Grit

• - Garrett
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #401 on: 6 Jun 2013, 03:49 am »
I connected the ssd via the internal serial sata connector

Afterimage

« Reply #402 on: 14 Jun 2013, 02:43 am »
Need some trouble shooting help.  I use Mpad.  I disconnected my external hard drive to load some music on it.  When I plugged it back in, I can't get the Mpad to show my music.  I keep hitting "refresh local cache" and it just doesn't work.  I shut down the BDP-2 and tried it again....and again.  I unplugged the external hard drive.  Tried the process again.  I know it is connected to the network, so that is not the problem.  This has happened several times before and somehow I eventually get the music to show up.  Anyway, why is this happening?  Is there something I should be doing that I am not.  My assumption is the hard drive gets plugged in, the music should just automatically show up on the MPaD.   Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #403 on: 14 Jun 2013, 06:28 am »
Need some trouble shooting help.  I use Mpad.  I disconnected my external hard drive to load some music on it.  When I plugged it back in, I can't get the Mpad to show my music.  I keep hitting "refresh local cache" and it just doesn't work.  I shut down the BDP-2 and tried it again....and again.  I unplugged the external hard drive.  Tried the process again.  I know it is connected to the network, so that is not the problem.  This has happened several times before and somehow I eventually get the music to show up.  Anyway, why is this happening?  Is there something I should be doing that I am not.  My assumption is the hard drive gets plugged in, the music should just automatically show up on the MPaD.   Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

Hi

Go to the Settings page of the BDP and hit Update.

James

Afterimage

« Reply #404 on: 14 Jun 2013, 06:34 am »
yeah, that works.  Thanks.  It was so simple.   :D  Thanks James.

Oswego0522

« Reply #405 on: 20 Jun 2013, 02:37 am »
My BDP-2 is set up with a 1 TB USB drive attached to the back of the unit and I just added a 500 GB internal hard drive.

My plan is to move/copy my roughly 400 GBs of music from the USB drive or from my laptop to the internal hard drive. Copying music from the USB drive to the internal drive appears to be a slow process--1.5 GB takes about 20-25 minutes.

Is it possible and would it be advantageous, from a speed perspective, to connect my laptop to the BDP via a USB cable in order to transfer music to the internal drive faster?

At the moment, my BDP is connected to the internet using Powerline Ethernet instead of using an Ethernet cable directly from my router. Not sure if this matters.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #406 on: 21 Jun 2013, 01:43 am »
My BDP-2 is set up with a 1 TB USB drive attached to the back of the unit and I just added a 500 GB internal hard drive.

My plan is to move/copy my roughly 400 GBs of music from the USB drive or from my laptop to the internal hard drive. Copying music from the USB drive to the internal drive appears to be a slow process--1.5 GB takes about 20-25 minutes.

Is it possible and would it be advantageous, from a speed perspective, to connect my laptop to the BDP via a USB cable in order to transfer music to the internal drive faster?

At the moment, my BDP is connected to the internet using Powerline Ethernet instead of using an Ethernet cable directly from my router. Not sure if this matters.

Plugging the BDP directly into your home router (assuming everything is gigabit) and wiring your laptop also directly into your home network will give you the fastest results.

Cheers
Chris

ozzy

« Reply #407 on: 21 Jun 2013, 03:59 pm »
Why does the BDP2 require to Ethernet connections?

ozzy

« Reply #408 on: 22 Jun 2013, 04:28 pm »
My question is why is there a need for 2 Ethernet connections?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #409 on: 22 Jun 2013, 04:44 pm »
My question is why is there a need for 2 Ethernet connections?

Hi

One for network and one for control systems going forward.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #410 on: 24 Jun 2013, 10:48 am »
New Bryston BDP-2  Digital Player with 256 g SSD / Magnepan 3.7 Bryston 7Bsst2

Stewart

Published on 17 Jun 2013

Been loading up the hard-drive.

I had no idea how much fun this device would be!

It sounds absolutely fantastic......

Rest of system is still breaking in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkTzpZZDLWU

RonCH

« Reply #411 on: 24 Jun 2013, 03:37 pm »
Hi,

Has anyone compared the sound quality of Optical vs USB from the same music server.  In particular I'm interested in hearing from people using an Apple computer as a music server.

thanks

Ron

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
« Reply #412 on: 24 Jun 2013, 03:43 pm »
When using optical, I use glass as opposed to plastic and in that case, glass sounds better.  However when it's between coax and optical, coax sounds better to me.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #413 on: 25 Jun 2013, 01:31 am »
USB would have my vote on Mac, optical on a Mac would be limited to 96k 24bit where as USB into a BDA2 would go up to 192khz 32bit.  Also i would go with a cheap cable as its digital packets being sent to the dac and not a stream of data.

Cheers,
Chris

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #414 on: 5 Jul 2013, 10:29 am »
Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:10 PM
To: jamestanner@bryston.com
Subject: BDA-2 & BDP-2

James, you may recall answering several queries of mine on the subject units; utilizing my Oppo BDP-95 as a transport and replacing my computer with the BDP-2.

Taking a leap of faith, I had Audio Perfection order both units. I've had the units nearly one month now and I'm very happy with the build quality, design, and most importantly; the sound. Aside losing the ability to play SACD's through the DAC (minor nit), I have been very happy.

Bryston's quality stands apart and I appreciate it. Thank you for all your assistance.

Best regards,
Jay Tuominen

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #415 on: 13 Jul 2013, 11:27 am »
Hi Folks

Got a call yesterday and was informer there will be a review of the BDP-2 Digital Player coming soon in Stereophile.

james
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2013, 02:36 pm by James Tanner »

KeithA

« Reply #416 on: 14 Jul 2013, 02:01 pm »
Hi Folks

Got a call yesterday and was informer there will be a review of the BDP-2 Digital Player coming soon in Stereophile.

james

Great. I'll be picking up a BDP-1 or 2 later in the year....already have a spot open in my rack for it.

Keith

keithjacksontucson

« Reply #417 on: 16 Jul 2013, 01:57 am »
I bought a new BDP-2 last week to go with my BDA-2
My music has never sounded so good. I was actually shocked at how much the player
improved the sound as opposed to just the DAC

In order to access the Bryston max menu I have a wireless router plugged into
the Ethernet port in the BSP-2 and am using my laptop to play through Bryston Max
It works great unless I turn off the player.
The next time I turn the player on , the laptop's  Bryston Max
recognizes the  un-powered USB drive but not the hard drives
plugged into the powered USB drives in the back.
I have to unplug them and plug them back in in order for the Bryston max to
activate the player to play the songs
Is this a software glitch or just a normal part of the player

Thanks

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #418 on: 16 Jul 2013, 03:50 am »
I bought a new BDP-2 last week to go with my BDA-2
My music has never sounded so good. I was actually shocked at how much the player
improved the sound as opposed to just the DAC

In order to access the Bryston max menu I have a wireless router plugged into
the Ethernet port in the BSP-2 and am using my laptop to play through Bryston Max
It works great unless I turn off the player.
The next time I turn the player on , the laptop's  Bryston Max
recognizes the  un-powered USB drive but not the hard drives
plugged into the powered USB drives in the back.
I have to unplug them and plug them back in in order for the Bryston max to
activate the player to play the songs
Is this a software glitch or just a normal part of the player

Thanks

Hi Kieth,

This is not normal behaviour, the BDP should remember the contents of the drive after its been turned back on.  However you do need to wait for the updating process to finish before the BDP will write the changes to its internal flash drive.  If your turning your BDP off before its done updating then this would explain the issue.  Updating to designated by a capitol "U" in the lower left corner of the screen. 

Cheers,
Chris

crice@bryston.com

keithjacksontucson

« Reply #419 on: 17 Jul 2013, 03:49 am »
yes , it looks more like a rectangle to me. But when the player is loaded, I select a song on the Bryston Max menu and the song shows on the Bryston sreen , but it will not play
Songs will play with the player menu after the player is fully loaded, but to get the songs to play through using the Bryston Max menu, I have to un plug the hard drives and plug them back in