BDP-2 Digital Player

So There

• Brystonized
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #360 on: 25 Apr 2013, 06:26 pm »
Congratulations, James, on yet another fine review. I've never heard better sound through my system than with the BDP-2 and BDA-2. This dynamic duo is revelatory.

Might we get Brystonized pdf copies of these reviews when convenient?

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

Afterimage

« Reply #361 on: 26 Apr 2013, 04:36 pm »
Call Chris Rice at Bryston he will resolve all of your problems

Regards Robert

I called Bryston.  They were EXTREEMlY helpful and I think I got the problem resolved.   Thanks for everyone's input.

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #362 on: 26 Apr 2013, 08:36 pm »
The Bryston techies are the best, eh? Every one of my queries has been met with expertise and generosity.

What was the resolution to your problem, Afterimage?

Rich

skunark

« Reply #363 on: 26 Apr 2013, 08:48 pm »
I called Bryston.  They were EXTREEMlY helpful and I think I got the problem resolved.   Thanks for everyone's input.

What was the issue?

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #364 on: 7 May 2013, 01:56 pm »
Is there a list of SSD's that were tested with the BDP-2 for compatibility? Or does anyone have any input? I was debating between a Samsung Pro 840, Corsair M4, and an OCZ Vector.

budcook

« Reply #365 on: 7 May 2013, 03:28 pm »
Is there a list of SSD's that were tested with the BDP-2 for compatibility? Or does anyone have any input? I was debating between a Samsung Pro 840, Corsair M4, and an OCZ Vector.
I just bought a Samsung 840 Pro for my Mac Pro.  I got the last one from New Egg before they sold out.  These are hot items.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #366 on: 7 May 2013, 03:41 pm »

I use the OCZ

james

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #367 on: 8 May 2013, 04:01 pm »
Thanks. Another quick question: I watched a Bryston video showing that an internally mounted SSD can be formatted via the web interface for the BDP-2. The video showed either EXT for FAT32 for formatting. I thought I read though that the two formatting options were FAT32 or NTFS? I'm very familiar with PC's. Usually, we wouldn't use FAT32 (older file system for smaller capacity drives). I've never used EXT (Linux, right?)

Sorry for all that. Question I wanted to ask was: if the firmware just uses FAT32 or EXT, should I pick one of those instead of NTFS?

budcook

« Reply #368 on: 8 May 2013, 04:47 pm »
Thanks. Another quick question: I watched a Bryston video showing that an internally mounted SSD can be formatted via the web interface for the BDP-2. The video showed either EXT for FAT32 for formatting. I thought I read though that the two formatting options were FAT32 or NTFS? I'm very familiar with PC's. Usually, we wouldn't use FAT32 (older file system for smaller capacity drives). I've never used EXT (Linux, right?)

Sorry for all that. Question I wanted to ask was: if the firmware just uses FAT32 or EXT, should I pick one of those instead of NTFS?
I believe that if you want to have compatibility with a Mac, you should use FAT32.  Otherwise I'd use NTFS.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #369 on: 9 May 2013, 01:20 am »

Ext is the native Linux file system and is not natively supported by windows or Mac.  The BDP supports HFS+, fat32, NTFS and EXT.  The utility built into the BDP that allows you to format a drive gives you the choice of fat32 or ext as those are the optimal options for a drive that will have files copied to it while attached to the BDP over the network.

Cheers,
Chris

Tympani

« Reply #370 on: 9 May 2013, 09:22 pm »
Samsung 840 500G SSD, using NTFS
No glitches. The SSD is powered easily by either of the 2 lower rear USB outputs of the BDP-2

My SSD sits securely in an Anker SSD enclosure. Well-built.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-2-5-Inch-External-Enclosure-Support/dp/B005B5G4S6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1368134260&sr=8-4&keywords=ssd+enclosure

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #371 on: 10 May 2013, 04:28 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BDA-2 DAC - Customer Feedback

Hi James;

Wow, I mean WOW, what a DAC!

For the last 3 ½ years I’ve been very happy with the BDA-1, but now that I’ve heard the BDA-2, for me there’s no going back. When I set out to listen to the BDA-2, I thought I’d have to do a lot of switching back and forth to discern the differences, but it was obvious as soon as music started to play. Depth, texture, cymbal decay, 3D soundstaging, they’re all there in spades with the BDA-2. All the detail, PRAT, and sense of live musical performance is still there as it is with the BDA-1, but now there’s more space around each instrument so that the aforementioned “texture” comes through.

Also, subtle dynamic shadings are easier to appreciate with the BDA-2 over the BDA-1, so that the music has more varied emotional impact. If I had to sum it up, I’d say it’s an incredibly natural sounding dac, as “real” as any tube/analog rig I’ve ever heard. I think the BDA-2 and Magnepan ribbon tweeters are a match made in heaven. As much as I love my maggies (3.6), I’ll admit they do start to compress at higher volumes.

Someday I hope to hear the Model T’s.

Thanks so much.....very happy customer.

Regards,
Daniel Lee

Grit

• - Garrett
RS232 codes
« Reply #372 on: 13 May 2013, 10:33 am »
Can someone point me to the RS232 codes for the BDP-2?

I know it's almost antiquated, but on occasion it's nice to have the ability to FF, REW, skip, etc. from the remote...

shogo33

« Reply #373 on: 22 May 2013, 01:52 am »
Hi,
I read somewhere on this forum that the BDP-2 has asynchronous USB2 output enabled? Is this correct? 
thanks
Joe

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #374 on: 24 May 2013, 09:34 am »
On/off standby?

I had left my BDP-2 on for the week. Earlier today, I tried to access it via browser, and it didn't respond. I checked the unit and the blue power LED was on, but the screen was blank. I pressed the power button but nothing happened. I ultimately unplugged the unit, waited 30 seconds, and plugged it back in. The BDP-2 powered up just fine.

Anyone have input on leaving the BDP-2 "on" or powering it "off" or leaving it "on" but letting it go to screen blank (which I assume is a "sleep" state)?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #375 on: 24 May 2013, 09:56 am »
Hi,
I read somewhere on this forum that the BDP-2 has asynchronous USB2 output enabled? Is this correct? 
thanks
Joe

Hi Joe

Yes correct the USB is async and capable of 192/24.

James

Afterimage

« Reply #376 on: 24 May 2013, 11:14 am »
On/off standby?

I had left my BDP-2 on for the week. Earlier today, I tried to access it via browser, and it didn't respond. I checked the unit and the blue power LED was on, but the screen was blank. I pressed the power button but nothing happened. I ultimately unplugged the unit, waited 30 seconds, and plugged it back in. The BDP-2 powered up just fine.

Anyone have input on leaving the BDP-2 "on" or powering it "off" or leaving it "on" but letting it go to screen blank (which I assume is a "sleep" state)?

Yes, that has happened to me a couple of times.  I tried to hit the power button, but it wouldn't even turn off.  So I just did what you did, unplug the unit and then turn it back on. 

budcook

« Reply #377 on: 24 May 2013, 02:37 pm »
Hi Joe

Yes correct the USB is async and capable of 192/24.

James
I'm confused. I thought all six USB ports were Input ports.

Bud

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #378 on: 24 May 2013, 02:42 pm »
I'm confused. I thought all six USB ports were Input ports.

Bud

Hi

USB is a 2-way system so can be used in either direction with the appropriate software.

james

budcook

« Reply #379 on: 24 May 2013, 03:07 pm »
Hi

USB is a 2-way system so can be used in either direction with the appropriate software.

james
Thanks James, I should know that. 

Bud