BDP-2 Digital Player

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #540 on: 16 Nov 2013, 06:56 pm »
Hi James!

That's really great! The lowest number I witnessed was 80ps on a Pioneer DVD player. The oscilloscope trace was almost a perfect square. But I suspect most optical media players are well above 100ps. Specifications don't show us the whole picture I think but they are possibly a good a good showcase of machine's capabilities. It is just the way it seems to me.

But please tell me, were you able to get a reply from Chris on channel reverse feature in the BDP?

Cheers!
Antun

Yes Chris says not possible with current software.  Not sure if it is a feature we can add or not going forward.

james

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
« Reply #541 on: 16 Nov 2013, 08:07 pm »
Hi Folks,

Should have the complete PDF of the Review soon but I am very proud of the Jitter numbers measured by Paul Miller in the technical section of the review - would you believe 10 psec  :thumb:

james

Um, what's a psec?  I'm taking it that the smaller the number the better?

Thanks,

Mike

R. Daneel

« Reply #542 on: 17 Nov 2013, 01:01 pm »
Um, what's a psec?  I'm taking it that the smaller the number the better?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi!

Picosecond [ps] is a measure of time interval in accordance with SI standard. An interval of one second is equal to:
1.000 millisecond [ms]
1.000.000 microsecond [ns]
1.000.000.000 nanosecond [ns]
1.000.000.000.000 picosecond [ps]

Therefore, one picosecond equals 1x10exp(-12) seconds. It is used in quantum mechanics and sometimes chemistry. In audio, it is used to measure time misalignment of the digital samples and lower value is better though it is not the only relevant parameter.

As far as digital transports go, I think 10ps is as low as humanly possible.

ozzy

« Reply #543 on: 18 Nov 2013, 11:19 pm »
I seem to be having problems with a couple of flash drives not being assessable on my BDP-2. Those flash drives are 32G and have several large music files on them.
Can someone point me to where this topic may have been discussed?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #544 on: 18 Nov 2013, 11:51 pm »
I seem to be having problems with a couple of flash drives not being assessable on my BDP-2. Those flash drives are 32G and have several large music files on them.

Hi

What type of file and how large?

James

ozzy

« Reply #545 on: 19 Nov 2013, 12:29 am »
32g flash drive with about 31G of music Apple Lossless. There are maybe 8 artists of perhaps 4G each.

ozzy

« Reply #546 on: 19 Nov 2013, 12:31 am »
I should say that I have 2  1TB external hardrives with all of my music . To access some of the artists quicker I created some flash drives with certain artists on each. Such as Women, or rock, etc.

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
« Reply #547 on: 19 Nov 2013, 01:46 am »
Hi!

Picosecond [ps] is a measure of time interval in accordance with SI standard. An interval of one second is equal to:
1.000 millisecond [ms]
1.000.000 microsecond [ns]

Therefore, one picosecond equals 1x10exp(-12) seconds. It is used in quantum mechanics and sometimes chemistry. In audio, it is used to measure time misalignment of the digital samples and lower value is better though it is not the only relevant parameter.

As far as digital transports go, I think 10ps is as low as humanly possible.

Thanks, so the jitter in the BDP is basically as low as humanly possible.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #548 on: 19 Nov 2013, 02:37 am »

Hi Ozzy,

What filesystem are the thumb drives formatted as and do hey have labels?

Cheers,
Chris

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #549 on: 19 Nov 2013, 03:32 pm »
NO MORE JITTER BUG :thumb:

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BDA-2 DAC /BDP-2 Player Review

Hi Folks,

Please see below a link to a  superb review on the Bryston BDA-2 DAC and BDP-2 Digital Player combination. Special “HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AWARD”.

Please note  the Jitter numbers measured by Paul Miller in the technical section of the review - would you believe 10 psec ! ***

ftp://ftp.bryston.com/pub/reviews/HFN_Bryston%20BDP-2_BDA-2.pdf

*** What’s a Picosecond?

A Picosecond [ps] is a measure of time interval in accordance with SI standard. An interval of one second is equal to:

1.000 millisecond [ms]
1.000.000 microsecond [ms]
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2013, 06:45 pm by James Tanner »

Dreamseeker

« Reply #550 on: 19 Nov 2013, 10:05 pm »
Hi, I recently purchased a Bryston BDP-2 and is now considering a matching dac. Are there any reasons beyond aesthetics for choosing BPA-2 as a partner for the BDP-2? I mean is there any synergy between the two either sonically or technical that other DAC's can't achieve, even if they perform at at higher level both in price and sound?

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #551 on: 20 Nov 2013, 06:51 am »
Congratulations on your BDP-2, Dreamseeker:

Get the BDA-2 and you'll have found your dream (at least this aspect of it). These two components do work beautifully together, as addressed in the reviews James has posted on this thread, such as those from Hi-Fi News and from HP Soundings. The BDA-2 is also a superb value, providing excellent sound and flexibility, winning The Absolute Sound Product of the Year Award. The sound is accurate, smooth, and engaging, providing the best audio I've heard from my system, noticeably ahead of my Oppo BDP-105 (via HDMI to the SP3) when comparing, say, an SACD with a hi-res download of the same recording. Finally, the BR2 remote will control both units, as well as other Bryston gear.

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

Dreamseeker

« Reply #552 on: 20 Nov 2013, 06:29 pm »
Thanks for your reply. The other dac I had in mind is APL DAC-S. It retails for $5000 as opposed to $2400 for BDA-2. For me the price difference will be less. I will not be able to hear either of them before making the decision but expect DAC-S to have the edge over BDA-2. I have a good deal of experience with digital sources in the price range of BDA-2, so my motivation for going with the APL dac is to get something that maybe performs in a bit higher league. But I suppose BDA-2 in many ways would be good enough for me.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #553 on: 20 Nov 2013, 10:17 pm »
hi, Seeker!

the BDA-2 is cheaper, has much more inputs and the same AKM chips as the APL DAC... :thumb:

al.

BrysTony

« Reply #554 on: 20 Nov 2013, 10:57 pm »
Manufacturer A builds a DAC and prices it at $5000.  Manufacturer B builds a DAC and prices it at $2400.  Two truths: 1.  The PRICE of a high end electronics item is for the most part unrelated to COST of producing the item.  2.  There is not a direct correlation of higher price to better sound. 

I currently have the 1st generation BDA-1 along with the BDP-1.  If I wanted a better DAC and had the inclination to buy one I would choose the BDA-2 based on my experience with the BDA-1.

Tony

R. Daneel

« Reply #555 on: 22 Nov 2013, 02:09 pm »
My opinion of the BDA-2 is that it is an exceptional D/A converter. Considering the sound quality it offers, I would say it is affordable even if it is not really cheap. It took me quite a bit of time to decide which DAC to purchase and after numerous listening sessions, I decided it was better than the NAD M51 and Musical Fidelity M6DAC. Mind you, the M51 is literally half the price where I live and the M6DAC is around 300 Euro cheaper than the BDA-2 but it was still my choice. J wasn't really opting for having a one-brand system, since I already own a BHA-1 headphone amplifier, but in the end it turned out that way.

Now, I listened to even more expensive DACs like the EMM labs DAC2 and it sounded magnificent. The price was 7600 Euro though and so, well beyond what I was prepared to spend. But I really can't say I am missing a whole lot and as harsh as it sounds, even the BDA-2 is a waste of time because most recordings are simply unworthy of good quality equipment. It is with good quality recordings that this equipment shines and for that small number of recordings, the BDA-2 was well worth it. One always has to find the right measure and I think I found mine in the BDA-2.

R. Daneel

« Reply #556 on: 22 Nov 2013, 07:00 pm »
Just to add to my previous comment, and I do realize it isn't the place to do it, I am quite pleased with the BDA-2. Of all the DACs I have tried in this or near this price point, it is the only audiophile equivalent of a mastering-grade DAC. The reason I say this is because not only does it have a flat frequency response, but it also has a natural timbre of the instruments. Through the BDA-2 the instruments I know so well sound as realistic as in live or studio environments and that is the "n-th degree" I was looking for. It is a visceral quality I believe is unique to this machine.

I know nothing about Bryston as a company but it seems to me that, apart from long hours in front of computer screens, someone spent countless hours trying to fine-tune the filters or whatever it is that makes it sound like it does to get the natural tone of human voice and instruments.

Folk instruments in Croatia are quite verse and colorful but rarely do I hear them reproduced well. I think it captures the spirit of these instruments really well, which is to say, they sound as realistic as the recording will provide.

Dreamseeker

« Reply #557 on: 23 Nov 2013, 09:48 pm »
After some consideration I did make an order for the APL dac. The Bryston DAC would have been the sensible choice and BDP-2 has made very good impression. The APL dac feels a bit more exciting in the sense that it's hand made by a so called guru that uses audiophile parts in the products and has his own designs. If I'm not happy with it I guess I can sell for aproximately the same as I'm buying it for.

R. Daneel

« Reply #558 on: 30 Nov 2013, 05:57 pm »
After some consideration I did make an order for the APL dac. The Bryston DAC would have been the sensible choice and BDP-2 has made very good impression. The APL dac feels a bit more exciting in the sense that it's hand made by a so called guru that uses audiophile parts in the products and has his own designs. If I'm not happy with it I guess I can sell for aproximately the same as I'm buying it for.

Unless he is well-known, it is more likely you will sell it for a fraction of the price you paid for it. It is inevitably the way of "hifi gurus" and DIYers alike. I know for I had some electronics that were really good and yet, I could sell them for something that would buy me an unbelievably ridiculous commercial design that wouldn't come near that DIY product, let alone something in the commercial high-end range.

DACs like the ones from Lampizator are exceptional but their value is drastically reduced when sold on the 2nd hand market because of the lack of magazine-endorsed advertisement.

I have a super tube DAC which was inspired by Lampizator but sounds even better due to several modifications done by the now late Mr. Slobodan from Croatia. Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold capacitors (50 Euro a piece), Holco military grade resistors, zero-feedback single triode stage with dedicated power supply and power transformer and fed directly off the CS4398's legs... The works. I tried to sell it but have really given up on the idea for I couldn't sell it for the price of one Mundorf capacitor.

Why I switched to Bryston? Because it perfoms equally good in it's own right, is a lot more versatile and unlike tube designs operating in pure class A, it is trouble-free. 

jhameeh

« Reply #559 on: 26 Dec 2013, 04:31 am »
Is there any chance exasound e20 dac will work with bdp2 via USB?