BDP-2 Digital Player

Norton

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1260 on: 27 Nov 2015, 01:46 pm »
DSD seems like a giant pain in the butt.

Doesn't  seem that way to me.  Had my BDP2 for a year, never had any problems playing DSD 64/128 to either of my DSD capable DACs.

I think the discussion of DoP vs "native" DSD is over complicating things for the majority.
As far as I am aware, most common DSD-capable DACS accept DoP, so in case of doubt it's just a case of checking literature or dealer for DoP compatibility  before buying for use with BDP.  If it's a DSD Capable DAC and literature states that no additional driver is required for MAC or Linux then likely it's fine with BDP.

ozzy

« Reply #1261 on: 27 Nov 2015, 07:15 pm »
James Tanner, Chris Rice or anyone who can help at Bryston.

Has Bryston fixed the terrible distortion problem that occurs when using the PS Audio Direct Stream (in HiRez 24-192) with the new IAD board for the Bryston BDP-2 ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1262 on: 27 Nov 2015, 07:46 pm »
James Tanner, Chris Rice or anyone who can help at Bryston.

Has Bryston fixed the terrible distortion problem that occurs when using the PS Audio Direct Stream (in HiRez 24-192) with the new IAD board for the Bryston BDP-2 ?

HI

No we have tried a number of different things but so far there is an incompatibility between the two.

james

« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2015, 08:53 pm by James Tanner »

ozzy

« Reply #1263 on: 27 Nov 2015, 08:37 pm »
Too bad, but thanks for the reply. Keep working on it, ok?

DarqueKnight

« Reply #1264 on: 28 Nov 2015, 12:11 am »

My solution was to sell my DS DAC. :icon_twisted:

HI

No we have tried a number of different things but so far there is an incompatibility between the two.

James, my BDP-2s would be perfect if I could insert a 2 second gap between songs. My DAC sometimes mutes the first couple seconds of the next song if it is a different sampling rate. I would think a gap option would be simple to implement in software. Software players like JRiver allow you to do this.

Even better would be if the BDP-2 could read all the songs in a playlist and then presample them to find out the various sampling rates, and then insert an appropriate gap when required.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1265 on: 28 Nov 2015, 01:24 pm »
My solution was to sell my DS DAC. :icon_twisted:

James, my BDP-2s would be perfect if I could insert a 2 second gap between songs. My DAC sometimes mutes the first couple seconds of the next song if it is a different sampling rate. I would think a gap option would be simple to implement in software. Software players like JRiver allow you to do this.

Even better would be if the BDP-2 could read all the songs in a playlist and then presample them to find out the various sampling rates, and then insert an appropriate gap when required.

Not sure if that is possible but I will ask Chris to comment - what DAC are you using?  I do not have that issue with our BDA2 or BDA3.

james

Ned F. Kuehn

« Reply #1266 on: 28 Nov 2015, 03:29 pm »
Not sure if that is possible but I will ask Chris to comment - what DAC are you using?  I do not have that issue with our BDA2 or BDA3.

james

I have this same problem since upgrading my BDP-2 with the Bryston IAD. This has been a problem primarily with 192 and to a lesser degree with 176.4 rate files. I currently use AES-XLR out from the BDP-2 to AES-XLR in to the DAC's to the Bryston SP-3 2 channel bypass, but this issue also appears with SPDIF out/in. The DAC's I have routinely encountered this in my system include the Classe SSP-800, Bryston SP-3, AURALAC Vega, and Berkeley Alpha DAC Reference. The worst was the SSP-800 where switching from a lower sampling rate file to 176.4 or 192 rate files (or jumping from one track to another within a 176.4 or 192 file) would occasionally freeze the SSP-800 requiring a complete shut down and reboot of the processor (I sold the SSP-800 and replaced it with the Bryston SP-3 due to this behavior). The Berkeley Alpha DAC Reference has a light indicating a lock on the signal, and it takes about 1-2 seconds to show a lock on the signal when flipping from lower resolution to high resolution files or jumping between tracks on high resolution files. This was not something I encountered with the original Julia card. As much as I like the BDP-2 with the Bryston IAD, this behavior is a bit annoying.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1267 on: 28 Nov 2015, 04:18 pm »
I have this same problem since upgrading my BDP-2 with the Bryston IAD. This has been a problem primarily with 192 and to a lesser degree with 176.4 rate files. I currently use AES-XLR out from the BDP-2 to AES-XLR in to the DAC's to the Bryston SP-3 2 channel bypass, but this issue also appears with SPDIF out/in. The DAC's I have routinely encountered this in my system include the Classe SSP-800, Bryston SP-3, AURALAC Vega, and Berkeley Alpha DAC Reference. The worst was the SSP-800 where switching from a lower sampling rate file to 176.4 or 192 rate files (or jumping from one track to another within a 176.4 or 192 file) would occasionally freeze the SSP-800 requiring a complete shut down and reboot of the processor (I sold the SSP-800 and replaced it with the Bryston SP-3 due to this behavior). The Berkeley Alpha DAC Reference has a light indicating a lock on the signal, and it takes about 1-2 seconds to show a lock on the signal when flipping from lower resolution to high resolution files or jumping between tracks on high resolution files. This was not something I encountered with the original Julia card. As much as I like the BDP-2 with the Bryston IAD, this behavior is a bit annoying.

Yes I guess there must be some differences with the IAD card vs the typical sound card.  Fortunately it does not seem to be an issue with the BDA2 or BDA3. We will continue to look at it to see if we can sort it out.

james

DarqueKnight

« Reply #1268 on: 28 Nov 2015, 04:50 pm »

james

Current DAC is dCS Debussy. I experience the problem with the original BDP-2 Juli@ card and with the IAD card. However, it problem is less severe with the IAD card. I have also experienced the problem with my Cary Audio DMC-600SE DAC.

I did not experience the problem with the DAC stage of my Cary Audio CD 306 Pro Version SACD player, nor with my Cary Audio DAC-100 which is used with my other BDP-2 in my office system.

The least offender is the Debussy. The CD306 PV is an older model (2008) whereas the DMC-600SE and DAC-100 are 2015 models. Therefore I was surprised that the newer, top-of-the-line Cary DAC would have this issue while the older CD306PV and lower line DAC-100 does not.

My experiences have been similar to yours, with the exception that the IAD significantly lessened the degree of the problem. Sometimes, with the Cary DMC-600SE, when going from a 44.1k file to a 192k file, a lock could not be achieved and loud static would come from the speakers. If I stopped playback and restarted the 192k file, it would play normally.

The workaround  I have been using is, when I know the next file is going to be a different rate, I pause playback for a couple of seconds as soon as the BDP-2 switches to the next song. This gives the BDP-2 time to "get itself together" for the different rate.

Most of my music files are 44.1k PCM and DSD64 and most of my playlists are music with the same sampling rate. I do have a few playlists with songs with different PCM rates as well as some playlists with songs with different rates of PCM and some DSD64 songs.
« Last Edit: 2 Dec 2015, 09:25 pm by DarqueKnight »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1269 on: 1 Dec 2015, 07:55 pm »
Bryston BDP-2 with new Integrated Device Reviewed

Great review in the new issue of TAS just out today.

Well done Bryston!

Bavarian

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #1270 on: 2 Dec 2015, 01:48 am »
Bryston BDP-2 with new Integrated Device Reviewed

Great review in the new issue of TAS just out today.

Well done Bryston!

Bavarian

Hi James,
Is the aforementioned review published in TAS website?
Cannot find it there.
Perhaps printed only, I don't know.
Cheers,
Fernando.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1271 on: 2 Dec 2015, 02:46 am »
Hi James,
Is the aforementioned review published in TAS website?
Cannot find it there.
Perhaps printed only, I don't know.
Cheers,
Fernando.

No as far as I know it is not available except in the Magazine.  I am trying to get a PDF of it.

james

Fernando

« Reply #1272 on: 2 Dec 2015, 03:37 am »
No as far as I know it is not available except in the Magazine.  I am trying to get a PDF of it.

james

Thank you.
TAS magazine does not reach my neighbourhood ... .
Fernando.

Phil A

« Reply #1273 on: 2 Dec 2015, 03:42 am »
I did not see it on the website.  Hopefully someone will get it to James so he can share it.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1274 on: 2 Dec 2015, 04:07 pm »
Here' a teaser from the review:

"As someone who has been generally disappointed with USB Audio—not due to dogmatic bias, but because most such products that I've auditioned have failed to deliver the performance that I routinely achieve with SPDIF sources—I was thrilled (and, frankly, relieved) to hear the USB-derived SPDIF and AES/EBU outputs of the BDP-2's Integrated Audio Device deliver across-the-board improvements above and beyond the performance of its predecessor's customized ESI Juli@ PCI audio interface.

At last, here was "proof of principle" evidence that the USB interface could function as an audio conduit of the highest caliber."

Samurai7595

« Reply #1275 on: 2 Dec 2015, 06:26 pm »
Here' a teaser from the review:

"As someone who has been generally disappointed with USB Audio—not due to dogmatic bias, but because most such products that I've auditioned have failed to deliver the performance that I routinely achieve with SPDIF sources—I was thrilled (and, frankly, relieved) to hear the USB-derived SPDIF and AES/EBU outputs of the BDP-2's Integrated Audio Device deliver across-the-board improvements above and beyond the performance of its predecessor's customized ESI Juli@ PCI audio interface.

At last, here was "proof of principle" evidence that the USB interface could function as an audio conduit of the highest caliber."

Hi James,

I'm a little confused...  :?

The upgraded IAD audio card only includes the SPDIF and AES/EBU output ports (as per the pic below).  How does the IAD improve/affect USB output sound?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1276 on: 2 Dec 2015, 06:31 pm »
I think he had not really tried the USB before and was surprised at the quality he was getting.

james

Fernando

« Reply #1277 on: 2 Dec 2015, 06:40 pm »
I think he had not really tried the USB before and was surprised at the quality he was getting.

james

now I understand why you called this one a «teaser» ...  :icon_lol:
fernando.

plurn

« Reply #1278 on: 3 Dec 2015, 05:01 am »
Hi James,

I'm a little confused...  :?

The upgraded IAD audio card only includes the SPDIF and AES/EBU output ports (as per the pic below).  How does the IAD improve/affect USB output sound?

The BDP-2's new Integrated Audio Device is a USB device - though that might not be clear to all since it does not use the usual USB connector we are familiar with. It connects to the BDP-2 motherboard via a USB header on the motherboard.

So when the review says "At last, here was "proof of principle" evidence that the USB interface could function as an audio conduit of the highest caliber.", the USB device he would be talking about would be the new Integrated Audio Device in the BDP-2.

Anthony

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1279 on: 3 Dec 2015, 07:17 am »
Is Tidal not functioning for anyone else? I have the 11-20 update. Queue count/number never updates and I can't play anything I do get in the queue. Works fine from Sonos though. I rebooted twice, no change.