BDP-2 Digital Player

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #580 on: 19 Jan 2014, 04:00 pm »
Until the development of the Manic Moose firmware, we have yet to get USB 3.0 to work any faster then USB 2.0 (slightly, but not enough to justify the cost).  The throughput of USB 3.0 will potentially be twice as much as USB 2.0.  I say potentially simply because the BDP-2 still does have limited processing capability.  Although USB 3.0 is 10x faster then USB 2.0, out USB 3.0 implementation will be slower due to the limitation of the BUS that the USB 3.0 controller will be connected to.  Now that the software works it just a matter of building the hardware, so if/when we release the option; existing BDP-2 should be upgradeable to USB 3.0 with a combination of hardware and software.

Cheers,
Chris

R. Daneel

« Reply #581 on: 19 Jan 2014, 05:24 pm »
Hi Antun,

The microprocessor is 2-3 times faster in the BDP-2 then the BDP-1, to say whether or not this advantageous to your hardware configuration I can not say.  This increase in performance isn't seen everywhere, if something is already a "walk in the park" for the BDP-1 in the first place then the BDP-2 isn't likely to be any faster.  For example, reading the contents of a drive that is formatted as Fat32 isn't very CPU intensive in comparison to reading files off of a drive formatted as NTFS.  So where a BDP-1 might take 20 minutes to read the contents of an fat32 formatted drive, the BDP-2 will take an identical amount of time.  However if that drive is not fat32, but rather NTFS then the BDP-2 will take nearly half the time to read in the contents as the NTFS module is very CPU intense and will max out the resource.

Cheers,
Chris

That is extremely helpful Chris, thank you!

Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #582 on: 19 Jan 2014, 05:35 pm »
Until the development of the Manic Moose firmware, we have yet to get USB 3.0 to work any faster then USB 2.0 (slightly, but not enough to justify the cost).  The throughput of USB 3.0 will potentially be twice as much as USB 2.0.  I say potentially simply because the BDP-2 still does have limited processing capability.  Although USB 3.0 is 10x faster then USB 2.0, out USB 3.0 implementation will be slower due to the limitation of the BUS that the USB 3.0 controller will be connected to.  Now that the software works it just a matter of building the hardware, so if/when we release the option; existing BDP-2 should be upgradeable to USB 3.0 with a combination of hardware and software.

Cheers,
Chris

That is interesting!

So, if you release a BDP with an even faster processor in the future, it will be better equipped to take advantage of the faster USB 3.0 interface? Surely that would spped up the response time even more.

But I was wondering, is BDP-2 powerful enough to run PCM or DSD files we might see in the future. Like those that have sample rates of 384kHz or DSD-64/128/256 or even DSD-512? It is questionable whether those formats have a future but I am curious. 

Cheers!
Antun

budcook

Album Art
« Reply #583 on: 19 Jan 2014, 06:25 pm »
I have a BDP-2 running S1.73 2013-02.  Using FireFox to control Max 2 I am trying to get it to display all the Album Art in a play list.  When I click on Album, I get text naming the albums but no album art until I select one of the albums.  Is there a way to see the Album Art for all of the related albums in a playlist

?

I seem to remember something about scratch drives but can't locate that Info..

Bud Cook

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Album Art
« Reply #584 on: 19 Jan 2014, 08:36 pm »
I have a BDP-2 running S1.73 2013-02.  Using FireFox to control Max 2 I am trying to get it to display all the Album Art in a play list.  When I click on Album, I get text naming the albums but no album art until I select one of the albums.  Is there a way to see the Album Art for all of the related albums in a playlist

?

I seem to remember something about scratch drives but can't locate that Info..

Bud Cook

Hi Bud,

you need to select a scratch drive and then create the album art database, this is covered briefly in the last video post in the instructional video's and tutorials thread.

Cheers,
Chris

budcook

Re: Album Art
« Reply #585 on: 19 Jan 2014, 09:33 pm »
Hi Bud,

you need to select a scratch drive and then create the album art database, this is covered briefly in the last video post in the instructional video's and tutorials thread.

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks Chris

Bud

keithjacksontucson

« Reply #586 on: 20 Jan 2014, 04:30 pm »
I like the BDP-2 . I've been enjoying it for a few months now.
 I didn't like Max 2 MPD that much because the text is too large to see my music in an Ipad
and the top gets cut off. I listen to classical music mostly and the movements and text are hard to see with Max 2. Anyway I downloaded the MPaD app which worked pretty well until recently when they was an upgrade. Now all of my music is alphabetical and  classical movements are out of order .There is no way to fix it.  It's really become a pain to use and there is no real alternative to the max 2 mpd or MPaD as long as I use an Ipad. Anyone have a suggestion

haxter1

« Reply #587 on: 20 Jan 2014, 05:09 pm »
Sometimes the longest way around is the shortest way home.  What I do is create a playlist by copying what I want to hear on to a flashdrive and numbering them in the order that I want to listen to them. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #588 on: 20 Jan 2014, 05:19 pm »
I like the BDP-2 . I've been enjoying it for a few months now.
 I didn't like Max 2 MPD that much because the text is too large to see my music in an Ipad
and the top gets cut off. I listen to classical music mostly and the movements and text are hard to see with Max 2. Anyway I downloaded the MPaD app which worked pretty well until recently when they was an upgrade. Now all of my music is alphabetical and  classical movements are out of order .There is no way to fix it.  It's really become a pain to use and there is no real alternative to the max 2 mpd or MPaD as long as I use an Ipad. Anyone have a suggestion

Hi

Save the MAX 2 to the IPAD desktop (don't use Safari) and use the Bryston icon - that way the top will not be cut off. 

Also in MAX 2 click on the gear in the center upper section and click on "Use file rather than tag data." which should help with your lists of files.

Also there is a small set of arrows in the top left section of MAX 2 - if you click on that your play list gets larger.

james

keithjacksontucson

« Reply #589 on: 20 Jan 2014, 06:30 pm »
thanks. Those work pretty well
still mad about MPaD downgrade

keithjacksontucson

« Reply #590 on: 20 Jan 2014, 08:34 pm »
I am using a Toshiba portable hard drive with the BDP-2
In trying to set up an album database I added the same toshiba drive twice
now when I start up the player is reading the songs twice and showing me with
double my song total. How do I get rid of the extra drive showing on the Max 2 when I start up?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #591 on: 20 Jan 2014, 11:00 pm »
I am using a Toshiba portable hard drive with the BDP-2
In trying to set up an album database I added the same toshiba drive twice
now when I start up the player is reading the songs twice and showing me with
double my song total. How do I get rid of the extra drive showing on the Max 2 when I start up?

Thats a Chris question - will forward.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #592 on: 21 Jan 2014, 02:02 am »
I'm not sure by what you mean "added it twice"?

Clicking the update button on the BDP's home page will force the BDP to rescan and recreate your database.

Cheers,
Chris

dgb

« Reply #593 on: 27 Jan 2014, 09:29 am »
Please, your help.
Now my bdp-2 is equipped with an internal 500 GB ssd hd.
My complete collection is about 1.3 TB, so now I have to storage about 800 GB, that will increase in the future, on an external drive.
Can I have your advice about the best solution ?
USB or ESATA self powered HD (in this case I'm thinking about a 2TB HD), or maybe two 500 GB HD connected to the bottom powered ports ? If the first way is better, please can I have also some advices about the best port to use and also about some good models ?
Thanks in advance, dino.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #594 on: 27 Jan 2014, 12:44 pm »
Please, your help.
Now my bdp-2 is equipped with an internal 500 GB ssd hd.
My complete collection is about 1.3 TB, so now I have to storage about 800 GB, that will increase in the future, on an external drive.
Can I have your advice about the best solution ?
USB or ESATA self powered HD (in this case I'm thinking about a 2TB HD), or maybe two 500 GB HD connected to the bottom powered ports ? If the first way is better, please can I have also some advices about the best port to use and also about some good models ?
Thanks in advance, dino.

Hi Dino

Recommend USB for sure - I have used the Western Digital 2.5 inch USB Passport drives in 1TB  sizes with great success. There is no concern with which USB port you use on the BDP2 as it has a very large internal power supply.

james

dgb

« Reply #595 on: 27 Jan 2014, 01:02 pm »
Hi Dino

Recommend USB for sure - I have used the Western Digital 2.5 inch USB Passport drives in 1TB  sizes with great success. There is no concern with which USB port you use on the BDP2 as it has a very large internal power supply.

james

Great, I have a 1Tb Passport at home, but I was afraid to use it, after I read on the manual about the limit of 1/2 Amp of current on the powered ports.
Thanks James.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #596 on: 27 Jan 2014, 01:07 pm »
Great, I have a 1Tb Passport at home, but I was afraid to use it, after I read on the manual about the limit of 1/2 Amp of current on the powered ports.
Thanks James.

Thats only the BDP-1 - the BDP2 has a 5 Amp power supply.

james

dgb

« Reply #597 on: 27 Jan 2014, 01:10 pm »
Perfect !

drummermitchell

« Reply #598 on: 3 Feb 2014, 03:51 pm »
Is it possible when making a playlist on the BDP-2 to be able to with that play list somehow put what you selected onto a thumb drive.
Must be some kind of program where it can be as simple as,create a list and transfer somehow when on the BDP-2 with a click of the mouse.
Tried the click and drag workout and for me it's not happening,actually pisses me off .

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #599 on: 4 Feb 2014, 02:06 am »
That is interesting!

So, if you release a BDP with an even faster processor in the future, it will be better equipped to take advantage of the faster USB 3.0 interface? Surely that would spped up the response time even more.

But I was wondering, is BDP-2 powerful enough to run PCM or DSD files we might see in the future. Like those that have sample rates of 384kHz or DSD-64/128/256 or even DSD-512? It is questionable whether those formats have a future but I am curious. 

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun,

We've played back dsd128 files on a BDP-1 & 2 successfully, I have yet to see any native DSD 256/512 or pcm 352; however if the BDP-1/2 can do DSD128 and they can they would ALSo be able to do pcm 352.  It seems to be if you have an OS stripped down enough as we do than you don't need all lot in the resource department.  Also I noticed something I said in the USB 3.0 statement that could easily be misinterpreted; we have no plans to make our own USB 3.0 controller, but to to use an existing and modify it for the BDP-2.

Cheers
Chris