Arrival

Art_Chicago

Arrival
« on: 23 Nov 2016, 07:13 pm »
Recommended! Not a thriller, but grabs you from the beginning till the last line. Go easy on popcorn though as you may miss some important details!

Folsom

Re: Arrival
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2016, 07:59 pm »
I thought it was the best movie since Interstellar. Not as good, but still a fantastic movie.

They gave some purpose to the flashback-drama-confusion-dark-tool.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2016, 08:18 am »
I also loved it!  It might not be fair to call Amy Adams underrated as she has been nominated for an Oscar but she absolutely one of the most versatile and talented actors out there.  She anchors the film wonderfully.  I loved the mix of fantasy and science that creates something of a parable.  A beautiful film, mostly quite but very powerful.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2017, 12:08 am »
Caught this one with my kids this weekend past.

Really enjoyed it.  Captivating from early on, kept the mystery going, and did not rely on the typical to make the point.

+1 on the Interstellar comment, this one reminded me of that too.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2017, 12:59 am »
I enjoyed it....but not what I was expecting.

I had the same complaint with Arival as intersteller...why do they have to make the scifi movies about love?
Just give me robots and aliens and spaceships. Enough with the damn Sci-Rom-Fi.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2017, 01:20 am »

I had the same complaint with Arival as intersteller...why do they have to make the scifi movies about love?

I sure didn't see a rom-com embedded within the film.  There was a relationship woven into the story, sure.  It's pretty easy to see why emotions are included in films- it's the reason most people go to them.  We like stories about people, not (usually) empty bombast.  Go see Transformers- it didn't seem to about anything at all. :lol:  Generally when all there is onscreen is eye candy with no relationships or plot a film gets trashed by critics and doesn't strike a chord with viewers.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2017, 02:22 am »

Someone's been forced to watch the Notebook a few too many times....

Pez

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2017, 03:59 pm »
I can't believe how great this movie was! Amy Adams was STELLAR, Jermey Renner was out of this world. Forrest Whittaker was... Forrest Whittaker.

Seriously though, I thought the cinematography was absolutely stunning and for the first time in a long time there is a sci-fi that:
  • Doesn't suck (Prometheus)
  • Isn't some lame nerdly homage to 2001 A Space Odyssey (Moon)
  • Isn't just some lame rewrite (new Battlestar Gaglactica :deadhorse: , George Clooney Solaris  :thumbdown: )

I found the story line compelling and the idea of what it was the aliens were there for really intriguing.

Not to get political, but I found it sad the way the Aliens were mistreated and sent back home. If you are into Sci-fi Thrillers that are more 'mind puzzle' than 'action oriented' then take a look at this one. Reminiscent of Contact and had a curio-piece/cult following feel like Spielberg's "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" Sci-fi meets mysticism.  Any way, two big  :thumb: :thumb: from me!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2017, 04:39 pm »
Haven't seen Arrival yet but will this weekend.  I do have to note that the Clooney version of Solaris was mediocre but the original Tarkovsy version is awesome.

Pez

« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar 2017, 08:40 pm »
Haven't seen Arrival yet but will this weekend.  I do have to note that the Clooney version of Solaris was mediocre but the original Tarkovsy version is awesome.

Yes, it was about as awesome as having a boiling hot pincer stabbing into my nose as my soul was slowly extracted from my body via depressive Soviet era acting. I'm not sure which version I'd rather watch sooner. :icon_surprised:

stlrman

« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2017, 02:52 pm »
Just saw the Blu-ray. Wife and I really enjoyed it !!
8.5 out of 10 stars

Mike B.

« Reply #11 on: 4 May 2017, 03:04 pm »
I watched it last weekend. Nice images, good acting, lousy script. The major fail for me centered around their attempt to make the audience try and piece everything together at the end.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #12 on: 4 May 2017, 04:38 pm »
I watched it last weekend. Nice images, good acting, lousy script. The major fail for me centered around their attempt to make the audience try and piece everything together at the end.

Hmm, that is what i liked it for...

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #13 on: 4 May 2017, 04:53 pm »
I was very disappointed. Why didn't they try to find out who tried to blow them up? Not something I would forget!

persisting1

« Reply #14 on: 4 May 2017, 06:40 pm »
Really enjoyed this film.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 4 May 2017, 06:47 pm »
I finally saw Arrival and it was an amazing experience for me.  Time, memory, regret, nostalgia and owning our choices - all that and so much more.  Loved this movie unreasonably. 

Yes, it was about as awesome as having a boiling hot pincer stabbing into my nose as my soul was slowly extracted from my body via depressive Soviet era acting. I'm not sure which version I'd rather watch sooner. :icon_surprised:
Oh, I have something even better - Stalker, which is Tarkovsky's best movie (IMO) is coming to Blu Ray!!!!  And not just that, but Criterion is the company doing the cleanup and remaster work.  Yes!!!!  You gotta come by and watch it this summer when it comes out:

Samac

« Reply #16 on: 4 May 2017, 08:49 pm »
Outstanding movie. Has it all; great story, dialogue, acting, soundtrack and filmed beautifully. Didn't really see it as a sci-fi film.

What would you risk and do for love................

Cheers,

Scott

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 4 May 2017, 09:26 pm »
So some Aliens with technology way more advanced then ours yet they cant decipher our English language. Go figure. :scratch:

Also notice in the movies Prometheus, Life and Arrival the main type of creature/alien they seem to have in common resembles a Octopus. Things that make you go hmmmmm  :)

WGH

« Reply #18 on: 5 May 2017, 12:12 am »
Also notice in the movies Prometheus, Life and Arrival the main type of creature/alien they seem to have in common resembles a Octopus. Things that make you go hmmmmm  :)

In Battlestar Galactica some aliens look just like us, others look like toasters.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #19 on: 19 May 2017, 06:44 pm »
I finally saw Arrival and it was an amazing experience for me.  Time, memory, regret, nostalgia and owning our choices - all that and so much more.  Loved this movie unreasonably. 
Oh, I have something even better - Stalker, which is Tarkovsky's best movie (IMO) is coming to Blu Ray!!!!  And not just that, but Criterion is the company doing the cleanup and remaster work.  Yes!!!!  You gotta come by and watch it this summer when it comes out:

Thanks for the info! I saw it in ca. 1988 for the first time, and was shocked by it even though  i loved the original novel by Strugatsky Brothers.  The book is a must-read if you like the genre.

https://www.amazon.com/Roadside-Picnic-Rediscovered-Classics-Strugatsky/dp/1613743416/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=