Qobuz Catalog Variety

sbank

Qobuz Catalog Variety
« on: 18 Jan 2021, 04:39 pm »
How happy are you with the selection of music and particularly hi-rez music on Qobuz? For "college radio, indy, alt-rock, singer-songwriter, etc." does Qobuz have the music you're searching for?

wushuliu

Re: Qobuz Catalog Variety
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2021, 06:42 pm »
I tried out Qobuz multiple times, both in beta stage for US launch and right after official launch. At that time they still didn't have multiple titles I wanted (e.g.Heart: Bebe Le Strange) and weak catalog in certain genres (world music) compared to Tidal.

I decided to give Qobuz another chance this month and am happy to see they finally have almost all the titles I searched for. They still lack one or two, but they've come a long way. The best thing about Qobuz IMO is the ability to permanently purchase titles in CD quality. That is by far the biggest selling point.

MttBsh

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2021, 06:54 pm »
The best thing about Qobuz IMO is the ability to permanently purchase titles in CD quality. That is by far the biggest selling point.

When I decided to subscribe to Qobuz a few months ago I too saw this as a selling point, but since then I've have little interest in purchasing titles that are available to play in Qobuz in high quality anytime I want to listen to them. To me, it is having instant access to most of the music I love in hi res and new releases every week that make my subscription well worth it.

wushuliu

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2021, 07:16 pm »
When I decided to subscribe to Qobuz a few months ago I too saw this as a selling point, but since then I've have little interest in purchasing titles that are available to play in Qobuz in high quality anytime I want to listen to them. To me, it is having instant access to most of the music I love in hi res and new releases every week that make my subscription well worth it.

Those titles can come and go at any time. They're not guaranteed to be there forever. Subscription price can change at any time. Online access can change at any time.

low.pfile

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2021, 07:23 pm »
sbank,
The genres you list are among the types of music I enjoy as well. I have not tried Qobuz yet, but I am also curious about the depth of their music library, as I am with all of the services – many review articles list the number of songs, not album count.

I am one month into the Tidal HiFi trial, and am comparing it to Spotify, which I have been using for about 10 years? and most important to me, in that comparison, is having the music I listen to. I am finding nearly the music and am actually building my library which I hadn't properly done to date on Spotify.

There are sites that transfer your song library from one music service to another. I didn't do a full transfer of my Spotify library to Tidal with tunemymusic.com, but as a test I selected a dozen playlists and only had a handful of songs not available on Tidal. So I suggest if you have any music library in any service you can check yourself if Qobuz has your albums of choice. It's free! Near the end of my Tidal trial I plan to check out Qobuz as well and compare it to Tidal, which I am currently satisfied with for content, UI and sound quality for my needs (non-hi res).

BTW, my listening habits shown here... http://www.last.fm/user/bpmandfps

gonefishin

« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2021, 04:30 pm »
It's free! Near the end of my Tidal trial I plan to check out Qobuz as well and compare it to Tidal, which I am currently satisfied with for content, UI and sound quality for my needs (non-hi res).

I would suggest overlapping the trial periods for a length of time so can have a fresher comparison between the two.

Myself, I'm torn between Quboz and Tidal.  I like the sound quality of Quboz better but the interface sucks compared to every other streaming service that I've seen. 

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2021, 05:40 pm »
I've been very surprised at the availability of lesser known artist/titles on Qobuz.  Not bands that may only have a local following, but Indie, Alt, Electronic known in their Genre.

I don't want Hi-Rez music that's simply been up-sampled and compressed. The only Hi-Rez I want to hear is what's been created originally in Hi-Rez or properly remastered in Hi-Rez.

mav52

« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2021, 07:27 pm »
I'm happy with Qobuz, I've found pretty much what I've looked for.  Now I don't think you will find everything ( 100% ) an artist has recorded on all of the services, to include Tidal or Qobuz,  Amazon HD or Spottily.   But I've got both Tidal and Qobuz and between them both, no real  issues at all. After all we spend more than the fee on booze, gas and food and junk.   Of course I have about 3300 CD's and 1735 LP's to fall back on.