Amp Comparo 2007

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Re: Amp Comparo 2007
« Reply #40 on: 24 Dec 2006, 10:18 pm »
Anybody have a killer pre amp that they want to bring along?

I don't know how to do a poll. Can anybody help out on that?

Cheers

DonnieW

« Reply #41 on: 24 Dec 2006, 10:50 pm »

Cheers

Usually only Mod's can create polls.  Spirit?

DonnieW

« Reply #42 on: 24 Dec 2006, 10:54 pm »
Anybody have a killer pre amp that they want to bring along?

Even better would be a direct source with volume control - i.e. high-end CDP.  I think a pre would mislead as you'd essentially be comparing a pre/amp combo (in addition to the CDP of course).  But I suppose its all relative if the same source and pre are used each time.

DonnieW

« Reply #43 on: 24 Dec 2006, 10:57 pm »
And one more thing... you need to accomodate both balanced and un-balanced connections in the choice of pre or cdp.  Not that it matters which one but it would matter if you had to change either the pre or cdp to accomodate a limited input amp.

bolly

« Reply #44 on: 27 Dec 2006, 11:58 pm »
Here a few more additions that will probably be attending:

Graaf GM50  (tube integrated)
Flying Mole DAD-M100 mono blocs (digital amp)
Electrohome PA-100 MK-1's.  (KT-66)

being that this is my first ampcamp  8) I wouldn't miss this for the... well, just say I'm not gonna miss this!  :drool:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #45 on: 28 Dec 2006, 06:12 am »
I think it's going to be a lot of fun. It'll be a good time regardless, I've met quite a few people again since our get together in November, and it's always fun.

Even better would be a direct source with volume control - i.e. high-end CDP.  I think a pre would mislead as you'd essentially be comparing a pre/amp combo (in addition to the CDP of course).  But I suppose its all relative if the same source and pre are used each time.

That's why I wanted to run the modded SB 3 directly into the amps. No pre-amp. The only buggaboo is that the modded SB 3 only puts out 1.1 volts. My amp says it'll take a 1.3 volt input, and it sounds OK with the modded SB 3, but it's not as loud as before with my CDP and pre-amp combo that I had before.

And one more thing... you need to accomodate both balanced and un-balanced connections in the choice of pre or cdp.  Not that it matters which one but it would matter if you had to change either the pre or cdp to accomodate a limited input amp.

I'm assuming all the amps attending will have just un-balanced connections as the norm.

Cheers

JohnR

« Reply #46 on: 28 Dec 2006, 12:17 pm »

Cheers

Usually only Mod's can create polls.  Spirit?

Anybody can create a poll. Click on the "Post New Poll" link, which is visible when you are viewing the Circle index:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=92.0

markC

« Reply #47 on: 11 Jan 2007, 10:45 pm »
Hey, it's been a week since someone has posted here-Holidayitus perhaps?
Dayglow; any updates on whats happening with the amp coparo meet?

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #48 on: 11 Jan 2007, 11:35 pm »
Hey Mark,

Everything is still a go. I've been keeping my eye on the poll. It looks like people would like to see this go over two days, which is cool with me, it might actually be better that way.

I've got a unit on audition from Eastern Electric called the BBA, (Booster Buffer Amplifier). I'm using it to boost the output of the modded SB 3. I'm testing it against my Adcom pre-amp. I also have a unit coming from Sonic Euphoria called the PLC. It's an autoformer based passive unit with a stepped attenuator that kicks up the output voltage of a source with minimal electronics.

Wayne from Bolder Cable is also working on getting something sent up to deal with the low output voltage of the modded SB 3. I believe his will be a transformer based unit with a discrete buffer.

I'm trying to find the most neutral way to boost the output of the SB 3 to drive all the amps inputs sufficiently so they're all on a level playing field.

Other than that, I'll just ask that everybody whose offered up their personal amps for the Comparo to confirm that they can attend on the weekend of the meeting.

I'd also like to ask that any members who plan on attending to cast a vote if they haven't already on the poll I set up for the Amp Comparo.

Cheers

DonnieW

« Reply #49 on: 13 Jan 2007, 01:53 am »

That's why I wanted to run the modded SB 3 directly into the amps. No pre-amp. The only buggaboo is that the modded SB 3 only puts out 1.1 volts. My amp says it'll take a 1.3 volt input, and it sounds OK with the modded SB 3, but it's not as loud as before with my CDP and pre-amp combo that I had before.

I've got a Transporter now... It could do the job...  I can even knock the room modes down with the BEQ! 

Nahhh... too much work.  I just wanna listen!

fewf

Re: Amp Comparo 2007 - Where?
« Reply #50 on: 13 Jan 2007, 09:45 pm »

was there a location post , perhaps I missed it?>

<>

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #51 on: 13 Jan 2007, 10:31 pm »
It will be held in Mississauga, in the Port Credit area. Lakeshore/Hwy 10 (Hurontario) area. The date will be the weekend of January 27.

If you'd like to attend, we'd like to ask you to send your full contact info to Spirit, the moderator of the TAAS circle at:

sam@spiritgraphics.biz

Cheers

Wayne1

« Reply #52 on: 18 Jan 2007, 04:29 pm »
I have mailed out a care package for you guys to play with.

I am sending up my Burson Buffer to use with Denny's modded SB3 for your amp comparo.

It will give you more than enough gain for use with any of the amps. It will also take care of any possible impedance mismatches.

I am sending along some speaker cables, quite a few interconnects and one overkill power cable.

I do hope that some of you will post your impressions of some of the gear.

Enjoy!

mcgsxr

« Reply #53 on: 18 Jan 2007, 04:32 pm »
I am hoping I can make it out to this one, and if anyone is interested, I could lug along my DIY Felicia balanced power unit, and y'all could hear what balanced power does for the PS on the SB3, I have found it excellent.

Let me know,

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #54 on: 18 Jan 2007, 04:45 pm »
Hey All,

I hate to do this, but the Nomad Audio Niagara won't be there.

I am building my first few with the new chassis, and they wont be ready until probably the day before the amp comparo.  I didn't want to send the old model since I am working on a series of improvements to make the amplifier even better.

Aside from that, the new chassis comes with great packaging that can easily be reused.  This will allow me to do a proper road-trip with it.  I will get one out to an interested party from your group right away. 

Sorry about this guys, but between the improvements that I am evaluating now, and the new chassis and shipping issues, I felt it was better just to keep it here for now and arrange something later, when I do not feel like I am scrambling to get things ready.

Apologies,
Paul Hilgeman
Nomad Audio

Syrah

« Reply #55 on: 19 Jan 2007, 02:28 pm »
Thanks Wayne.  As a fellow owner of two of your modded SB2s, I look forward to hearing the new goods.

phowell1

« Reply #56 on: 19 Jan 2007, 04:44 pm »
Hi Folks,

Would anybody be able to email me directions or an address to comparo 2007? I haven't been able to get in touch with Spirit- I think I have the wrong email address.

Thanks.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #57 on: 19 Jan 2007, 05:28 pm »
The location of the Amp Comparo will be at my place of business:

Custom Concepts
34-366 Revus Avenue
Mississauga, Ontario
L5G 4S5

We are located in Mississauga, near the intersection of Lakeshore and Hurontario (HWY 10)

We will be doing the Amp Comparo over 2 days. January 27th & 28th. We will begin at noon, sharp.

Spirit hasn't been able to answer all the newcomers, but will be doing so over the next few days. Just in case, for all newcomers, please email him your full contact info:  sam@spiritgraphics.biz

Cheers

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #58 on: 19 Jan 2007, 05:47 pm »
I'd like to once again ask that members who have offered to bring along their amps to get in touch with me and confirm what it is that they will be bringing and on what days they will be attending.

Thanks y'all,

Cheers

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #59 on: 20 Jan 2007, 02:31 am »
Bump.