Connect Xfinity box to powered speakers?

rockadanny

Connect Xfinity box to powered speakers?
« on: 30 Jan 2023, 05:07 pm »
I have a pair of powered speakers with RCA inputs I am considering using with my cable TV.
My Xfinity cable box has RCA audio outputs. The Xfinity remote has a volume control.
Can I connect it to the powered speakers and control the volume via the Xfinity box and remote?
Or do I need a preamp between the Xfinity box and the powered speakers, and control volume via the preamp instead?

rockadanny

Re: Connect Xfinity box to powered speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2023, 05:24 pm »
Asking because not sure if cable box would actually change volume or if the volume control on the remote is just usable when you sync the remote to a specific TV, and thus the volume is being controlled strictly via the TV at that point. And the cable box does not actually control volume out via RCA outputs (like a preamp would)

Kray

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2023, 05:32 pm »
Yes you can use the RCA/Audio out from the cable box direct to your speakers and control volume with your remote.

Could check to see if your box allows the RCA output to select either "fixed" or "variable", make sure it's variable if that option is there.

I haven't had a cable box in 10+yrs so I wouldn't know the current boxes setup.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2023, 05:50 pm »
The Xfinity box doesn't have volume control.  And another sometimes issue is audio sync to video when using this choice.

And a interesting side note when watching the football game yesterday we had 2 different boxes, tablet via xfinty and TV using Chrome cast tv and chrome didn't have commercials and almost 40 second time difference across the choices with the DVR box being last.

And now you know how I won my $5 bet :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

So if RCA on TV check it's audio settings. 

Alan

rockadanny

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2023, 03:20 am »
Thank you for your responses. I don't know for sure, but I'll assume the line level outputs in the Xfinity box are fixed, and that I'll have to connect them to a preamp for volume control.

Kray

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2023, 03:18 pm »
Thank you for your responses. I don't know for sure, but I'll assume the line level outputs in the Xfinity box are fixed, and that I'll have to connect them to a preamp for volume control.

You could look up the manual of the box you have online to check for sure. Obviously my box/exp is outdated but 10yrs ago my box did allow variable out from the RCA out.