Amp Comparo 2007

G2moscode

Re: Amp Comparo 2007
« Reply #100 on: 1 Feb 2007, 03:00 am »
Hi George,

I used the stock Moscode 401HR amp that we ship with the stock power cord. I used the Electro-Harmonix 6CG7s as the cathode followers for both days and they are what we ship.

On Saturday I used ECC88/6DJ8 in the first gain stage sockets. I grabbed 4 6DJ8s from our main office when I picked the amp up the week before. They were from our parts bin and were “virgin commies” that were pulled from Moscode 300/600s that have come in for upgrades.

On Sunday I used Sovtek 6H30pi tubes in the first gain stage and again those are what we ship the amp with. I didn’t use any super exotic NOS tubes or power cords.

The blind test was setup very quickly and nobody tuned their amps, they just set them in the group. I’m sure that given time to tune and setup, that all the amps could have performed better. This comparison was very ambitious, hats off to Denny and TAAS for setting this up. The event was informative, but not definitive with different types of amps, power ratings, tubes (PP/SET), SS, etc. One would have to live with each of these amps for a while to truly know how they would work in their systems.

I came away with a reinforcement of knowing that I prefer the sound of tubes, but that is my preference. Some people love bass, so they lean toward SS. I want human voice to move me and tubes do that.

I also came away knowing that Canadian hospitality is alive and well and that TAAS is populated with a good bunch of fellows.

Gage Rommel
Moscode, Inc.

Dunedain

« Reply #101 on: 9 Feb 2007, 07:44 pm »
markC:  That's the fun part about a listening session like this, you get to sit back just as a music/stereo equipment fan and let your ears do the talking.  :)  It allows one to be free from any subconscious bias and just objectively write down in their notes what they liked or liked less about the sonic qualities of each amp.  Even if you were a little nervous about rating your own amp without knowing it, it must have been very revealing when you finally found out which amps were which and checked your notes on each.  :)  Thanks to you and the other amp maker(s) for being good sports and bringing your stuff in for a blind test for comparison to other high quality amps.  :)

markC

« Reply #102 on: 12 Feb 2007, 11:13 pm »
Dunedain;
It was our pleasure to present the F-valve amps to the group. I would love to do that again with say... 3 or 4 different amps so that we could revisit the sound of a particular one. Even change tubes to have a group comparison of the different sound that tube rolling has to offer.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #103 on: 12 Feb 2007, 11:24 pm »
I'm sure we'll have opportunities to try different methods of doing comparisons again, with fewer amps, and make it a little more of an in depth comparison.

Cheers