« Reply #1020 on: 10 Jun 2015, 03:24 pm »

Rod_S

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1021 on: 10 Jun 2015, 04:50 pm »
Thanks

Norton

« Reply #1022 on: 10 Jun 2015, 06:08 pm »
There aren't many DACs that can do DSD by other than USB or i2S.  I've seen a few claims but am a bit skeptical.  Would be nice though.

The Chord Hugo accepts DSD (DoP) via SPDIF.  I know because my current BDP2 does pass a DSD stream from its BNC output, but only when used as a renderer ( which is odd).

Incidentally how do you order the upgraded card?  I enquired via the email address quoted  by JT above but have had no reply so far ( which is unusual for Bryston)

Phil A

« Reply #1023 on: 10 Jun 2015, 06:30 pm »
The Chord Hugo accepts DSD (DoP) via SPDIF.  I know because my current BDP2 does pass a DSD stream from its BNC output, but only when used as a renderer ( which is odd).

Thanks - I see that here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgVhKcl_3lHfdFVyenBBNjNpQ2lieG81WGpqQTNfVUE#gid=0

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1024 on: 10 Jun 2015, 06:34 pm »

Incidentally how do you order the upgraded card?  I enquired via the email address quoted  by JT above but have had no reply so far ( which is unusual for Bryston)

Hi Norton

You can order through Mike Pickett at Bryston - mpickett@bryston.com

Copy me as well and I will look into it.  jamestanner@bryston.com

Rod_S

« Reply #1025 on: 10 Jun 2015, 09:50 pm »
When the BDP-2 outputs DSD over AES/EBU (i.e. DoP) what is the PCM resolution output and does it vary based on the DSD file?

Phil A

« Reply #1026 on: 11 Jun 2015, 12:19 am »
This is how DoP works - http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue60/dsd_usb.htm

If something is doing DoP, one us getting DSD.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1027 on: 11 Jun 2015, 12:27 am »

Just to be clear, your certain the DSD file isn't being transcoded on the fly to Highres pcm?

Rod_S

« Reply #1028 on: 11 Jun 2015, 12:12 pm »
This is how DoP works - http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue60/dsd_usb.htm

If something is doing DoP, one us getting DSD.

So if I'm reading the info at that link correctly, AES/EBU, S/PDIF (RCA, BNC, toslink) would only truly support DSD64 because once you go up one to DSD128 those cables can't support 352.8kHz thus it becomes a compromise? Or is the fact it uses 2 channels for DSD 128 means it somehow delivers 352.8kHz?

Phil A

« Reply #1029 on: 11 Jun 2015, 12:25 pm »
So if I'm reading the info at that link correctly, AES/EBU, S/PDIF (RCA, BNC, toslink) would only truly support DSD64 because once you go up one to DSD128 those cables can't support 352.8kHz thus it becomes a compromise? Or is the fact it uses 2 channels for DSD 128 means it somehow delivers 352.8kHz?

I'd guess that is the case if more than 192khz cannot be passed.  Not sure it is the cable itself per this - http://www.jensign.com/SPDIFLink/  but may be related to the transmission scheme.  I've never tried it as my music servers just have USB.  I've passed 192kHz via and HDMI Audio De-embedder from an Oppo player (still have one hooked up on a secondary system if someone wants to hear a disc that way). 

Rod_S

« Reply #1030 on: 11 Jun 2015, 12:39 pm »
I guess I can't get concerned seeing as of all the music I'm potentially looking at purchasing, only a couple albums are offered in DSD and they are DSD64 but they are also offered in PCM so I would probably just get the PCM versions. My bigger concern is going to be what happens when I try and feed a 192/24 file into my SSP via the AES/EBU because the SSP only runs at 96/24 internally (digitally). It has 192/24 DACS though. I'm hoping the files are just rendered to 96/24 but I'm a bit fearful that I'll get either absolutely no sound or complete noise.

Phil A

« Reply #1031 on: 11 Jun 2015, 01:11 pm »
I understand what your concern is.  I rotate stuff between systems and even though I don't use real speakers on the computer much (just the internal ones in the monitor) when I hooked up my 13-14 year old Sony ES rec'r to my M-Audio 192 Sound Card I got no sound and then realized the DACs in the rec'r are probably only 48kHz so it is now hooked up via analog.  You can always try one file or look into this - http://samplerateconverter.com/   There is a free version.  I was going to consider using it in a secondary system with the Squeezebox Touch but decided to sell it instead and get a music server.

Rod_S

« Reply #1032 on: 11 Jun 2015, 01:46 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion, trying one 192/24 file would indeed tell me if they are going to work. Keeps me from buying the entire album only to find out I can't listen to it plus be out $20-$30.

Rod_S

« Reply #1033 on: 11 Jun 2015, 04:02 pm »
A bit off topic but related in a way to all digital music players, particularly those that play high res files.

I was just browsing HDTracks so see what all albums I'll download in high res, excited to be able to hear many familiar bands in high res for the 1st time but to my surprise many are stamped with:

"This product is not currently available due to region restrictions."

WTF

For an industry that has been whining and crying for years saying they are losing money hand over fist due to people "stealing" music via the Internet here I am, a willing, paying customer, basically saying please, take my money, I'll gladly pay for high res music and will knowingly pay a premium for it and I get basically we don't want your money, it's not good enough for us response. What an F'ed up industry. Don't you think they should be going out of their way to see that EVERYONE has access to this music so they can sell as much as possible?

This just blows my mind, I'm very disappointed.

I see that Acoustic Sounds has the same type of restrictions on the same albums. There is even a "Canada" section there. How sad. We can't even get Rush albums and Rush is a Canadian band. Apparently with a US record contract.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1034 on: 11 Jun 2015, 05:32 pm »
A bit off topic but related in a way to all digital music players, particularly those that play high res files.

I was just browsing HDTracks so see what all albums I'll download in high res, excited to be able to hear many familiar bands in high res for the 1st time but to my surprise many are stamped with:

WTF

For an industry that has been whining and crying for years saying they are losing money hand over fist due to people "stealing" music via the Internet here I am, a willing, paying customer, basically saying please, take my money, I'll gladly pay for high res music and will knowingly pay a premium for it and I get basically we don't want your money, it's not good enough for us response. What an F'ed up industry. Don't you think they should be going out of their way to see that EVERYONE has access to this music so they can sell as much as possible?

I see that Acoustic Sounds has the same type of restrictions on the same albums. There is even a "Canada" section there. How sad. We can't even get Rush albums and Rush is a Canadian band. Apparently with a US record contract.

You can't really hold HDTracks responsible though, its the record labels that won't let them sell to those residing outside of the US

Norton

« Reply #1035 on: 11 Jun 2015, 06:08 pm »
Just to be clear, your certain the DSD file isn't being transcoded on the fly to Highres pcm?

Absolutely.  Using Jriver as the DLNA server and BDP2 as the renderer and playing a .dff file, the Hugo's input indicator  lights correctly to show DSD, not PCM input.  The Hugo spec shows it accepts DoP over Spdif. The reason in I know this is that with earlier versions of MM there was no way to direct BDP output  via USB in renderer mode, but when selecting the Hugo's SPDif input,  voila as above.  With latest version of MM renderer now defaults to USB if detected at startup, but if I fool it by having the Hugo turned off initially when launching the BDP, I can still get DOP over Spdif.  I have never got DoP over SPDif when using the BDP as a standalone player though.

Phil A

« Reply #1036 on: 11 Jun 2015, 06:16 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion, trying one 192/24 file would indeed tell me if they are going to work. Keeps me from buying the entire album only to find out I can't listen to it plus be out $20-$30.

There are even places for free downloads such as - http://www.linnrecords.com/linn-downloads-testfiles.aspx

Phil A

« Reply #1037 on: 11 Jun 2015, 06:19 pm »

WTF

Yes the record companies that are responsible.  To me it is silly.  I could pay someone to buy it where it can be purchased and make a copy and what is that accomplishing that helps them?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1038 on: 11 Jun 2015, 07:02 pm »
Hi James,

My dealer should have put an order in last Tuesday, the 2nd for my BDP-2, do you think there is any chance at all they would have it by this Monday, the 15th?

Thanks,

Rod

Hi Rod

Your BDP is leaving next week.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #1039 on: 11 Jun 2015, 07:02 pm »
You can't really hold HDTracks responsible though, its the record labels that won't let them sell to those residing outside of the US

Indeed, I didn't mean to imply it was HDTracks', or Acoustic Sounds' fault, I know it's the labels.