TAAS : Events Calendar 2007

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
TAAS : Events Calendar 2007
« on: 13 Feb 2007, 11:35 pm »
We've decided that for 2007 we will hold meetings for the general membership every other month.

Our Amp Comparo 2007 was the first event of the year, and was quite a lot of fun. We would like to propose that our get togethers be held on the second or third Sunday of every other month. ( Jan, Mar, May, July, Sep, Nov).

This thread will be used to announce what features we have planned for each upcoming event, so that members can have a quick reference guide for events.

We'd like your feedback on whether you prefer the second, or third Sunday of the month. So we'll start a poll, and then post the results.

Cheers

bolly

Re: TAAS : Events Calendar 2007
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2007, 10:28 am »
sweet d-g-o!  :banana piano:

west99

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2007, 12:05 am »
Hi Dayglo, can you or Sam sign me up?  I never signed up at CAM, then lost touch with you folks.
Who should I talk to?
Thanks!

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2007, 12:45 am »
west99,

Welcome to AudioCircle, and to TAAS. Send your full contact info to  spiritgraphics@yahoo.com.

He'll sign you up, and you can take me out for a beer, and that's it, you're in!  :wink:

Cheers

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2007, 03:30 am »
We are getting things lined up for our next TAAS meet. I've locked the poll we asked people to vote on regarding what weekend of the month was preferred.

80% preferred the 3rd week of the month vs 20% preferring the 2nd week of the month.

Our next event will be on Sunday, March 18, and again held at the same location.

Our main feature will be on analog front ends. John Costanzo from MKOM (My Kind Of Music) will be showcasing a number of turntables and ancillaries, and give us a primer on turntables and share with us his knowledge of setups, cartridges, tonearms, linestages and the like.

For anyone who's met John, you already know what to expect, for those who don't, you're in for a treat. John is one of the most enthusiastic audio guys around, and a real music lover.
 For John, the most important thing is that the music stir your soul, no matter what system you run, either digital or analog, tube or solid-state. You'd be hard pressed to find someone with more genuine passion for this hobby.

We are working on a few other things as well, and more details will follow...

Here is the link to MKOM's website, and a link to photo's taken at last years fantastic open house to the TAAS:

http://www.mykindofmusic.com/index2.htm

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=896

Cheers

rick ch

« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2007, 11:26 pm »
I love the "Bond...James Bond" picture of John on his webpage!

DonnieW

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2007, 05:37 pm »
For those who have asked, the meeting will start as always at NOON!!

aerius

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2007, 01:13 am »
Only 3 more days to go, I can't wait for the meet. :hyper:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2007, 11:28 pm »
Just bumping up this thread as a reminder of our next TAAS meet being held tomorrow Sunday, Mar. 18th.

Our feature will be John Costanzo from MKOM (My Kind Of Music). Our feature will be analog front ends. John will be bringing a variety of turntables, linestages etc... and demonstrating to us the various methods of proper setup and features to get the most out of your vinyl setup.

We'll also be featuring RAW Acoustics HT 8 model speakers. These are available for demo in the GTA.

We start at noon tomorrow. Don't be late!

Cheers
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2007, 11:39 pm by Daygloworange »

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2007, 11:29 pm »
You can add events to the calendar if you like... ;)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=calendar

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2007, 11:31 pm »
Never even thought of it.  :duh:

Cheers

aerius

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2007, 02:58 pm »
I might be about 15-20 minutes late since I need to grab something to eat first.  I'll be bringing some vinyl along as always, should be fun. 8)

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #12 on: 18 Mar 2007, 10:28 pm »
Another TAAS event in the books. This one was a a whole lotta fun as well. Learned a lot about turntables. Heard a lot of neat differences. And hung out with some great enthusiasts.

Thanks goes out to John Costanzo from MKOM for a great presentation.

http://www.mykindofmusic.com/index2.htm

Fullsize pics in my Gallery.

Cheers

JBLman

« Reply #13 on: 19 Mar 2007, 01:35 am »
Yes,

It was a privilege to listen to John Costanzo talk about the merits of analogue sources, i.e. turntables, tonearms, cartridges & phono sections. It was like turning back the calander to 1982 before the digital age descended upon us.

This session reminded me how good a well set-up analogue source could sound. I'm interested as I have over 300 LP's which I have not listened to in over 12 years. Think of all that music I'm missing out on.

I always say one thing. There is still no substitute for live music.

I have that itch to get back into vinyl. Is there any Linn Sondek LP12's out there anyone doesn't want any more?

Thank you,

Bill (JBLman)  :D

MKOM

• My Kind of Music by J & D Design
« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar 2007, 01:35 pm »
TAAS Membership:

Just a quick note to say Thank You to everyone who had a chance to attend our session yesterday.

It was a great pleasure for me to have contributed.

It was also great to obtain feedback on the various Analogue setups within our group.

I particularly enjoyed the dialogue along with the questions that were asked during our session. 

For me it certainly confirms that Analogue is alive and well.

I look forward to our next session.

Happy Listening,

MKOM   :D

MKOM

• My Kind of Music by J & D Design
Re: TAAS : REGA Tone arm upgrade
« Reply #15 on: 19 Mar 2007, 05:17 pm »
TAAS Membership:

As per our discussion at yesterday's session.....

For our members that currently own Stock Rega RB250, 300, 600, 700 & 1000 Tone arms, I have included a link which describes the step by step instructions on Re-wiring these Tone arms.

http://www.hi-fi.com/diy/rega/

It is not as difficult as it looks..... :o

The benefits are well worth the investment.   :drool:

Happy Listening,

MKOM   :D

aerius

« Reply #16 on: 20 Mar 2007, 01:11 am »
I think one of the best things about these meets is that they remind me of how little I know and how much I still have to learn about the world of audio, it keeps me open to learning new things and prevents me from getting set in my ways.  There's a lot of things which I'm still thinking over and trying to digest, mainly how we all heard more or less the same changes with regards to digital, vinyl, and the mats but interpreted them in vastly differing ways, along with having different preferences.  No wonder there's such a range of sounds in the audio world, every single designer's going to have his or her own vision of "what is good and right".

More comments later, as I sort out my thoughts...

markC

« Reply #17 on: 20 Mar 2007, 02:38 am »
No wonder there's such a range of sounds in the audio world, every single designer's going to have his or her own vision of "what is good and right".

I believe that what "is good and right" is the starting point for an individual. If it is crap to start with, it'll be crap in the end.

If it is "good" to start with, individual preference can take that beginning and  build ones system to where they are happy with it and can truly enjoy what it offers.

restock

• Tube system - Revolutions
« Reply #18 on: 21 Mar 2007, 06:44 am »
I am kind of new to Audiocircle and I just wanted to say hello to everyone here. As some of you know, I attended the meeting last Sunday and wanted to say thanks again for a great meeting and for welcoming newcomers to your group. It was a pleasure to meet everyone and listen to John's talk about analog and his different demos.

I am already looking forward to the next meeting.

With best wishes,

Rene

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #19 on: 21 Mar 2007, 12:31 pm »
There's a lot of things which I'm still thinking over and trying to digest, mainly how we all heard more or less the same changes with regards to digital, vinyl, and the mats but interpreted them in vastly differing ways, along with having different preferences.  No wonder there's such a range of sounds in the audio world, every single designer's going to have his or her own vision of "what is good and right".

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one as well. We all heard the difference between TT 1 and TT 2. I much preferred TT 2, while the majority preferred TT 1. The setups sounded quite a bit different. Then hearing the same material on CD. I preferred the CD to both TT's.

The speakers we ran this time were also different than the previous times, and it was interesting for me to hear peoples thoughts on them.

I'm realizing that I'm coming from a different background (decades as a musician and recording engineer) and looking for different things than a lot of people. I would have thought otherwise. But funnily enough, I have upgraded parts of my system and have had similar findings to what I've read others have experienced.

I find myself trying to reconcile this with the group listening sessions we've had during our TAAS events as well.  :scratch:

Cheers