BDP-2 Digital Player

TMY168

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #200 on: 16 Jan 2013, 03:39 am »
It's the DAC that must be programmed to play DSD and the AKM chipset we are using is capable of it in the BDP2. We are considering it but looking into the legalities given Sony's patent

James

Thanks James, I'm looking forward to hear any news regarding DSD playability.  My local dealer in Thailand starts to list it.  I'm seriously considering it, while comparing BDP-2 to Auraliti PK90-FW, which states that it supports DSD.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #201 on: 16 Jan 2013, 12:59 pm »
Thanks James, I'm looking forward to hear any news regarding DSD playability.  My local dealer in Thailand starts to list it.  I'm seriously considering it, while comparing BDP-2 to Auraliti PK90-FW, which states that it supports DSD.

Yes I think if DSD is really important to you I would pass on the BDA-2 for now.

james

budt

« Reply #202 on: 16 Jan 2013, 02:55 pm »
  I think any meaningful library of DSD is at least 3-5 years( or more) away.

Marius

« Reply #203 on: 16 Jan 2013, 04:20 pm »
HI James,

I am a bit puzzeled what you mean by stating you "would pass on the BDA2 for now"?

Since I'm not in  the position to buy a BDAx/BDPx every version you develop, every 2 years or so, could you give us some indication of the USB converter you announced earlier?
I am making up  my mind to wait for the Bryston version of a hires dac/player that does HDMI-deembedding and DSD, or switch to one of the other quality brands that offer this funtionality already.

How come you so easily forgo on the DSD-requests of your customers? The fact that there's no DSD catalog yet, and maybe not for another 2 years, in my wallet does not justify a temporary 5000 expense again, for a solution that at this moment already is not quite future proof, not even by standards in speed  of current digital developments.

I honestly would hope you change your opinion/attitude about those market requests, and let us stay and rave about Bryston. I would seriously hope you reconsider, and make our investments a bit more future proof.

Thanks, Marius

Yes I think if DSD is really important to you I would pass on the BDA-2 for now.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #204 on: 16 Jan 2013, 04:34 pm »
HI James,

I am a bit puzzeled what you mean by stating you "would pass on the BDA2 for now"?

Since I'm not in  the position to buy a BDAx/BDPx every version you develop, every 2 years or so, could you give us some indication of the USB converter you announced earlier?
I am making up  my mind to wait for the Bryston version of a hires dac/player that does HDMI-deembedding and DSD, or switch to one of the other quality brands that offer this funtionality already.

How come you so easily forgo on the DSD-requests of your customers? The fact that there's no DSD catalog yet, and maybe not for another 2 years, in my wallet does not justify a temporary 5000 expense again, for a solution that at this moment already is not quite future proof, not even by standards in speed  of current digital developments.

I honestly would hope you change your opinion/attitude about those market requests, and let us stay and rave about Bryston. I would seriously hope you reconsider, and make our investments a bit more future proof.

Thanks, Marius

Hi Marius,

Do you mean the USB interface we are working on?  That is to allow you to go from the USB output to a BNC or AES output.

As for DSD - the chip set in the BDA-2 is capable of DSD but the software has not been written yet - I do not want people buying the BDA-2 an expecting it to be able to do DSD.

james

Marius

« Reply #205 on: 16 Jan 2013, 05:09 pm »
Yes James, when will it be released?

As for Dsd: will you be supporting this, or won't you? Hope you will. Hdmi support might be possible in the extension options of the bdp2? Or is this version 3 functionality?

Thanks!
Marius

Hi Marius,

Do you mean the USB interface we are working on?  That is to allow you to go from the USB output to a BNC or AES output.

As for DSD - the chip set in the BDA-2 is capable of DSD but the software has not been written yet - I do not want people buying the BDA-2 an expecting it to be able to do DSD.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #206 on: 16 Jan 2013, 05:22 pm »
Yes James, when will it be released?

As for Dsd: will you be supporting this, or won't you? Hope you will. Hdmi support might be possible in the extension options of the bdp2? Or is this version 3 functionality?

Thanks!
Marius

Hi

Dan our engineer is working on the USB Interface currently so I expect we will have a unit available in a couple of months. 

We are going to look into the DSD and see what we can do - just no promises at this point.

james

TMY168

« Reply #207 on: 18 Jan 2013, 06:24 am »

james

Thank you very much, sir, for the honest response.   :D

hal jones

« Reply #208 on: 23 Jan 2013, 02:49 pm »
I've been considering the BDP-2 for a while now, but I'm a little reticent on pulling the trigger.

Currently I have a Squeezebox Touch feeding my Simaudio Moon 300D DAC into my B135 that I can control via my MacMini and Playbook. I'm very happy with the sound that I'm getting and with my ability to control the interface.

So, my question is: If I get the BDP-2, without getting a BDA-1/2, will there be an appreciable improvement in my SQ, or will it be a sideways sort of move?

I'm stressing a bit over what to do.

Any opinions would be appreciated.  8)

ttsto

« Reply #209 on: 23 Jan 2013, 03:34 pm »
Hi

I moved recently from Squeezebox Touch to BDP-1. I tested both connected to BDA-1
There is indisputably sonic improvement of BDP vs SB. I am not skilled in explaining the differences, however an example of how my wife perceived the difference:
- voice reproduction: with SB was like the singer keeps the microphone to close to his mouth, while with BDP every word is very clear and articulated
- staging: with SB is like I am sitting in first row of the concert and a big speaker is shouting at me, while with BDP I am sitting few rows back and I can relax listening at music

Now, on the ergonomic
SB have better interface for PC or smartphones; never crashes. Moving to MPDroid there was a learning curve. Initially I was thinking the control is terrible, however after one week I was totally comfortable with the new interface
On the other hand, with SB I had to keep my PC on when listening to music; this was generating little, however audible noise; with BDP I have a silent setup composed from 3TB HDD connected to a USB 3.0 interface, kept together in one decent looking aluminium case. I have to update from time to time the HDD, however my music collection is quite stable, so this can be like weekly maintenance. If I want to listen to a download faster, I just copy it to a USB flash drive.

In the end, on the features:
SB provides very complex tagging statistics, lots of plug-ins, integration with lots of internet services. BDP is very simple on this. However, on SB I was using only integration with Last.fm for reporting played tracks, so not much missed from my side. This is doable for BDP also, if software engineers from Bryston would like to do it.

It is for you to decide, there are some trade offs, in my case are acceptable, for a good friend of mine were not acceptable. He ended up upgrading his SB Touch to Squeezebox Transporter from the same family, it is end of life however can be found on internet.
We both are very happy with our decisions :)

PS

Would you like to post some impressions on B135? Product is lacking reviews and I am quite curious how people are perceiving it.

« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2013, 05:23 pm by ttsto »

hal jones

« Reply #210 on: 24 Jan 2013, 07:52 pm »
I really like my 135. Nice and refined. It has less overall grunt power than my previous amp (Anthem 225), so I find that I have to crank the volume knob a bit more, but it's all relative I guess. I have, however, toyed with the thought of getting a 4B and using the 135 just as a pre, but for now that's just a hypothetical.

On a more on topic note, I just ordered my BDP-2 from my local dealer. Was told to expect at least a three week delivery.

:drool:

hal jones

« Reply #211 on: 29 Jan 2013, 01:09 am »
Hey!

Quick question....

I just bought a 3TB external HD to get things ready for the BDP-2's arrival.

It's currently formatted for a Mac.... Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Do I need to reformat this, or is it compatible with the BDP?

TIA !

hal jones

« Reply #212 on: 29 Jan 2013, 01:39 am »
Figured it out.

I originally tried it via the "erase" tab of the Mac OS Disk Utility, but it wasn't an option.

Then I found it in the "partition" tab. Chose partition, Fat32, and even renamed the disk Bryston HD :D

I'm transferring my files right now.....

Samurai7595

« Reply #213 on: 29 Jan 2013, 01:57 am »
Is anyone running their BDP-2 digital player through the optional internal DAC of their B135 integrated amp or the optional internal DAC of their BP26 pre-amp?

Do these optional internal DACs do justice to the BDP-2 digital player and do they support 24/192 hi-rez FLAC music files?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #214 on: 29 Jan 2013, 02:47 am »
Is anyone running their BDP-2 digital player through the optional internal DAC of their B135 integrated amp or the optional internal DAC of their BP26 pre-amp?

Do these optional internal DACs do justice to the BDP-2 digital player and do they support 24/192 hi-rez FLAC music files?

Hi,

Those Dac's work very well with the BDP, but are limited to 96khz 24bit.

Cheers,
Chris

Samurai7595

« Reply #215 on: 29 Jan 2013, 12:34 pm »
Hi,

Those Dac's work very well with the BDP, but are limited to 96khz 24bit.

Cheers,
Chris

Does that mean that a 24/192 FLAC music file will be "downgraded" to 24/96 or that the 24/192 file will not play through those DACs?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #216 on: 30 Jan 2013, 03:21 am »
Does that mean that a 24/192 FLAC music file will be "downgraded" to 24/96 or that the 24/192 file will not play through those DACs?

No, anything higher then 96khz 24bit doesn't play, well technically it does play you just won't hear anything

Cheers,
Chris

m00nhawk

« Reply #217 on: 30 Jan 2013, 06:03 am »
24/192 works great with an SP3!  :lol:

Xinon

« Reply #218 on: 5 Feb 2013, 09:54 am »
I have both Bdp1 and Bdp2 , using the Mpad interface to control them.
On some record, the ones I ripped to Wav does not show up in the display on Bdp2 , but does on the Bdp1 .
Also on the Mpad when you touch the album cover you can see the bitrate, can see it when controling Bdp1 but on Bdp2 it show 0kb/sec,441001khz , on same files (wav) ? ?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #219 on: 6 Feb 2013, 03:10 am »
I have both Bdp1 and Bdp2 , using the Mpad interface to control them.
On some record, the ones I ripped to Wav does not show up in the display on Bdp2 , but does on the Bdp1 .
Also on the Mpad when you touch the album cover you can see the bitrate, can see it when controling Bdp1 but on Bdp2 it show 0kb/sec,441001khz , on same files (wav) ? ?

Hi Xinon,

The firmware posted below should fix that.

[url]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/86196657/firmware/20130130/firmware20130130.bin[\url]

Cheers,
Chris