BDP-2 Digital Player

ozzy

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #500 on: 3 Oct 2013, 07:29 pm »
Well I have been getting error 09 messages on my BDP-2 about every few turn-ons and it has been driving me crazy.
At this point I think I figured out what was wrong... at least I hope I did.
I have my BDP-2 powered from my PS Audio P10. I had the output on the PS-10 setup to "Sinewave". Once I changed the output to "Multiwave" the error messages on the BDP-2 have seemed to go away. At least it has the last few days, so we shall see...

So, listen to Chris when he says Power conditioners can effect the power signal to the BDP-2.
To be continued...

budcook

« Reply #501 on: 3 Oct 2013, 10:19 pm »
Never had a problem with my BDP-2 plugged into my BIT IS-15.  Turn it on and off every day.

Bud

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
« Reply #502 on: 3 Oct 2013, 11:02 pm »
Hi Steve

Yes it is a software update not a hardware update.

james

James, you and I talked about DSD a little bit ago as well and at that time your DSD plans were uncertain.  Does it seem that your DSD plans have firmed up and if so, will DSD be available for my BDP-1?

Thanks,

Mike

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #503 on: 3 Oct 2013, 11:10 pm »
James, you and I talked about DSD a little bit ago as well and at that time your DSD plans were uncertain.  Does it seem that your DSD plans have firmed up and if so, will DSD be available for my BDP-1?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike

The new software that Chris is developing appears to work with DSD so hopefully it should be available by the end of the year.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #504 on: 4 Oct 2013, 01:09 am »
It will likely be in public beta by the end of the year.... the beatings arn't that frequent ;)

Cheers
Chris

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
« Reply #505 on: 4 Oct 2013, 04:56 pm »
Thanks Chris and James.  The timing is not as much of an issue to me as that it's being released.  That is great news, looking forward to it.  I'm getting my Wyred4Sound DAC upgraded with the DSD package.

Regards,

Mike

drummermitchell

« Reply #506 on: 8 Oct 2013, 06:22 pm »
Update for my BDP-2,since she been plugged in the Torus 24/7 for a month or so. e ran into error 4 a few times.
So today I am taking Chris's advise and am running her direct to a dedicated line to see if she goes into error again.
Funny though as there is no TB or computer connected to it at all.
Maybe that's why,I'm not using her at all :nono:.,stay tuuuuned.

zuluwarrior0760

« Reply #507 on: 15 Oct 2013, 06:57 am »
I've enjoyed my BDP2 beyond words, but lack of DSD has been disappointing.  I love Blue Coast
Records downloads among others.......

Saw this at RMAF:
http://store.sony.com/hi-res-music-player-with-1tb-hdd-zid27-HAPZ1ES/cat-27-catid-All-Res-Audio?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

small color LCD screens on these devices are what I would term as "useless"
but native DSD support is compelling for a unit at this price point including 1tb storage.......
wonder how it sounds tho....we didn't get to hear it this weekend......

Nice to hear Bryston is hearing the call and will support DSD

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #508 on: 15 Oct 2013, 09:44 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: BDP/DBA Digital Player/DAC – Customer Feedback
Subject: Bryston duo

Date: 13 October, 2013

I have to keep things in perspective I know but these Brystons have totally changed the way I relate to reproduced music. I bought my first "high end" component in 1968 - a Dual 1019 turntable so I have been at this game for a long time and nothing has prepared me for the way in which the BDA and the BDP facilitate my enjoyment of high quality reproduced sound.

They are uber-convenient  I am getting all of my CDs ripped to my network attached storage drive which I as super fast Iomega RAID setup with 4TB of storage. I can access the music through the network if I like and actually stream it to the DAC in the magnum Dynalab but I mostly just copy what I want to 32GB USB drives and plug them into the BDP

As the BDA -2 breaks in it just gets sweeter and sweeter not a trace of digital glare. I swapped out The cable between the BDA and the BDP to a Kimber D-60 BNC and find that I like the focus better than with the Bryston cable. The kimber has a list "price of around $300 compared with $105 for the Bryston so thats no surprise. I use the iPad to control everything and it is just dynamite

These two pieces have been revolutionary for me not evolutionary  can't thank you enough for pointing me in this direction. The Naim DAC was excellent but this Bryston has gone to another level with sound staging and imaging and has a WOW factor that the Naim did not give me.

WOW even on Red Book material

Al

drummermitchell

« Reply #509 on: 16 Oct 2013, 12:31 am »
It's been a week with the BDP-2 plugged into a dedicated line,no error codes ect.
Powered on 24/7,looks like all's good.
I'll see in one more week just in case,Don't like digital components being naked without some kind of protection.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #510 on: 16 Oct 2013, 02:33 pm »
It's been a week with the BDP-2 plugged into a dedicated line,no error codes ect.
Powered on 24/7,looks like all's good.
I'll see in one more week just in case,Don't like digital components being naked without some kind of protection.

You should be ok with a generic power bar and the BDP's power supply should filter out any noise on its own.

Cheers,
Chris

drummermitchell

« Reply #511 on: 16 Oct 2013, 07:02 pm »
THX :).

drummermitchell

« Reply #512 on: 22 Oct 2013, 10:27 pm »
I  must say my CDP works better than the BDP-2 as far as power management goes.
Error again and she's plugged direct to the wall,where before she was into the Torus.
Fine and nice digital can be fussy,but comparing the two digital products regarding power/initializing,my BCD-1 has been flawless close to 6yrs and that's been on 24/7,perhaps I got a lemon as I have had the BDP-2 for maybe 2-3 months and have only played her 3X with the TD,which I keep it on 24/7 with nothing inserted,just the AES cable going to the BDA-2(which doesn't go into error or shut down.
This is at least 4 error codes so far and have to always unplug and replug to get it to initialize again :roll:.

dgb

« Reply #513 on: 24 Oct 2013, 04:15 am »
my experience :
I own the bdp-2 from about one month. I plugged it in a digital input of a Belkin Pure AV PF50.
I had very, very often Error 05 (overvoltage), and I was adviced to don't plug it in a power conditioner.
I had no more the error.
But I tried again with the Belking, changing the electrical phase (inverting the plug).
No more error problem from 15 dd. I hope it will continue like that.
P.S. Italy 220 AC.

EJS73

« Reply #514 on: 29 Oct 2013, 02:37 pm »
Another accolade: having owned a BDP-2 for a few months now, I have to say I am mightily impressed by it. By way of background, I was and still am a CD afficionado. Having played with streaming and not finding anything remotely charming about hooking up my hifi (Bryston / Accuphase / B&W / Siltech) to a network, I initially thought of adding a mac mini running audirvana, but months of testing DACs, I couldn't make it sound as good as I wanted - certainly not as good as my upmarket CD player. Then came the BDP-2, which, running into an accuphase DAC-30, sounds indistinguishable from CD on redbook and gorgeous in high res, and best of all, runs from USB sticks without any fuss. I prefer to run it in bare-bones mode from the front panel.

A note on power errors at start-up: mine suffered from it until I reversed phase at the wall outlet. Not a single incident since. And on the firmware: V.1.73 runs fine but for some reason 1.6 is more reliable in reading memory sticks as they are plugged in...

Cheers,

EJ

dgb

« Reply #515 on: 29 Oct 2013, 04:21 pm »
I'm absoltutly not expert.
I bought a Samsung SSD and I installed it inside.
Connecting with the server , my PC doesn't see the Samsung, but it see other usb flash.
Have I to formatted the SSD or install the Samsung software ?
Is it possible do do it on the BDP-2 or not ?
Thank's
dino

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #516 on: 29 Oct 2013, 04:47 pm »
I'm absoltutly not expert.
I bought a Samsung SSD and I installed it inside.
Connecting with the server , my PC doesn't see the Samsung, but it see other usb flash.
Have I to formatted the SSD or install the Samsung software ?
Is it possible do do it on the BDP-2 or not ?
Thank's
dino

Make sure you hit UPDATE on the Bryston SETTINGS page.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #517 on: 29 Oct 2013, 05:24 pm »
Regarding my BDP-2 and error code 04,
checked the dedicated receptacles(separate pony breaker panel)they come in at 117v
The Torus which is a balanced 240v the receptacles come in at 122v
Tested to make sure all four duplexes on sub panel   were wired correct(I don't doubt my electrician) and they are correct.
So I believe when my BCD-1 faceplate comes in,I'll send her off to Bryston to have it looked at especially only played the TD a couple of times and only a few months old,thank Christ for warranties.

dgb

« Reply #518 on: 29 Oct 2013, 08:02 pm »
Make sure you hit UPDATE on the Bryston SETTINGS page.

james

My Mac doesn't see the Samsung on the server (BDP-2).
Maybe I have to remove it, and format it. Fat32 or in other way ?
Thank's
dino

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #519 on: 29 Oct 2013, 08:27 pm »
My Mac doesn't see the Samsung on the server (BDP-2).
Maybe I have to remove it, and format it. Fat32 or in other way ?
Thank's
dino

Has to be FAT32 or NTSF

james