Jazz Clubs in Toronto

DARTH AUDIO

Jazz Clubs in Toronto
« on: 11 Jun 2007, 04:25 pm »
I just picked up Toronto as part of my selling territory. Actually, I'll be in Markham for business but I will spend Friday night in Toronto. I was looking for some help with some really good Jazz Clubs and/or Clubs with good music. I haven't been to Toronto since my HS Class trip (31 years ago)!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

mcgsxr

Re: Jazz Clubs in Toronto
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2007, 04:28 pm »
Somebody help Gary out, I was not able to assist, as I never get out anymore!

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2007, 04:31 pm »
The REX, the Reservoir Lounge, Nawlins.

Joe Mama's has awesome rhthym and blues, funk and Soul type live bands.

Those are some of your best bets for great live music. I head out for live music quite a bit, if you're in town, PM me, and I'll show you around.

Cheers

Dmason

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2007, 04:51 pm »
Is the Glass Onion on Bloor/Bay still around? This was an amazing night out. Big name acts, I saw Oscar Peterson, Herb Ellis and Ray Brown there in '88. Not separately either. Great jazz club.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2007, 05:17 pm »
I'm not sure, I haven't hung around that area since the days of Rock 'n Roll Heaven at Yonge/Bloor in the early 90's. That was a great place to see anybody and everybody. One of the best rock nightclubs ever.

Cheers

Dmason

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2007, 06:08 pm »
I remember that place as well; in the basement. Lots of strange lighting, casting a glow on even stranger looking people. Went to see some band called, "3" on a weekday night; turned out this trio were none other than Keith Emerson, Carl Palmer, and some geek playing bass and singing. The instrumental parts were great. This from walking into that club on a weekday night. Lots of action within a four block radius of Yonge/Bloor. I would imagine the same still holds.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2007, 07:25 pm »
Yeah, on any given night, it could be anybody performing. A lot of big names used to just come up for the weekends and part too. It was an awesome place. Kinda like Toronto's version of the Roxy, or the Starwood.

Too bad it disappeared.

Cheers

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2007, 01:19 am »
Thanks Guys.. I'll check them out..

markC

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2007, 02:59 am »
You might try jazz.fm . They have a pretty good insight on what's going on in T.O as far as live venues go. On the FM dial , it's 91.1..when you get closer to the city.

Scott F.

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2007, 11:50 am »
Hey Darth,

Just found an old link to Jazz Clubs Around the World.
http://www.jazz-clubs-worldwide.com/

There are quite a few listed under Canada/Toronto