BDP-2 Digital Player

terrycym

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #300 on: 2 Mar 2013, 06:14 pm »
Some people say the same thing about manins cables not making a difference but, at least as far as I'm concerned, they do.
I'ce compared a Nordost and freebie USB cable as something was happening there.
No harm in trying a comparison, yes?

SGK

« Reply #301 on: 2 Mar 2013, 06:45 pm »
Will not make a bit of difference between two digital devices

Except that many are altering the part of the USB cable that carries power so as to improve galvanic isolation.

Napalm

« Reply #302 on: 2 Mar 2013, 08:42 pm »
No harm in trying a comparison, yes?

Sure.

However the key is here: "between two digital devices".

Think "transferring files to external hard drive". If you get different results with two different cables, then one or both of them are defective or of the wrong type.

Napalm

« Reply #303 on: 4 Mar 2013, 12:18 am »
I love this.  So many people think DSD is better.  Hmmm...business plan...let's take a bunch of LPCM tracks, convert them to DSD and sell them to all those thinking DSD is better than LPCM!!  Oops....it's being done already.

:wink: Check this:

http://old.hfm-detmold.de/eti/projekte/diplomarbeiten/dsdvspcm/aes_paper_6086.pdf

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #304 on: 4 Mar 2013, 09:39 am »
:wink: Check this:

http://old.hfm-detmold.de/eti/projekte/diplomarbeiten/dsdvspcm/aes_paper_6086.pdf

Interesting, but (to me) not too surprising.
Soundquality is in the recording. The bits after that don't really have much influence.

yartle

« Reply #305 on: 4 Mar 2013, 09:58 am »
I have it on good authority that my BDP-2 will be here tomorrow  :singing: can I ask 2 basic questions:

1, what is the best way to connect it to my SP3

and

2, can it sit on my SP3?

Many thanks and thoughts on it will follow in time!

SGK

« Reply #306 on: 4 Mar 2013, 10:06 am »
2, can it sit on my SP3?

You absolutely have to sit it on some of these.  Fantastic little things.

http://wavekinetics.com/a10-u8.html

:green:

SGK

« Reply #307 on: 4 Mar 2013, 10:07 am »

Soundquality is in the recording. The bits after that don't really have much influence.

Disagree with the second statement.  If the capture is destroyed by "the bits after that" then it is destroyed.

Napalm

« Reply #308 on: 4 Mar 2013, 12:16 pm »
If the capture is destroyed by "the bits after that" then it is destroyed.

The capture is generally "destroyed" by:

a) the lack of sufficient "bits"
b) the use of inadequate methods to reconstruct it from "the bits"

Once you get more than enough bits, any supplemental "bits after that" won't make a noticeable difference. When increasing the number of bits, different methods of digital encoding/reconstruction will just converge to similar end results.

What I find interesting is that people use the term "lossless" or "uncompressed" audio when referring to raw LPCM / DSD digital audio. It sure as hell is "lossy" as some information from the original analog signal has been discarded / altered. It's a just a different kind of "loss" than with an MP3 file.

SGK

« Reply #309 on: 4 Mar 2013, 12:24 pm »
different use of the term "bits"

Napalm

« Reply #310 on: 4 Mar 2013, 12:28 pm »
different use of the term "bits"

then let's dither them  :icon_twisted:

SHV

« Reply #311 on: 4 Mar 2013, 06:06 pm »
I have it on good authority that my BDP-2 will be here tomorrow  :singing: can I ask 2 basic questions:

1, what is the best way to connect it to my SP3

and

2, can it sit on my SP3?

I'm in the "bits are bits" camp so I don't think it makes any difference; I avoid optical because it is the least mechanically secure and my cats tend to loosen connections.

IIRC, I think that James has commented in the past that it's OK to place on top of SP3.   Personally I avoid putting anything on top of my SP3 because it runs hot and why obstruct airflow or subject another component to excess heat.

Steve

ozzy

« Reply #312 on: 8 Mar 2013, 12:30 am »
I am so sorry if this question has already been asked but I have not been able to find it in this long thread.

I want to be able to plug my external 2 TB Hardrive into the BP2 and acess my apple lossless tunes via a Tablet.
Will the BP2 be able to do this?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #313 on: 8 Mar 2013, 01:49 am »
I am so sorry if this question has already been asked but I have not been able to find it in this long thread.

I want to be able to plug my external 2 TB Hardrive into the BP2 and acess my apple lossless tunes via a Tablet.

Yes and I would recommend the IPAD.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #314 on: 8 Mar 2013, 04:06 am »

Hi Ozzy,

Yes you will be able to playback the files on the BDP-2 from the drive.  When you say access them from your tablet, do you just want to control the playback or also play the files on your tablet?  Also what tablet are you using? (iPad, acer iconia?)

Cheers,
Chris

ozzy

« Reply #315 on: 8 Mar 2013, 04:01 pm »
Thank you for the information.
I would just like to be able to control the playlist with my Samsung Galaxay 10" Tablet without having to turn on my Laptop.

ozzy

« Reply #316 on: 8 Mar 2013, 04:18 pm »
I meant to say that all of my music is stored just on my external Hardrive. The Samsung Galaxy would be used as a remote control to access those songs.
BPD2 still ok for this function?
If so, can several external hardrives be plugged into the BP2 and be chosen via the Galaxy Tablet?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #317 on: 8 Mar 2013, 04:20 pm »
I meant to say that all of my music is stored just on my external Hardrive. The Samsung Galaxy would be used as a remote control to access those songs.
If so, can several external hardrives be plugged into the BP2 and be chosen via the Galaxy Tablet?

Hi Ozzy

The laptop does not have to be turned on and the Tablet comunicates wirelessly (through a router) with the BDP-2.  There are facillities for 6 USB drive inputs (4 on the back - 2 on the front) and1 internal drive available on the BDP-2.

james

Joker

« Reply #318 on: 10 Mar 2013, 06:36 pm »
Am a happy owner of a BDP-1 and BDA-1 since a year. I am aware of the technical differences & capabilities between these and the "2s" meanwhile available for both of them. Does anybody have any views / reports on sonic differences between the "1s" and the "2s"? Thanks so much!

rompolompo

« Reply #319 on: 10 Mar 2013, 07:05 pm »

This is what you need:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.namelessdev.mpdroid&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5uYW1lbGVzc2Rldi5tcGRyb2lkIl0.

Good luck!