7 pages into this thread and no cheap and cheerful anolog frount ends.

buckeyefanandy

My question is, do they exist?

Is there a cheap and cheerful turntable set up? :scratch:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Si Senor, Thorens TD 170-1 $600 with cart and dustcover, Music Hall MMF-2.2 $449 with same, Rega RP1 $445 with same. Three choices with cart and dustcover included.

charles

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
The best C&C analog setup I have been able to assemble is a used VPI HW-19Jr, preferably with at least a platter upgrade, Cambridge Audio 640P phono pre, and C&C cartridge of choice, presently for me a classic Empire that ran about $20 on eBay.  The baby VPI sees off all of the Music Halls, Regas, and Thorens tables I have around here with ease. not even close.  There is virtually nothing to break, adjust, or go wrong with the table itself so they can be purchased used with confidence.  The arms are almost always a Rega 300 or Jelco 250 variant, so nothing fiddly there either.

buckeyefanandy

I am jealous of that empire.  Love the look of those, but never see anything under $400 for one.

buckeyefanandy

VPI is on my short list, but they are hard to find.

putz

The best C&C analog setup I have been able to assemble is a used VPI HW-19Jr, preferably with at least a platter upgrade, Cambridge Audio 640P phono pre, and C&C cartridge of choice, presently for me a classic Empire that ran about $20 on eBay.  The baby VPI sees off all of the Music Halls, Regas, and Thorens tables I have around here with ease. not even close.  There is virtually nothing to break, adjust, or go wrong with the table itself so they can be purchased used with confidence.  The arms are almost always a Rega 300 or Jelco 250 variant, so nothing fiddly there either.

I recently replaced my Debut 3 with a HW-19 JR, Platter upgrade, Jelco 250 and Grado Reference Sonata. Cost $800 and best part was it was local pickup. Also using a 640P. About to try a Vista Phono 1 preamp which has gotten rave reviews from those who have one. Sold the Debut for $600 so it ended up being C&C for sure.

The VPI definitely blows away the Debut and I see them on ebay and Audiogon all the time for around $600+ depending on what comes with it. Keep an eye out and you'll find one.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
TheChairGuy (John) favors the direct drive JVC direct drive tables QL-5 QL-6, tricked out with clay and new feet- cost around $200-400 with new cartridge.  The QL-7s are getting not so cheap in comparison.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Used to be back in the day (23 years ago!) go to any Goodwill and search the electronics section. Some nice Dual would be laying there. Waiting for a new home.
As that flood of TTs dried up so did 'cheap and cheerful' where TTs go.
Now Goodwill might have one TT worth looking at once every few years!
Ditto typewriters, old telephones, toasters, floor lamps, various other audio gear,
Like i knew typewriters were dead when IBM Selectric typewriters sat on the shelves of the local second hands stores... for $15 each, STILL no takers..

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
What's a typewriter?

Wayner

Not sure if your a newbie to vinyl or not, but I really don't like recommending used tables to newbies as there can be lots of problems with them and unless your versed in all the workings and how to get things going, may not be the best route for you to take. That is your call.

If you are interested in a new table, I spent last winter buying (and sending back) 5 tables. They were Music Hall USB-1, Project Debut III, Stanton ST-150, the Audio Technica AT-LP240-USB and the Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB.

For $299, the AT-LP120-USB beat all of the others hands down. The Project was a POS as was the Music Hall. The AT-LP240-USB was nice but had a hum issue I could not resolve.

The AT-LP120-USB does have one problem, one that I know how to fix and it is with the anti-skating. In fact, it doesn't work. So I kept that TT and made an effective anti-skate counterweight.

All of those things said and with the new model from Rega, the RP1, that is the machine to recommend. It has a very nice arm, non-resonant platter and for under $500 is a best buy, brand new out of the box.

Wayner

94cdnm3

Sorry for being late to this discussion but Wayner, aside from the hum issue on the At-lp240, how did it sound in comparison to the others you tried out and especially in comparison to the At-lp120? Thanks.

JP78

The classic Technics SL-1200? Modded or /w Zu (?) accessories I believe it did well.

Bugs

The classic Technics SL-1200? Modded or /w Zu (?) accessories I believe it did well.

Gets my vote and you can upgrade it over time with all the mods availabe.

gilbodavid

there is one seriously cheap seriously high end solution, the Goldring Lenco L75. You may have to do a bit of diy on it BUT read this and get very excited: :o

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Lenco.html

i have owned 5 of them. My present one is with a rega RB300 with cardas rewire, michell weight and twl's hifi mod, and a denon dl103 cart that will be nuded then have a new aluminium body. All this can be further upgraded with an audiomod kit for the rb300, or even better some say, a rb250. At this point you may find yourself with a uberdeck that may transcend someone elses $20,000 setup. for more info go to the very friendly

www.lencoheaven.net.

Cost of my Lenco L75: $200 modded, my RB3oo: $150 modded, Denon dl103: $50 lightly used! Al mods done by me with no prior diy experience. :D

roymail

• Roy in TX
No one has mentioned the United Audio Dual turntables which are still available for cheap on ebay.  Also, there are a couple of places that can restore them to "like new" for a reasonable price.  I still have one that works great.  :thumb:

TONEPUB

Bill at FixMyDual does excellent work, and a fully restored table will set you back about $400.  Not a bad way to go.

Certainly a number of great inexpensive phono stages as well in the $100 - $300 range.  My personal favorite cheap phono stage is still to use a Hafler DH-101 preamp (can usually be found for about $50) and use the phono stage.

But unfortunately, none of these inexpensive analog front ends will transcend a $20,000 setup that is properly configured.  That's kind of wishful thinking, but it doesn't mean you can't have fun shopping the rummage sales.

simoon

Is $1100 (shipped from China) with arm considered 'cheap and cheerful'?

TheChairGuy

I do think many of the mid-to-late 70's and 80's JVC's were and are great bargains (the belt drive ones that ended about 1978 were nice, too), but one should note that with vintage tables you are also buying potentialvintage problems.

A wonderful top-of-the-line JVC QL-Y66F servo arm went kaphlooey on me after a year rendering it useless.  I didn't even want to scout around to find a tech worthy of fixing it.  Fortunately, about 6 months later I bought another vintage QL-Y66F and have that as backup to the VPI Classic I own now.

Great decks, in different ways, both of them.  The 2nd QL-Y66F cost me $400 I think - hopefully it will last the length of time.

Ie, belt issues, motor shorts, frayed wiring, etc.  If you're not put off by potential maintenance issues - they are great buys with very modest outlays to 'upgrade' them.

Some buy, or lease, new cars only for much the same reason.  They're pricier, but backed by warranties, etc.

Even a modest (new) TT costs a lot more than some decent sounding CD/DVD players today so that's why few if any TT's have been mentioned in Cheap n' Cheerful previously. TT's are cheerful, but in teh context of this circle, not really cheap.

Ciao, John

TheChairGuy (John) favors the direct drive JVC direct drive tables QL-5 QL-6, tricked out with clay and new feet- cost around $200-400 with new cartridge.  The QL-7s are getting not so cheap in comparison.

charmerci

Is $1100 (shipped from China) with arm considered 'cheap and cheerful'?

No.

But also, how likely do you think you'll get any service satisfaction from China if something goes wrong with the turntable in a few weeks? Or it being worth the hassle? Are you going to ship the thing back if it's a lemon? And if you want your money back and they don't give it to you, I think the chances are slim to none of getting it back.

simoon

No.

But also, how likely do you think you'll get any service satisfaction from China if something goes wrong with the turntable in a few weeks? Or it being worth the hassle? Are you going to ship the thing back if it's a lemon? And if you want your money back and they don't give it to you, I think the chances are slim to none of getting it back.

Hey, I was just throwing it out there. I wasn't making any judgment calls on the quality.

But, just for the record (no pun intended), a friend of mine ordered a 70mm acrylic platter and bearing assembly, a 2.6 kg outer stabilizer ring (only $219), and a universal adjustable VTA arm board from the same seller, and parts are of very high quality. Even exceptional would not be an exaggeration.