James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #800 on: 12 Oct 2014, 11:21 am »
I cant seem to upgrade firmware.

Hi

Email Gary Dayton at Bryston - he is at the RMAF Show so it may be Monday.

gdayton@bryston.com

james

Xinon

« Reply #801 on: 12 Oct 2014, 11:59 am »
Is it possible to convert back to basic Bdp firmware with only playback from USB, like it was in the good old days ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #802 on: 12 Oct 2014, 12:05 pm »
Is it possible to convert back to basic Bdp firmware with only playback from USB, like it was in the good old days ?

I think so and Gary will know how.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #803 on: 15 Oct 2014, 04:29 am »
I cant seem to upgrade firmware.

Which firmware is currently installed

honkyturn

« Reply #804 on: 16 Oct 2014, 03:47 pm »
I got the same message as xinon above.  running S2.05 2014-08-18
it worked on re-try (after reboot), same S2.05 2014-08-18 showing.

Ola_S

« Reply #805 on: 12 Dec 2014, 03:55 pm »
Hi all!
I have an BDP-2/BDA-2 combination since a couple of months combined with a BP-25 preamp and my 28B-SST power amplifiers. I have tried to update the firmware on the BDP-2 but got the same result as Xinon (md5 values different). But it has become worse, since a week or so my BDP-2 is just refusing to boot up, I constantly get the ERROR 09.

I have checked the serial cable and it is attached and today I got an CF-reader and after re-flashing the card I have the same problem. What can I do next? I have been very happy with my Bryston gear, and have had different power amplifiers from Bryston in my system for 10 years now but I must admit the I'm not very pleased with the BDP-2 so far. Hopefully I can get the support I need from Bryston in this matter.

Regards
Ola

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #806 on: 13 Dec 2014, 02:18 pm »
Pull the power cord from the BDP, plug it back in, power it on and then pay attention to the dac.  Check to see if the dac receives a 44k lock from the BDP just before the error 09 message appears.

Cheers
Chris

Ola_S

« Reply #807 on: 14 Dec 2014, 04:00 pm »
Hi Chris! I have now check and it does not get a 44k lock just before the Error 09 appears.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #808 on: 15 Dec 2014, 12:59 pm »
Sounds like your unit is going to require servicing and you should contact our service desk.

Ola_S

« Reply #809 on: 15 Dec 2014, 07:08 pm »
Sounds like your unit is going to require servicing and you should contact our service desk.
Ok! I get the ERROR 05 from time to time as well, I don't know if that can be related or not. I'll try to contact the service desk directly at Bryston, I hope it can be solved remotely because I don't have a Bryston dealer nearby  :|

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #810 on: 17 Dec 2014, 02:10 am »
Ok! I get the ERROR 05 from time to time as well, I don't know if that can be related or not. I'll try to contact the service desk directly at Bryston, I hope it can be solved remotely because I don't have a Bryston dealer nearby  :|

That's tripped by power spikes, over voltage on the powerline.

Have you tried leaving the BDP powered off for a few hours and then turning it back on?

Ola_S

« Reply #811 on: 17 Dec 2014, 07:40 pm »
That's tripped by power spikes, over voltage on the powerline.

Have you tried leaving the BDP powered off for a few hours and then turning it back on?
Yes I have, it makes no difference.

lateboomer

« Reply #812 on: 3 Jan 2015, 06:45 am »
I would like to know if I upgrade the firmware for BDP-2, can BDP-2 output usb to Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB converter and then through spdif to DAC like BDA-2?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #813 on: 3 Jan 2015, 11:30 am »
I would like to know if I upgrade the firmware for BDP-2, can BDP-2 output usb to Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB converter and then through spdif to DAC like BDA-2?

HI

Yes you can use both outputs at the same time but we have not tested it with the Berkeley yet. It the Berkeley is a Class 2 USB design it should work.

james

Dave Jameson

« Reply #814 on: 3 Jan 2015, 05:27 pm »
Hi latebloomer,

James should probably clarify that the BDP2 can only output one stream of data at a time. So that means you can use either USB or SPDIF and switch back and forth between them using Manic Moose's interface("Audio Devices" section of the homepage)......but you won't get simultaneous digital output.

As for your Berkely, you will likely have a problem if you are feeding your BDP2 music from an external USB hard drive. Well, I know for a fact that you will have this problem, as I've experienced it first hand. The issue has to do with the how the BDP2's USB ports are configured and the Berkely seems to need an isolated USB port (hopefully Chris can elaborate more on the particulars because its beyond me technically  :D).

The way around this issue is to use either a network attached storage or to build a SATA drive right into the BDP2. The BDP2's internals are already set up to accept a 2.5" SATA drive and it's pretty straight forward to install/initialize.

Cheers!

Tympani

« Reply #815 on: 4 Jan 2015, 08:10 pm »
BTW, if I connect my 1TB SSD internally, will the external eSATA port remain active? I'm using the eSATA port now for my SSD, prefer it to USB. Just wanted to know if I needed a second Hard Drive once the internal was installed, would I be relegated to USB only?
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2015, 09:21 pm by Tympani »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #816 on: 4 Jan 2015, 11:40 pm »
Hi latebloomer,

James should probably clarify that the BDP2 can only output one stream of data at a time. So that means you can use either USB or SPDIF and switch back and forth between them using Manic Moose's interface("Audio Devices" section of the homepage)......but you won't get simultaneous digital output.

As for your Berkely, you will likely have a problem if you are feeding your BDP2 music from an external USB hard drive. Well, I know for a fact that you will have this problem, as I've experienced it first hand. The issue has to do with the how the BDP2's USB ports are configured and the Berkely seems to need an isolated USB port (hopefully Chris can elaborate more on the particulars because its beyond me technically  :D).

The way around this issue is to use either a network attached storage or to build a SATA drive right into the BDP2. The BDP2's internals are already set up to accept a 2.5" SATA drive and it's pretty straight forward to install/initialize.

Cheers!

The BDP will simultaneously output audio on all output devices (USB and spdif).  Playback from a USB source using the USB input on a BDA-2 is fine, I can't speak for the Berkeley though.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #817 on: 4 Jan 2015, 11:41 pm »
BTW, if I connect my 1TB SSD internally, will the external eSATA port remain active? I'm using the eSATA port now for my SSD, prefer it to USB. Just wanted to know if I needed a second Hard Drive once the internal was installed, would I be relegated to USB only?

The BDP-2 has two sata interfaces, both can be used simultaneously.

Dave Jameson

« Reply #818 on: 5 Jan 2015, 04:27 pm »
The BDP will simultaneously output audio on all output devices (USB and spdif).  Playback from a USB source using the USB input on a BDA-2 is fine, I can't speak for the Berkeley though.

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks Chris! I stand corrected. I have however experienced with (only) one DAC where it's USB input vanished from MM Audio Devices, upon selecting one of its other digital inputs. But I suspect this was very rare and isolated to just that DAC (or its firmware revision).

So to clarify, one could hook up a BDP2 to BDA2 with both USB and AES and simply switch between the DACs inputs with little audible hesitation?

bgilchrist

BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #819 on: 15 Jan 2015, 11:25 pm »
Hi ------ I bought a BDP-2 a few weeks ago and I'm having a few issues getting it to operate the way I'd like.  Serial # is 000605  firmware  S2.06 2014-10-07

First -- I have a number of Logitech squeezebox clients -- A Touch / Radio and Modwright Transporter (the transporter is being replaced with the BDP-2)  But I would like to use the Squeezebox software exclusively for all devices and the IPENG remote software that I use for LMS control - this was one of the deciding factors in choosing the BDP-2 to replace my Transporter.

I'm not sure if this makes any difference -- but I have the LMS software installed on a QNAP TS879 Pro server with 32 TB of storage space and roughly 180,000 songs -- and I have no software that is specific to the BDP or MPD interface installed on the server - ( but I do have the LMS software installed on the server )

I can view and access my complete music library with both MPD and / or the Logitech software -- through a networked PC client and / or with an IPAD & I phone -- using MPOD and or IPENG ------

I have installed Squeezelite in the services section and enabled the following services ( disabling all the others and ensuring the playlist is empty when I enable the squeezelite service )
USB Mount
Squeezelite
DLNA Renderer
DLNA Client
I Also ensured that there is nothing selected in the MPD settings section (MPD version 17.5)

Once this is done -- the BDP shows up as a client on the LMS software interface -- and everything works fine. 
But as soon as I turn the BDP-2 off and restart it -- the Squeezelite service gets turned off and the MPD service gets turned back on - and the BDP no longer shows up as a client in the LMS software.
The display on the front of the unit -- after displaying "initializing' -- is displays "installing MPD 17.5"

Am I missing a setting somewhere that keeps this from happening and ensures that Squeezlite is the only service that operates - and it stays that way when the BDP power is cycled ? - Or am I not enabling the correct services to properly use Squeezelite as the default interface.  It's not convenient at all to have to adjust the settings every time the unit is powered on or off.

Also ------ I constantly get this message on the MPD main page -- indicating that "Bryston DB crash detected" -------- occasionally it also says "no internet connection detected" ------- do you know how I can clear these messages & why they keep occurring?  And thirdly -- I cannot get Artist display to complete the scanning process -- I've left it for more than 24 hours several times -- but it never gets past 95% --Just reads "SORTING MUSIC INTO BRYSTON" -- and never completes -- I never have this issue with LMS -- only with MPD ----- although my library is 180,000 songs -- they are well tagged - so this is not the problem -- The library displays fine with all the album art on MPoD and MPaD -- but it won't display on the left pane with MPD ------- I'm using a 4GB USB key for the scratch drive -- is this perhaps too small -- how do I set up the scratch drive on my server -- when it doesn't show up as an option when I'm in that section -- it only allows me to select from attached drives -- and apart from a USB key -- I don't want to attach an external drive simply for this purpose -- I have 6TB free on my server that I would rather use --

Any help you can provide would be appreciated -- the unit sounds great -- but the functionality falls short of my expectations compared to the Logitech transporter I've used for years

thanks a lot

Bart