa!

Rich

hi Rich,

LOL ! _ in fact, I listen to Jazz almost exclusively but I make an exception with FZ and a few others.

so Chrome offers two options only !? _ at least, I can Stop or Continue the script (both do the same = nothing), and if I knew how to do it, I might debug javascript.
when Flash issues, Continue lead to crash FFox so I used to choose Stop.

me, I prefer to group my jazz music in playlists named after its main artist.
it gets troublesome when everyone at the group is the main artist, example: Hancock, Shorter, Holland, Blade 'The Forensic Music Tour 2004'.
but I named the playlist just the same as when released: HSHBØ4.
it is a rather long one, but doesn't beat FZ playlist.

cheers,

fernando.

MoPac

« Reply #1310 on: 9 Dec 2015, 03:58 pm »
Chris:
 Just read the review of the Aurender W20.  They stole my idea to use a battery for elegant shutdown on power outage!!!  Just kidding  :lol:.  Actually they run the player off one of two banks of batteries: One powering the unit.  One charging, but the power outage shutdown is also implemented.

The problem I see with trying to use battery(ies) in the BDP would be the amount of space they might take up.  Pictures of the W20 show a large usage of space for the two banks of batteries.  Yet it may be large only cause they use the batteries to power the unit.  Don't know enough to be sure.  If this is the case then maybe batteries used for shutdown only would take up much less space???

Have you looked into using batteries to do a shutdown on power outage?

Thanks, Rich

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1311 on: 9 Dec 2015, 06:42 pm »
I'd rather have batteries in a separate component. Batteries wear out and can have other problems....

DarqueKnight

« Reply #1312 on: 10 Dec 2015, 12:16 am »
Yes we have tried everything but so far no luck - it must have something to do with the fact that the PS Audio Direct Stream upsamples all incoming files to DSD.

james

My dCS Debussy DAC upsamples all incoming files that are multiples of 44.1k to DSD64 rate (2.8224 Msamples/sec), and files that are multiples of 32k to 3.072 Msamples/sec. I don't have any issues with any of my BDP-2's outputs (USB, AES, SPDIF) working with the Debussy. I have the IAD upgrade. However, DCS says they use industry standard interfaces and the Direct Stream might be using a proprietary interface.

I have a question about clocking. Can the BDP-2/IAD be modified to accept a word clock input? My configuration consists of the BDP-2's USB output to a dCS U-Clock word clock. The U-Clock re-clocks and converts the USB data stream to SPDIF. SPDIF is output to the Debussy DAC. A BNC-BNC cable connects one of the U-Clock's word clock outputs to the Debussy DAC's word clock input.

In my system, the BDP-2/IAD's AES output is the best sounding, but the BDP-2's AES output cannot be synched to the U-Clock, and if I run an AES connection to the Debussy while the U-Clock is connected to the Debussy, I get periodic dropouts due to the timing differences between the U-Clock/Debussy pairing and the incoming data stream from the BDP-2. Of course, turning off the U-Clock makes the AES connection from the BDP-2 work fine, but this does not sound as good as the clock-synched USB output.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1313 on: 10 Dec 2015, 10:49 pm »
I believe the issue between the IAD and the PS Audio is the PS Audio doesn't like the square wave that the IAD generates.  Oddly enough hooking up a oscilloscope leads between ground and data on the IAD's output changes the square wave just enough that the PS Audio Direct Stream DAC can decode the data.  Unfortunately we were never able to make a hardware modification that produces the same result.  I believe our engineer that designs our own DAC's theorized that the PS Audio Direct Streams doesn't use PLL's between the input and the IC that ultimately that reads the signal.  That's were we currently stand

shpritz

« Reply #1314 on: 10 Dec 2015, 11:45 pm »
I have been trying Tidal and was wondering if there is a way to use the Tidal app on my iPad or MacBook to control Tidal on my BDP-2. I have no problem using the Manic Moose Tidal under applications but haven't been able to figure out how to control it using the ipad app. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ozzy

« Reply #1315 on: 11 Dec 2015, 12:05 am »
Chris,
If I install the new IAD board, but disable that board in the Audio Devices menu and just use the PS Audio usb will I still get the distortion in the HiRez music?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1316 on: 11 Dec 2015, 12:40 am »
Chris,
If I install the new IAD board, but disable that board in the Audio Devices menu and just use the PS Audio usb will I still get the distortion in the HiRez music?

If your using USB why get the IAD?  And no it'll be fine, even if you don't disable it

ozzy

« Reply #1317 on: 11 Dec 2015, 01:08 am »
I just thought adding the new IAD board would upgrade my unit to the latest. And... if I ever change Dac's I would be ready.

Chris, When I had the IAD board before I did get distortion in Hi Rez files when using the usb with the Direct Stream. But, I did not disable the board in the Audio device menu.

So please just to confirm, I will not get the distortion with the IAD board if I am using the USB with my PS Audio Direct Stream Dac?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1318 on: 11 Dec 2015, 03:05 pm »
The USB out shouldn't be effected by the IAD, if you had been experiencing static on the USB input of your PS Audio then I would say something else was wrong.

*Possibly had it on AES/EBU or BNC input mistakenly
*Bad USB Cable
*Something is wrong with the PS Audio DAC

Cheers,
Chris

ozzy

« Reply #1319 on: 11 Dec 2015, 04:19 pm »
Chris,

Actually I had both the AES and the usb connected at the same time going from the Bryston BDP-2 to the Direct Stream Dac so I could toggle between those outputs. Do you think just having the AES connected while using the usb output could have caused the distortion?