Denon 3910 or Sony 999ES for video.

tnewell

« on: 17 Jan 2005, 07:33 pm »
Hi,

I am considering buying a new DVD/SACD player.  This unit will mostly be used for video DVD as I already own a Modwright 9000ES.  However, I would like to have the option later to have the unit modded.  As it appears Modwright can mod both these units, I was wondering which would be the better purchase for video quality.  Looks like the Sony is $300-$400 less than the Denon.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2005, 08:04 pm »
What's your monitor/tv/projector?  What connections (hdmi, dvi, rgb, svideo)?  What size screen?

Ted

maxwalrath

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2005, 08:57 pm »
Hi, maybe Dan could mod the video section as well. I have an old Technics DVD-A-10 that's been heavily modified by modwright. It replaced the sony 9000 in my system, and the video on the technics was clearly better. I don't think he did any video mods (I bought it used, don't recall), and I think the benefits are only from the bybees at the ac input.

I just assume the 9000 probably had a better picture than the stock technics because it received more accolades at the time and it was released a year or two after the technics.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2005, 09:11 pm »
My Platinum 999ES bettered my Momitsu (and the Momitsu had benefit of 720p rgb native into my projector) so I sold the Momitsu.  Dan's mods don't target the video per se, but the platter stabilization and AC Bybe filtering have great video payoffs.  

Ted

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2005, 11:27 pm »
Quote from: ted_b
My Platinum 999ES bettered my Momitsu (and the Momitsu had benefit of 720p rgb native into my projector) so I sold the Momitsu.  Dan's mods don't target the video per se, but the platter stabilization and AC Bybe filtering have great video payoffs.  

Ted

Ted,

Was the Momitsu the current DX version or an earlier one?  I have read that the newest DX version is substantially better than the previous versions.

That being said, according to the stats over at www.hometheaterhifi.com you won't do better than the Denon 3910 for video in its stock form.  Here is the link for the complete list and rankings:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all&type=&manufacturer=0&maxprice=0&deInt=0&mpeg=0

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2005, 12:24 am »
It was the first version, with updated firmware.  It was a nice picture, could scale rgb (via DVI-A) upt o 1080i and any custom resolution, but the picture was less stable, the blacks were not rock solid, and the overall build quality was very poor.  Great deal for $199 though.

When I just happened to throw something on the modded 999Es I was stunned, and that through component outs (i.e 480p).  

Yes, Stacey and the boys over at Secrets LOVE the Denon.  That's why I asked about his level of television/projector.  A 35 inch tube will not care about it, but a 120 inch hidef crt, now that's a different decision.

Ted

gongos

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2005, 12:55 am »
I've heard a lot of people say the www.hometheaterhifi.com tests and results aren't that great, ie testing a bunch of stuff you would never notice. Plus, their tests deal with progressive scan. If you have a good projector or TV, there's no need to use progressive since the projector or TV will deinterlace better than the player.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2005, 02:51 am »
Quote from: gongos
I've heard a lot of people say the www.hometheaterhifi.com tests and results aren't that great, ie testing a bunch of stuff you would never notice. Plus, their tests deal with progressive scan. If you have a good projector or TV, there's no need to use progressive since the projector or TV will deinterlace better than the player.

I wouldn't rely on the deinterlacer in most tv's, but that's just my opinion.  It's usually an afterthought.

Ted_B

tnewell

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2005, 05:05 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  

A little more clarification. Basically, I want a new DVD/SACD Player primarily for movies at this time.  I hate to put hours on my Modwright Sony 9000ES for movies.  At the same time, I would like to have the option, say, in a couple of years, to have the new player modified for audio.  

My RPTV is a Sony HiScan that is going on 5 years old.  I use the component video inputs.

I could probably go much cheaper than the 3910 or the 999ES for movies, but then I would lose the option to mod at a later date.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Tom

Fife12

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2005, 06:11 pm »
If your budget is not tight, I would recommend one player for audio and one for video.

gongos

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2005, 08:44 pm »
Why don't you want to use your 9000es for movies? It's probably as good as both of the players you're looking at.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2005, 10:12 pm »
Quote from: ted_b
Quote from: gongos

I wouldn't rely on the deinterlacer in most tv's, but that's just my opinion.  It's usually an afterthought.

Ted_B

I totally agree.

Of course the deinterlacer in my Marantz VP12-S1 pj is pretty darn good!   :lol:

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2005, 02:15 am »
I did say "usually"...........show off!!    :lol:

Ted_B

P.S.  Yes, with an somewhat older tv, no HDMI or DVI, I wouldn't worry about  picture quality differences that much.  Get whatever DVD player you can find that is future moddable.....since that is your No. 1 criteria.  In the meantime, your 9000ES will work fine, but I agree that you may not want to put a lot of mileage on it with the "lowly" DVD since you spent the $$ for the audio.

gongos

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2005, 08:19 am »
I have a 999es and a newer Panasonic lcd front projector, and I can't tell the difference when I switch between the progressive and interlaced options.

rbrb

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2005, 05:27 pm »
For the cost of buying a 3910 or a 999 you could just happily enjoy your 9000ES, if it ever wore out it can be repaired.

The 9000 would probably tick happily along for years with out problem. I would just use it and enjoy it with out worry of how much time I'm putting on it.

Who knows what will be on the market in two years, by then you may be ready for a Modwright upgraded HD DVD player. If you really want something for just movies for now I would do it as inexpensively as I can . Sony's DVPNS775V or DVPNS975V would be good choices.