« on: 17 Jan 2007, 03:38 am »
Hi
Any idea where I can find some bamboo cutting boards in Toronto
Ideally i'm looking for a tru bamboo retailer :icon_lol:

I'm working on some isolation tweaks for my power supply

Watson

Re: Bamboo cutting boards
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2007, 04:06 am »
I would suggest calling Teragren for a distributor referral (800 929-6333).  Their bamboo butcher block is very impressive.  I'm in Edmonton so I can't recommend a specific local distributor, but I have used Teragren's products before from their local wholesaler.  Also, just curious, are you looking for butcher block or just standard bamboo planks?  Bamboo is very hard so you often see just the wood itself sold as a cutting board.  If you've never seen the parquet butcher block, it's something else.  Nice pattern, and hard like you wouldn't believe.  Here's link with pictures of it:
http://www.teragren.com/parquet_butcher_block.aspx
Also, with bamboo, make sure you buy a quality product.  There is some variation.  I've seen generic product split along the glue lines, and there is also a color variation between the immature 3 year old bamboo and mature 5 year old stuff.  I have no experience with Plyboo, but I can recommend Teragren's product.

bluemike

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2007, 04:19 am »
I appreciate your reply Watson
To answer your question i'm looking for a butcher cutting block
There is a company called tru bamboo in the USA that fit's what i'm looking at
I wanted to avoid going online to make my purchase hence the reason for my post
Were you able to find something local in Edmonton
Which component(S) are using the bamboo platforms

Watson

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2007, 05:56 am »
I appreciate your reply Watson
To answer your question i'm looking for a butcher cutting block
There is a company called tru bamboo in the USA that fit's what i'm looking at
I wanted to avoid going online to make my purchase hence the reason for my post
Were you able to find something local in Edmonton
Which component(S) are using the bamboo platforms

I took a look at the Tru Bamboo website.  Apart from their "Key West" line, that's basically just straight bamboo "lumber" -- they are selling it as as a cutting block because bamboo is naturally a very hard wood, but that is not world's finest quality bamboo cutting block by any stretch.  It's not really suitable for traditional butcher block applications, because the long laminations will absorb moisture from meat drippings, etc. and it will split over time.  However, if that's what you're looking for (this is audio after all), it should be easy to obtain; you can get that type of lumber from any wood distributor who can import bamboo.  True bamboo butcher block is glued together in a parquet pattern to minimize any individual lamination expanding and splitting; also, bamboo is hardest along the end grain.  I'd imagine it is more expensive, but I don't have knowledge of the pricing differential.

I have never actually used bamboo parquet butcher block personally for a project.  I have used some of Teragren's more conventional bamboo products for carpentry.  PJ White in Edmonton, the local distributor, is easy to deal with and the people are friendly.  In particular, I've found that prices for veneer are about half what Oakwood (an online store) charges, and in line with what Tape Ease charges, without the hassle of dealing with border charges.  (If anyone is interested, note that Teragren only sells 20 mil thick veneer, not a 10 mil thick product.)  My comments on their butcher block are based on the sample block of the material PJ White has in their lobby.  It's really quite impressive.  If I was building a kitchen island, I would go with it rather than maple butcher block due to the hardness and uniformity.

Rafal

• Artwork by Rafal Gwozdz
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2007, 01:36 pm »
Try looking in a store like Homesence. I have seen bamboo butcher blocks there. The sizes, however, are limited because they are just that; butcher's blocks

fajimr

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2007, 02:12 pm »
can't answer directly.... but

I was walking the other day in montreal and strolled into an asian/kitchen store- they had some pretty nice bamboo cutting boards although they were pretty thin.  you might be able to find something in a similar store. 

does anyone know how thick these boards should be?  I know thicker is better but I passed on these particular ones as they were only 3/4" thick or so.

good luck
jim

gooberdude

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2007, 03:09 pm »
I tried bamboo a few months back...my folks bought me a really nice cutting board so it made perfect sense to try it as a stereo component!

its 1/2" thick, 12" x 15" and looks really cool.   In direct comparison to an end grain maple butcher block (another freebie), the bamboo sounded like crap....i think its too hard of a material to vibe properly.  By this I mean voices sounded tinny, the soundstage collapsed and a grain to the sound was audible. 

There was absolutely no comparison betw bamboo and the nice Timbernation plats i have...     I used it in a vibe draining sandwich with 2" pointed brass MS footers and Isoblocks under the board & my suspensionless turntable as the source.     

As a cutting board bamboo rocks - it doesn't seem to get marked up from sharp knives like end grain maple and i've even washed it in the dishwasher w/no issues.   There's no odor or anything yet, and i've had it a few years now.

In terms of boards to be used as vibration sinks i've always found flat grain maple to sound the best, but i can only compare it to other maple platforms (air & kiln dried), a maple butcher block (end grain), the bamboo board and several difft types of MDF shelving and stone/glass tiles.  Compared to these materials, flat grain maple is the Ferrari in a garage full of Yugo's.

My guess is that any tonewood platform of a decent thickness (mass) should bring about an improvement...the quality of the design of the footers is crucial though.   

Watson

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2007, 04:50 am »
its 1/2" thick, 12" x 15" and looks really cool.   In direct comparison to an end grain maple butcher block (another freebie), the bamboo sounded like crap....i think its too hard of a material to vibe properly.  By this I mean voices sounded tinny, the soundstage collapsed and a grain to the sound was audible.

I can't comment on the use of these woods as audio platforms (I don't have the experience there), but bamboo definitely has a higher frequency resonance when you rap on it with your knuckles than maple.  Maple may be more internally damped, or better at damping audio frequencies.  One wood that also might work well as an audio platform, just guessing based on the knuckle test, is oak.

dspringham

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2007, 02:48 am »
You can buy hardwood (not sure if Maple or Birch) butcher block cutting boards at Ikea (in kitchen accessories)
They are 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inches thick. Two styles are available one rectangular (15 x 18 I think) and one square (15" x 15").
They are cheap - something like $25.
I put my speaker stands on them rather than trying to spike through the carpet into the plywood subfloor. They work great.
I never tried them for equipment planks but maybe someone can try it and report back.

Regards,

David

lpgorbet

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2007, 08:17 pm »
I have no experience with these block platforms, but I can't help wondering how much, if any, of the differences observed between bamboo and maple blocks is due to the noted difference in thickness. I can't easily imagine any block only 1/2" thick would help much. So, has anybody out there tried thicker (2 to 3") bamboo blocks as amp platforms?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2007, 08:42 pm »
My experience with using Bamboo as a platform was similar to gooberdude's at first when I used a simple 3/4" material. I then laminated two 3/4" pieces together and things improved nicely but still not as effective as Maple. At least not in my application.

There are several speakers now housed in Bamboo cabinets so it would only stand to reason that it [can] be done. Maybe applying a dense damping material between two 3/4" layers? I also found that Bamboo was worthless when it was laying directly on a hard floor surface. After installing some brass cones, the presentation came alive.

You can pick up Bamboo wood flooring at Sam's Club and probably others as well. This is usually a tongue and groove design which will allow you to build up to your desired thickness and then cut the edges straight on the table saw (better have a really good, sharp blade). You will have to sand the clear finish before laminating though.

Bamboo is a very good wood for this purpose but does create a different sonic presentation. I found it to be very lively sounding which may or may not be a good thing depending on your personal preferences.

In regard to the various wood options, I still prefer Maple or Birch for platforms.

By the way, stay away from Marble. Unless you apply proper damping material, Marble will ring like fine crystal.
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2007, 06:30 pm by Response Audio »

Cacophonix

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2007, 08:51 pm »
I have no experience with these block platforms, but I can't help wondering how much, if any, of the differences observed between bamboo and maple blocks is due to the noted difference in thickness. I can't easily imagine any block only 1/2" thick would help much. So, has anybody out there tried thicker (2 to 3") bamboo blocks as amp platforms?

The ones u get at ikea are made of birch, and are of ordinary quality. But if you are just looking to them as amp stands, they should just fine. But they are no eye candy. Thats the only reason i didn't buy them. I had some 3/4" MDF cut into the dimension i wanted (16"x20"), and will be joining 2 of them together to get 1.5" thick MDF platform. Then i'm planning on veneering it with some figured bubinga ... That shud hopefully look great.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2007, 09:22 pm »
FWIW, in acoustic drum shells, Maple is the most resonant, with deep lows, Birch does not go as low, is more damped (doesn't resonate as much). Apparently, Mahogany has the most lows, is resonant, but doesn't have the highs that Maple does.

Cheers
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2007, 10:24 am by Daygloworange »

Fife12

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2007, 04:48 am »
My Costco butcher block is pretty good.
16 x 18 x 1.5 inches
$38cad but it may be a seasonal item

SET Man

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jan 2007, 01:39 am »
FWIW, in acoustic drum shells, Maple is the most resonant, with deep lows, Birch does not go as low, is more damped (doesn't resonate as much). Apparently, Mahogany has the most lows, is resonant, but doesn't have the highs that Maple does.

Cheers

Hey!

Hmmm.... interesting. :D I think this make sense to me since it is all about resonant. Wonder how this translated in to audio uses?

Anyway, isn't Cardas sell small wooden blocks to be use under audio components? If I my memory served me right I think it is a very dense hard wood.

It would interesting if anyone could compare how each type of wood perform as a platform or footer. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

TomS

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jan 2007, 01:46 am »
The Cardas are myrtle wood