BDP-2 Digital Player

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1200 on: 12 Sep 2015, 12:00 am »
I'm not sure if you've downloaded the new firmware or you just havn't restarted your BDP since last night as i did edit the files manually last night.  If you havn't updated to today build a restart will wipe out the change i made last night

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1201 on: 12 Sep 2015, 12:12 am »
I'm not sure if you've downloaded the new firmware or you just havn't restarted your BDP since last night as i did edit the files manually last night.  If you havn't updated to today build a restart will wipe out the change i made last night

I just updated to the beta firmware, after seeing your message, and the unit had not been powered down since last night.

One quirk, it seems I can't output AES/EBU and USB at the same time.  Trying again.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1202 on: 12 Sep 2015, 01:09 am »
I just updated to the beta firmware, after seeing your message, and the unit had not been powered down since last night.

One quirk, it seems I can't output AES/EBU and USB at the same time.  Trying again.

just to clarify this is how we intended it, one or the other

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1203 on: 12 Sep 2015, 01:10 am »
just to clarify this is how we intended it, one or the other

I figured. No worries at all. A simple restart when switching from one DAC to another is not a deal killer :).

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1204 on: 13 Sep 2015, 08:58 pm »
Quick question:

Can anyone give me the Cliff Notes version on how to make a USB drive attached to the BDP-2 appear on
the network?

I have enabled SMB sharing, but the attached thumb drive is not visible on a remote computer, just "upnp", and "USER", when I connect to the player.

The intention is to leave the drive attached and have the ability to load music on it via the network.

Thanks in advance!

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1205 on: 13 Sep 2015, 10:32 pm »
Ignore post above..a simple reboot made the drive available on the network.

Guys, the BDP-2 is the best kept secret in high end audio.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1206 on: 13 Sep 2015, 11:16 pm »
Quick question:

Can anyone give me the Cliff Notes version on how to make a USB drive attached to the BDP-2 appear on
the network?

I have enabled SMB sharing, but the attached thumb drive is not visible on a remote computer, just "upnp", and "USER", when I connect to the player.

The intention is to leave the drive attached and have the ability to load music on it via the network.

Thanks in advance!

If you stop and then start samba from the services page each time it starts it generates a share for each drive

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1207 on: 13 Sep 2015, 11:34 pm »
"Guys, the BDP-2 is the best kept secret in high end audio."

Hi

Thank you for this comment - most people think a computer is a computer and bits are bits but the difference when you use a product dedicated to do nothing except play digital music files as well as possible the performance difference is HUGE!!!

james

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1208 on: 13 Sep 2015, 11:41 pm »
If you stop and then start samba from the services page each time it starts it generates a share for each drive

Thanks. I'm learning quick!   8)

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1209 on: 13 Sep 2015, 11:48 pm »
"Guys, the BDP-2 is the best kept secret in high end audio."

Hi

Thank you for this comment - most people think a computer is a computer and bits are bits but the difference when you use a product dedicated to do nothing except play digital music files as well as possible the performance difference is HUGE!!!

james

The difference is ABSOLUTELY huge. A component that is purpose built to render audio, especially by an engineering driven company, simply cannot be matched by laptop or desktop computer. Folks using traditional computers are constantly chasing their tails trying to get them to sound good. The amount of noise and other garbage inside a multipurpose computer, even a really good one like a Mac Book Pro, which I am typing this on, is astounding. 

The fact that a simple Vbus filter like the Audioquest Jitterbug reportedly improves the sound (see Stereophile review) is proof positive what a compromised environment these devices are.

It is amazing to me that simple firmware updates can add more features to the BDP series, at no additional cost to the owner.

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1210 on: 14 Sep 2015, 12:48 am »
Has anyone who connects drives with Mini USB inputs tried either Audioquest or Kimber "audiophile grade" USB Mini cables? I believe they two companies the only two who make them.

Edit: it looks like WireWorld and Supra also make them.

Samurai7595

« Reply #1211 on: 14 Sep 2015, 05:34 pm »
Is there a maximum size limit (capacity) for an internal Solid State Drive (SSD) that is supported by the BDP-2 software/firmware?

Also, are there any other "limitations" (or important things to know) when purchasing an SSD that will be installed inside a BDP-2?

Last, how easy is it to copy FLAC music files to the internal SSD of a BDP-2 and can they be copied from a locally attached USB memory stick or hard drive?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1212 on: 14 Sep 2015, 10:49 pm »
Is there a maximum size limit (capacity) for an internal Solid State Drive (SSD) that is supported by the BDP-2 software/firmware?

Also, are there any other "limitations" (or important things to know) when purchasing an SSD that will be installed inside a BDP-2?

Last, how easy is it to copy FLAC music files to the internal SSD of a BDP-2 and can they be copied from a locally attached USB memory stick or hard drive?

No limitations beyond the mounting is designed for 2.5" drives, not 3.5" drives.  I havn't tested an ssd rated at more then 1.4Amps.

Currently we only support copying files to internal storage over the network.  It shouldn't be to terribly difficult of a task once you become accustom to the process.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1213 on: 16 Sep 2015, 07:45 am »
Currently we use 133x 8GB cf card, this card replaced a 133x 4GB cf card as the price difference was a few pennies and figured why the hell not.  The cf cards are connected to the system by way of a PATA bus which happens to have the same base speed of cf cards, meaning the cf cards are already as fast as the interface will allow.  This was confirmed years ago benchmarking a cf card rated 266x and 600x, boot up time was identical to the stock 133x cards.

Thanks Chris!

Pearlcfam

« Reply #1214 on: 16 Sep 2015, 03:03 pm »
Just wondering if someday it would be possible to login directly to XM internet radio (as long as your a subscriber) through the BDP. I know I can 'push' the stream (not sure of the correct terminology) from my iphone to the BDP but quality wise I am assuming logging in and streaming directly from the BDP box would be much better.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1215 on: 16 Sep 2015, 10:59 pm »
Just wondering if someday it would be possible to login directly to XM internet radio (as long as your a subscriber) through the BDP. I know I can 'push' the stream (not sure of the correct terminology) from my iphone to the BDP but quality wise I am assuming logging in and streaming directly from the BDP box would be much better.

That would depend on whether or not they lower the quality when you do that.  We havn't had all lot of request for xm, if we do develop for another streaming service beyond bRadio and Tidal it will likley be spotify.

Currently it seems to be the most asked for, along with pandora and deezer.  We have already registered a dev key with spotify and compiled one of the demo programs called jukebox.  It can be found in the manicmoose firmware under /3rd somewhere.

Pearlcfam

« Reply #1216 on: 17 Sep 2015, 12:13 am »
Thanks for the post. I will check out Tidal. I read that Tidal will stream the MQA format, Maybe Bryston will eventually have its own 'AppStore' where people can purchase plugins such as an MQA module this way we can take advantage of advancements and not have Bryston bear the cost for licensing fees.

ozzy

« Reply #1217 on: 18 Sep 2015, 05:42 pm »
Has anyone successfully used the new IAD board in the Bryston BDP-2 connected via a XLR or Coax to a PS Audio Direct Stream Dac?
I have now tried two 2 separate IAD boards, and when playing Hi Rez (at 24/192 PCM) I am getting severe distortion.
Ozzy

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1218 on: 18 Sep 2015, 05:44 pm »
Has anyone successfully used the new IAD board in the Bryston BDP-2 connected via a XLR or Coax to a PS Audio Direct Stream Dac?
I have now tried two 2 separate IAD boards, and when playing Hi Rez (at 24/192 PCM) I am getting severe distortion.
Ozzy

Hi Ozzy

I will ask Chris as we have a PS here - it may have something to do with the PS up-sampling everything to a very hi frequency on the input?

james

ozzy

« Reply #1219 on: 18 Sep 2015, 06:07 pm »
Thanks, I have talked to Chris and Mike.
The firmware used in the PS Audio Direct Stream is the latest version "Yale Final", just in case that matters.
ozzy