BDP-2 Digital Player

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1080 on: 24 Jun 2015, 12:34 am »
It's not like we live in a world with only 16 colours, but yes due to the natural colour of the light emitted from the display through the blue colour filter, you get more of an aqua colour.  You can adjust the brightness of the display, more info can be found with the manual included wth your unit.

Cheers
Chris

R. Daneel

« Reply #1081 on: 24 Jun 2015, 05:18 am »
I think it is the nicest display I have ever seen on any piece of equpment. The way the display is embedded into the aluminium dress panel... Just beautiful.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1082 on: 24 Jun 2015, 05:41 am »
I was just excited that Bryston introduced blue! Green LEDs wasn't going to keep me from wanting Bryston equipment... but oh, those blue LEDs and displays!  :thumb:

Rod_S

« Reply #1083 on: 24 Jun 2015, 11:05 am »
Yeah green sucks, well doesn't suck :) but it's been around for so long blue was like a breath of fresh air :D

As for the display in general I wouldn't go so far as to classify it as the best display ever, these old school 2 line LCD displays look odd in a world where equipment now comes with true LCD and OLED displays built in, some with touch navigation thus you are not limited on what you can display as there is plenty of room. Not that I would spend much time looking at the displays but that would be my preference hands down as you could see the album art, etc. right on the player itself. The Dan D'Agostino MLife for example is very nice.

R. Daneel

« Reply #1084 on: 24 Jun 2015, 11:49 am »
Yes but historically, Bryston's amps used green indicators so there's satisfaction in that too.

Rod_S

« Reply #1085 on: 24 Jun 2015, 05:20 pm »
I guess I can't get concerned seeing as of all the music I'm potentially looking at purchasing, only a couple albums are offered in DSD and they are DSD64 but they are also offered in PCM so I would probably just get the PCM versions. My bigger concern is going to be what happens when I try and feed a 192/24 file into my SSP via the AES/EBU because the SSP only runs at 96/24 internally (digitally). It has 192/24 DACS though. I'm hoping the files are just rendered to 96/24 but I'm a bit fearful that I'll get either absolutely no sound or complete noise.

I understand what your concern is.  I rotate stuff between systems and even though I don't use real speakers on the computer much (just the internal ones in the monitor) when I hooked up my 13-14 year old Sony ES rec'r to my M-Audio 192 Sound Card I got no sound and then realized the DACs in the rec'r are probably only 48kHz so it is now hooked up via analog.  You can always try one file or look into this - http://samplerateconverter.com/   There is a free version.  I was going to consider using it in a secondary system with the Squeezebox Touch but decided to sell it instead and get a music server.

Thanks for the suggestion, trying one 192/24 file would indeed tell me if they are going to work. Keeps me from buying the entire album only to find out I can't listen to it plus be out $20-$30.

There are even places for free downloads such as - http://www.linnrecords.com/linn-downloads-testfiles.aspx

Cool, thanks

Last night I downloaded the 192/24 sample file from Linn records and ran it through the system. The Lexicon didn't recognize it thus didn't output any sound.

So thanks Phil, this test was very helpful and saves me money by not buying any 192/24 songs so long as I have the Lex or until I get an external DAC  :thumb:

Krutsch

« Reply #1086 on: 26 Jun 2015, 01:25 am »
it's MUCH easier for your eyes to focus on green (or red) than blue LEDs in low-light conditions (like your listening room). I can't recall the biology off the top of my head, but this is well understood.

Green is an excellent choice for the BDP display panel, for that reason alone.

Rod_S

« Reply #1087 on: 26 Jun 2015, 11:52 am »
Yeah blue is definitely hard to make out at a distance, no doubt about that.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1088 on: 27 Jun 2015, 09:57 am »
Red light is considered best for night/dark viewing. It interferes the least with night vision and is used frequently by military and law enforcement for that reason. And, at the other end of the spectrum, blue is indeed worse for that.

I still prefer the appearance of the blue lights/displays though. :)

- Garrett

Rod_S

« Reply #1089 on: 27 Jun 2015, 10:36 pm »
I loaded a 5.1 test file and it was properly recognized as 6 channels via the Bryston app. Can multichannel files be sent out of the BDP-2 somehow or is it limited to stereo output only?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1090 on: 28 Jun 2015, 02:47 pm »
I've never tested it, but a USB dac supporting 6 channels should do it.

Rod_S

« Reply #1091 on: 28 Jun 2015, 03:55 pm »
Ah ok, so in theory it's possible.

lycia

« Reply #1092 on: 28 Jun 2015, 10:11 pm »
I've never tested it, but a USB dac supporting 6 channels should do it.

It would be very interesting if someone could confirm this in practice!

MoPac

« Reply #1093 on: 30 Jun 2015, 12:41 am »
  BDP-2  S2.16 2015-06-19  Transparent Audio PowerIsolater 4 Power Conditioner
Anybody:
 Was away this morning and when I returned to listen to some tunes the BDP was unresponsive.  The power light was blue, but the display was off ( I always turn it off ).  Decided to power down and power back up.  When I pressed the button to power down the light turned red immediately without the normal "Shutdown" process.  Pressing the button again did nothing.  Had to unplug to get the BDP to reboot. 
 I believe this was due to a very short power outage which we get here on occasion.  As I remember this happened last time a power outage happened, but it was so long ago I'm not sure if the recovery process was the same.
 Has anyone experienced this same phenomenon?  If so is there something shown on the display indicating a break in the power?  Is there another way to recover short of unplugging? :scratch:

Thanks, Rich   

ttsto

« Reply #1094 on: 30 Jun 2015, 05:24 am »
Same experience, after a short power outage (off / on in less then a second) BDP becomes unresponsive. Solution is to unplug power cord and plug it again. Not sure if this is a fault...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1095 on: 30 Jun 2015, 09:48 am »
Same experience, after a short power outage (off / on in less then a second) BDP becomes unresponsive. Solution is to unplug power cord and plug it again. Not sure if this is a fault...

Hi Folks

I have experienced the same - not sure why but it needs to have the power cord unplugged and replugged - maybe Chris knows why?

james

afblaster

« Reply #1096 on: 30 Jun 2015, 10:12 am »
Can you say when the new integrated audio device will be available in the UK?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1097 on: 30 Jun 2015, 10:37 am »
Can you say when the new integrated audio device will be available in the UK?

Hi

It is available now.

James

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #1098 on: 3 Jul 2015, 02:09 pm »

It would be very interesting if someone could confirm this in practice!

I tested the BDP-2 with an SP3 using the USB and AES/EBU outputs.  The test files were 5.1 channel 96/24.

With both connections, the BDP-2 correctly showed the files as "Sample: 96000:24:6."  However, the SP3 only played the front R and L channels (i.e., the surround 3.1 channels were lost, not mixed into stereo).  Using the Bal1 input (AES/EBU) the SP3 shows "In: PCM 96k 2/0.0."  The USB input shows "In: PCM."

I do not have a BNC/RAC cable.  Therefore, I was not able to test the SPDIF (RCA) connection to see if it would receive a 5.1 or 2.0 signal from the BDP-2. 

I have about a dozen 5.1 tracks from a DVDA disk.  I ripped the disk to 96/24/5.1 flac.  I have two solutions to listen to the tracks. 
  • I play them through an OPPO BDP-93 using HDMI into the SP3.  The SP3 DAC then down mixes to stereo, because I only have a two channel setup.
  • I used foobar2000 to down mix from 5.1 to 2.0 and save as flac.  I can then play the 96/24/2.0 files through the BDP-2.
Candidly, the audio quality between the two solutions is pretty much identical (i.e., if I had to do a blind test, I doubt I could tell you which was which).  That makes sense, because the down mix should be bit perfect and identical, assuming that one setups up the initial rip and down mix correctly on their computer.

My preference is #2, because I have all my music in one place, on the BDP-2, versus switching to the OPPO to listen to a couple songs.

I hope you found this post of use and interest.

lycia

« Reply #1099 on: 3 Jul 2015, 09:16 pm »
Could this result have something to do with the limitations of the SP3? Chris suggested using a 6 channel DAC.