BDP-2 Digital Player

Tezza009

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1280 on: 3 Dec 2015, 01:03 pm »
Hi gritt

I am also having problems using Tidal on my Bdp-1. I have just upgraded to MM so have not used Tidal in this way before. So it might be an issue with my network or elsewhere.

In my case it is just horribly slow and generally unreliable.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1281 on: 3 Dec 2015, 03:19 pm »
Is Tidal not functioning for anyone else? I have the 11-20 update. Queue count/number never updates and I can't play anything I do get in the queue. Works fine from Sonos though. I rebooted twice, no change.

Works fine on both my BDP-1's, try a factory reset or simply delete the tidal.set file from user space (a network share called "user").

Also when your posting a firmware revision, you should post the entire value

ozzy

« Reply #1282 on: 3 Dec 2015, 05:30 pm »
Again, it is still too bad that the new IAD board won't work with the PS Audio Direct Stream Dac... :cry:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1283 on: 3 Dec 2015, 05:44 pm »
Again, it is still too bad that the new IAD board won't work with the PS Audio Direct Stream Dac... :cry:

Yes we have tried everything but so far no luck - it must have something to do with the fact that the PS Audio Direct Stream upsamples all incoming files to DSD.

james

MoPac

« Reply #1284 on: 3 Dec 2015, 10:44 pm »
James or Chris:
 Just read the Karl Schuster TAS article on the BDP-2 with the IAD.  There is a paragraph in the "Configuration and Optimization" section of the article that confuses me a bit.  A quote from Karl "...I decided to enable only one of the digital outputs of each digital player at a time, to eliminate the possibility that simultaneous operation might compromise performance.  Fortunately MPD control programs allow the user to selectively activate the different digital output options on each player."
 What does he mean here?  Is he saying unused digital outputs can be disabled from a MPD control point app?  Is this possible and if so how?

Thanks, Rich

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1285 on: 3 Dec 2015, 10:48 pm »
Works fine on both my BDP-1's, try a factory reset or simply delete the tidal.set file from user space (a network share called "user").

Also when your posting a firmware revision, you should post the entire value

Deleting the Tidal.set file seemed to have done the trick! Thanks.

BTW, firmware is S2.20 2015-11-20

- Garrett

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1286 on: 3 Dec 2015, 11:40 pm »
James or Chris:
 Just read the Karl Schuster TAS article on the BDP-2 with the IAD.  There is a paragraph in the "Configuration and Optimization" section of the article that confuses me a bit.  A quote from Karl "...I decided to enable only one of the digital outputs of each digital player at a time, to eliminate the possibility that simultaneous operation might compromise performance.  Fortunately MPD control programs allow the user to selectively activate the different digital output options on each player."
 What does he mean here?  Is he saying unused digital outputs can be disabled from a MPD control point app?  Is this possible and if so how?

Thanks, Rich

This can be performed from the audio devices page, in audio devices there will be a list of all audio output devices.  Next to each device is a button that will be labeled either disable or enable.  Clicking the button will perform that action.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1287 on: 4 Dec 2015, 11:52 pm »
Hi Folks,

Absolute Sound Review on BDP-2 with new Bryston Integrated Audio Device:

http://www.bryston.com/PDF/reviews/2015_12_Review_BDP-2_Absolute.pdf

james

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #1288 on: 5 Dec 2015, 01:18 am »
Please ignore this post.
I had misunderstood the question.

Tried first to delete my post but didn't find how to do so ... sorry, Chris.
Fernando.

This can be performed from the audio devices page, in audio devices there will be a list of all audio output devices.  Next to each device is a button that will be labeled either disable or enable.  Clicking the button will perform that action.

Fine, Chris.
My question: disabling these «does eliminate the possibility that simultaneous operation might compromise performance.» !?
Fernando.
« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2015, 02:20 am by Fernando »

ozzy

« Reply #1289 on: 5 Dec 2015, 04:17 pm »
I must say thank you for the comment on turning off the extra digital outputs.
I still have the original Juli board inside my BDP-2 due to the incompatibility with the new IAD board with the PS Audio Direct Stream.

However, I was using both the usb and the AES outputs at the same time going into my PS Audio Dac. I did this so I could totter between the outputs to see if there was a difference between the AES and the usb outputs.
Well, I really could not tell any difference in the outputs in sound quality which I thought was strange.

Until... I read the recent posting from James Tanner.
I then disconnected the AES cable and presto the sound quality got fuller.

And then... I went into the Audio device settings and clicked disable the Juli board and for some reason I also had to disable the PS usb output. (Although that output still is checked). and "whala", the sound quality took another step into the awesome category.

Again, thanks for the post.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1290 on: 5 Dec 2015, 04:22 pm »
I must say thank you for the comment on turning off the extra digital outputs.
I still have the original Juli board inside my BDP-2 due to the incompatibility with the new IAD board with the PS Audio Direct Stream.

However, I was using both the usb and the AES outputs at the same time going into my PS Audio Dac. I did this so I could totter between the outputs to see if there was a difference between the AES and the usb outputs.
Well, I really could not tell any difference in the outputs in sound quality which I thought was strange.

Until... I read the recent posting from James Tanner.
I then disconnected the AES cable and presto the sound quality got fuller.

And then... I went into the Audio device settings and clicked disable the Juli board and for some reason I also had to disable the PS usb output. (Although that output still is checked). and "whala", the sound quality took another step into the awesome category.

Again, thanks for the post.

Hi Ozzy

So is the PS now working OK with higher res files?

james

ozzy

« Reply #1291 on: 5 Dec 2015, 04:30 pm »
Yes, with the usb output and the original Juli board.
I wonder though if I again installed the IAD would I be able to use the usb output in HiRez without getting the distortion?
Or using the AES out with the PS Audio usb turned off would that eliminate the distortion?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1292 on: 5 Dec 2015, 04:43 pm »
Yes, with the usb output and the original Juli board.
I wonder though if I again installed the IAD would I be able to use the usb output in HiRez without getting the distortion?
Or using the AES out with the PS Audio usb turned off would that eliminate the distortion?

Sounds like it would be worth a try

James

ozzy

« Reply #1293 on: 5 Dec 2015, 04:55 pm »
So, can I buy the IAD board again?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1294 on: 5 Dec 2015, 06:05 pm »
So, can I buy the IAD board again?

LOL - sure !

I will see if we can get it to work on our PS.

james

ozzy

« Reply #1295 on: 5 Dec 2015, 11:57 pm »
Thanks, please let me know.

Fernando

« Reply #1296 on: 6 Dec 2015, 06:40 am »
hi james, chris,

for a change, I'm asking why do I frequently get this warning in firefox 42.0.
music keeps on playing, but I must 'stop script' to get control over the BDP-2 again.

firmware upgraded to S2.20 2015-11-20 last friday december 4th.

what might I be doing wrong? ... or is this a BDP-2 normal behavior under certain circumstances I ignore?

thanks in advance.

fernando.

mmmmm ... think I'd better upload a crop of the warning prompt only ... it can hardly be read at a full screenshot size.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1297 on: 6 Dec 2015, 11:26 am »
HI

I will let Chris answer but I think Firefox does not work as well as other browsers with MM.  I use Chrome and it works well.

james

Fernando

« Reply #1298 on: 6 Dec 2015, 05:08 pm »
HI

I will let Chris answer but I think Firefox does not work as well as other browsers with MM.  I use Chrome and it works well.

james

thank you, james.

some info for Chris:

I may install Chrome for this ad-hoc purpose, but I've been faithful to Firefox (Netscape Communicator) since using MacOs 7 Classic.

other hardware that may be implied is a brand-new TP-Link N750 Wireless DB Gigabit TL-WDR 4300 which I've been using in wired mode only (so far), and a brand-new Cat5e _ 7,5m. Intellinet Networking Cable for the intranet set-up.

I'm planning to install a (brand new, again) WD 3TB MyCloud for NAS storage.

then, for wireless, (brand new, yes again!) a laptop Asus X555L i5 8Gb ram - which is not yet operative.

current computer which is running Firefox 42.0 is a desktop tower featuring an AsusTeK© P-67-Sabertooth motherboard, i7-2600 CPU @ 3,40GHz, 8.00GB installed RAM, 1TB WD Black internal storage, Windows 7 Ultimate (64Bit).

really I'd like to know what's happening before NAS setup ...

___ maybe, just *maybe*, my playlists are just too long ...  :duh: ___ the complete Frank Zappa or Miles Davis discography for example.

Firefox 42 has only a few add-ons (Extensions) installed, and since long ago didn't prompt this type warning, surely since Flash issues were solved.
not ever since then ... but if everything points out to Add-Ons issues, I would uninstall some of them without regrets ... :cry:

thank you,

fernando.
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2015, 06:59 pm by Fernando »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1299 on: 6 Dec 2015, 07:41 pm »
Thanks Fernando

We are learning as we go and our thanks to the customers providing feedback.

james