Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI

klh

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #20 on: 2 May 2004, 01:22 pm »
StevenACNJ,

Do you mind telling how much you paid for all of the mods?

Thanks

StevenACNJ

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #21 on: 3 May 2004, 10:16 am »
Quote from: klh
StevenACNJ,

Do you mind telling how much you paid for all of the mods?

Thanks

The complete list of work done to my unit is contained within these posts.

I suggest you email Dan with your price question. He responds quickly to emails.

Levi

Impression of the pioneer mod
« Reply #22 on: 2 Jun 2004, 02:44 pm »
Hello StevenACNJ,

I noticed that it has been months now since you posted here.  What is your impressions of the Pioneer?

PhilNYC has an Audience modded Pioneer that we will be auditioning in his house in NJ.  Care to join the NY Audio Rave June meeting?

Quote from: StevenACNJ
I received an email from Dan and the unit is all finished. Dan is letting it burn in and doing some testing.

He will shortly provide his initial listening impressions. Perhaps he will post them here.

At any rate I will post a full review once I get the player back.

StevenACNJ

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #23 on: 2 Jun 2004, 07:15 pm »
Levi,

I am sorry that I havent posted a review for my player, but I havent listened to it yet.

While waiting for Dan to finish the mods I got crazy urges to upgrade gear & start DIY projects for my HT system. Here is a list of some of the things I have done I am just about finished:

1. BPT 3.5 Signature (took a long while to get)
2. Built new power supplies for my 5 mono-block amps
3. Ran new dedicated 20 amp line with special cryo treated CVH wire
4. Built new IC's with cryo treated fine silver wire & cryo treated silver Bullet plugs (alla CVH design)
4. Upgraded EAD pre/pro to Lex MC12
5. All new power cords from CVH
6. Amp stands from Timber Nation
7. Finally I am currently in the process of rebuilding the crossovers and replacing internal wiring in my Tyler Acoustics HT speakers

So I will post a review once I actually get everything set back up and running.

Where in NJ & when is your June meeting?

Levi

Pioneer mod
« Reply #24 on: 3 Jun 2004, 01:32 am »
It looks like you have been pretty busy lately?  You seem to have caught the audiophilia nervosa bug.  :-)

The NY Audio Rave meeting is going to be held @ Closter, NJ
If you'd like please visit NY Audio Rave

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=10658

StevenACNJ

Re: Pioneer mod
« Reply #25 on: 10 Jun 2004, 05:38 pm »
Quote from: Levi
It looks like you have been pretty busy lately?  You seem to have caught the audiophilia nervosa bug.  :-)

Yeah I got that "audiophilia nervosa bug" alright - It bit me hard right in the wallet  :lol:

Thanks for the NY Audio Rave meeting invite (is this where all the Raver chicks hangout?) but not sure if that date works for me.

Levi

Re: Pioneer mod
« Reply #26 on: 11 Jun 2004, 03:22 am »
I don't think they found a cure for the bug.  Anyhow, so far we have one young female audiophile which regularly joins us audio geeks.  She is coming from CT and does not mind the commute.

If you cannot make it, then maybe next time.  Please keep checking the NY Audio Rave thread for updates.

Levi

Yeah I got that "audiophilia nervosa bug" alright - It bit me hard right in the wallet  :lol:

Thanks for the NY Audio Rave meeting invite (is this where all the Raver chicks hangout?) but not sure if that date works for me.

Nick V

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #27 on: 1 Jul 2004, 09:52 pm »
Does Modwright perform the basic analog mods on the 59AVi? I will likely be buying this unit within the next few weeks and would be very interested in getting these mods a few months afterwards. The basic multichannel mods along with the Bybee mods would make this a hell of a machine for the price!!

StevenACNJ

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #28 on: 2 Jul 2004, 11:11 am »
Quote from: Nick V
Does Modwright perform the basic analog mods on the 59AVi? I will likely be buying this unit within the next few weeks and would be very interested in getting these mods a few months afterwards. The basic multichannel mods along with the Bybee mods would make this a hell of a machine for the price!!

I am not sure about the analog mods to the player. Mine was modded for use with the digital coax rca out.

Talk to Dan about the analog modifications.

For those of you who are still waiting for my review, I had a small problem with the player and it is on its way back to Dan for repair.

After the problem is fixed and I get it back, I will definately post a review.

Welly Wu

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #29 on: 5 Jul 2004, 07:48 pm »
Hello StevenACNJ:

I'm Welly Wu and you responded to a thread I replied to in AVS Forum.  It seems we both have the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi.  It also seems we both have or will send the stock unit to ModWright LLC too.  Here is what I plan to have Mr. Dan Wright do:

Pioneer Standalone Multi-Channel Mod with AD8065/8066 op-amps
Level II Transport Mod
Power Supply Mod
LC Audio SuperClock X03 with Clock Supply Mod

$1100 USD + shipping

Because of your thread herein, I will closely monitor it.  I am also keenly interested in your impressions of the modded unit.  If all sounds good to your ears, then I will immediately ship mine to ModWright LLC.  I've saved up more than enough money to realize this dream of mine for quite some time now as Mr. Wright will confirm himself. ;)

At any rate, it seems that we have radically different applications for the modded Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi.  You seem to be using it with speakers whereas I am using it in a dedicated headphone rig.  You would be surprised how critical the source component is in such a configuration!  I believe in the source first philosophy.

I look forward to your review!

StevenACNJ

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #30 on: 6 Jul 2004, 10:52 am »
Hi Welly Wu,

"Because of your thread herein, I will closely monitor it. I am also keenly interested in your impressions of the modded unit. If all sounds good to your ears, then I will immediately ship mine to ModWright LLC. I've saved up more than enough money to realize this dream of mine for quite some time now as Mr. Wright will confirm himself."

As I just posted over at AVS forum - Dan is a very professional guy to deal with and does first rate mod work. He has a very loyal and satisfied following. I decided on Dan to do my mod work because of his reputation.

As I stated previously, I have had my player back from Dan for several weeks, but I did not get a chance to use it due to other work I was doing on my HT system. When that work was complete, I hooked it up and tried the player, but I ran into a small problem.

Dan was very responsive to my problem and we decided the best solution was to send the unit back to him for repair. He will have it this week. When I finaly get it back I will write a full review.

Welly Wu

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #31 on: 6 Jul 2004, 10:55 am »
I'll be waiting for that full review wherever you post it!

Levi

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #32 on: 6 Jul 2004, 01:03 pm »
Quote from: Welly Wu

Same here :peek: I heard negative results about those LCAudio Clocks.  I wish you luck.

StevenACNJ

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #33 on: 6 Jul 2004, 03:09 pm »

Same here :peek: I heard negative results about those LCAudio Clocks.  I wish you luck.

Levi,

What have you heard about the LC Audio clocks. I have no experience with them.

I previously did my own extensive mods to a Music Hall CD-25, part of which I installed an Audiocom clock & power supply which yielded excellent results.

Thanks

Welly Wu

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #34 on: 6 Jul 2004, 03:32 pm »

Levi:

Do tell!  What negative aspects did you read about those LC Audio SuperClocks?  Anything to do with the X03 and the Clock Supply?

Levi

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #35 on: 6 Jul 2004, 10:40 pm »
Don,

I just heard it from a reputable modder (not Modwright) who noted that the components in LCAudio clock is not the components he would use.  2nd, changing the clock of your CDp has a tendency to color the sound and sound un-natural.  Finally, I was told of having reliability issues.

I am sure Dan can overcome such obstacles.   Let us know when you get your unit back.

Thanks, Levi

StevenACNJ

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #36 on: 7 Jul 2004, 10:30 am »
Don,

I just heard it from a reputable modder (not Modwright) who noted that the components in LCAudio clock is not the components he would use.  2nd, changing the clock of your CDp has a tendency to color the sound and sound un-natural.  Finally, I was told of having reliability issues.

I am sure Dan can overcome such obstacles.   Let us know when you get your unit back.

Thanks, Levi

I would be interested in hearing Dan's or Kevin @ DIY Cable's comments on these LC clocks. I do quite a bit of reading at various audio forums and this is the first I am hearing of problems with LC clocks.

Levi

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #37 on: 7 Jul 2004, 04:49 pm »
To clarify things, I have not heard LCAudio clock upgrade so my information is limited and based solely on those who have attempted to install them.   Dan can install the LC clock and make it work without a doubt.

I was curious about the small problem with your unit?  All this time you have not listened to your modified Pioneer?   :sleep:

Thanks, Levi

...I hooked it up and tried the player, but I ran into a small problem.

I would be interested in hearing Dan's or Kevin @ DIY Cable's comments on these LC clocks. I do quite a bit of reading at various audio forums and this is the first I am hearing of problems with LC clocks.

StevenACNJ

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #38 on: 7 Jul 2004, 07:45 pm »
I was curious about the small problem with your unit?  All this time you have not listened to your modified Pioneer?   :sleep:

Thanks, Levi

Again, my entire HT system was down for several weeks and not in use while I was doing work to it.

The problem with the unit surfaced about 3 weeks ago. We tried a few things to see if we could resolve the problem without having to send it back to Dan. But that didnt work.

Dan should have the unit by tomorrow, I doubt that the problem has anything to do with the new LC clock but only Dan could say that for sure.

modwright

LC Clock
« Reply #39 on: 8 Jul 2004, 08:49 pm »
The problem with the 59Avi had to do with grounding schemes related to the new PS that I installed.  I did not encounter the problem on the bench or in my system, but apparently it did occur in the customer's system.  I do NOT believe this problem is in any way related to the LC Audio clock.

In fact, I have not had any problems with the LC Audio XO3 clocks at all.  I have had reliability issues with other mfrs. clock products, but the LC Audio units have proven to be excellent.

As far as parts quality on the units, I suppose that you could add Black gates and other expensive parts and this would drive the cost of the product up, but I believe that in this case, the money is being spent on good engineering.

Thanks,

Dan